Notices

Drug driving charge

Old 12-07-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drug driving charge

I am nearly 5 months sober .. but it seems I still haven't got a handle on ODing on prescription medication... on Tuesday I ODed and then drove myself to hospital... i crashed into someone then crashed into a lampost... i got arrested and have been bailed following a hearing in January...

I feel sick with worry that i will go to jail... i've never done anything like this before, this will be my first driving offence, my first offence of any kind .. ever.. and i am facing jail time... i dont' think i can handle it if i went to jail...

the urge to drink my way out of this problem is so high I didn't know where else to turn...
Old 12-07-2012, 10:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I should just point out that no-one was hurt thankfully but it could have been a very different outcome ...
Old 12-07-2012, 10:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're going through this. I'm glad you're safe.

I have no idea what the laws are in Wales, but it might be a good idea to talk to a lawyer to find out more about the situation.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanx yeh i have a solicitor in place who is coming with me to my hearing in January.. he's also obtaining all the police records from when they arrested me as i can't remember anything so have no idea what i said...

i don't know how i'm going to get through this
Old 12-07-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have been convicted of DUIs (drunk) and I have been in your situation. Try not to let the fear drive you or to drink. It is what it is and you WILL make it through it. Stay sober and it and everything will be a lot easier to bear.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Get professional help with you're drug addiction and get a lawyer for you're drug charge. Wales is a lot harder on DWI/DUI then the USA and you may not get off lightly without one. Good look!
Old 12-07-2012, 11:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Are you going to AA meetings there?

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-07-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

action pack.. i don't have a drug addiction, just a tendency to overdose on my prescription medication... i have discussed this with my doctor after this event and she thinks i need to be on everything i'm on so i can't come off anything..

no I don't go to AA it's not for me... sorry..
Old 12-07-2012, 12:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hope the Judge doesn't sentence you to mandatory AA meetings then.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-07-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
I hope the Judge doesn't sentence you to mandatory AA meetings then.

All the best.

Bob R
Mandatory AA meeting by a judge is the WORST thing ever. Not only does it make people that don't need/want that recovery method, it is a HUGE annoyance to those attending AA.

I did the AA route several years ago for about 6 months. It wasn't for me, but I think its great for many, many alcoholics. In finding the right home group, I attended several meetings that accepted mandatory requirements. These people HATED it. They were rude and nasty and disrupted the meetings. They did not want to be there.

Bottom line....the Judge in his great way of thinking by sending alcoholics that don't want this just messed it up for the people that really wanted to be there.

IMO mandatory AA meetings are wrong.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KissMyTiara View Post
Mandatory AA meeting by a judge is the WORST thing ever. Not only does it make people that don't need/want that recovery method, it is a HUGE annoyance to those attending AA.

I did the AA route several years ago for about 6 months. It wasn't for me, but I think its great for many, many alcoholics. In finding the right home group, I attended several meetings that accepted mandatory requirements. These people HATED it. They were rude and nasty and disrupted the meetings. They did not want to be there.

Bottom line....the Judge in his great way of thinking by sending alcoholics that don't want this just messed it up for the people that really wanted to be there.

IMO mandatory AA meetings are wrong.
When some, who are mandated by the court, attend meetings around here they are welcomed as any newcomer is. Some "get it" and some don't. They don't mess us up to any degree

I have quite a few AA buddies whose sobriety began by getting those court papers signed each week. My sponsor is one ... 31 years ago.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-07-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Nobody was hurt, you're still alive, and you have a solicitor to deal with the charges.

I don't know about Wales, but in most jurisdictions jail is pretty unlikely for a first conviction where there are no injuries.

Follow your solicitor's advice, and otherwise put it completely out of your mind. Work on your recovery, and the incident will be just another thread in the tapestry of your life. Try to drink your way through it and it may turn out be the overture to a real nightmare.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your situation bluegem - I hope your solicitor will do their best for you.
You'll get through like others here have - simply keep moving forward.

I think you need to take a step back tho and honestly look at whats happening -

i don't have a drug addiction, just a tendency to overdose on my prescription medication...
whatever you call it, you and other people could have died.

I don't say that to be cruel - but it's definitely time to do something.

Have you discussed your incident, and your proclivity to over dose, with your Dr?

do you have anyone who could dole out your pills for you?

If AA/NA is out, thats fine - your call - but what exactly are you going to do about your problem?

D
Old 12-08-2012, 11:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

thanks for your responses...

I mentioned a while ago that I had a therapist that I was working on my problem with but we ran out of sessions a few months ago... I have now been referred back to the same therapist to start a year long course in DBT.. it doesn't start until January though so I just have to hold on until then...

I still haven't touched a drink, and really do want to keep it that way... I'm trying to get on with my life in the meantime but it's hard because i run my own business and now I can't get to many of my clients and the ones i can reach are either a few buses away or a very long cycle ride.. either way it's not something i've done before, i rely on my car for everything, it's going to take some adjusting to...

I'm thankful that no-one was hurt and I hope I can do something to relieve the guilt I feel, not only to the person whose car I hit but also to my friends and family who have been there to support me..

life feels hard at the moment, just when i think i've reached the bottom I seem to sink below the line..
Old 12-08-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

In the UK it is highly unlikely you will go to jail for a first offence unless you kill/injure someone else and/or are way way over the limit.

It is an automatic minimum 12 month driving ban -you may get more if your reading was high , plus a fine of course.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

well today was the day i was due at the police station... i got a call from my solicitor first thing in the morning to say that the blood test results had come back clear of all illegal drugs and alcohol (which i knew it would) and that they were dropping all charges against me...

i might get points on my license.. but that's it.. i think they took into account that it was prescription drugs and my mental health at the time... I feel so relieved and so thankful that no-one was hurt and I will never do anything like that ever again...

still have a few hoops to jump through to get my license back as the DVLA are now investigating my fitness to drive on mental health grounds.. but my doctor is supportive so hopefully it will all work out in the end...

thanx for all your support..
Old 01-30-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's wonderful news, and good for you for getting through this sober.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congratulations! That's great news!

As for your work, maybe you could get a driver, or an assistant or even student intern (no idea what you do) to drive you around?

One advantage of having a driver - in addition to the obvious one of getting around - is that you can work while you're in transit, especially these days with Blackberries and such.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Cool

"...i don't have a drug addiction, just a tendency to overdose on my prescription medication..."

As stated earlier, call it whatever you will, but for me and my NA buddies, we'd say we had a drug addiction if this was the case.

(o:
NoelleR
Old 01-30-2013, 09:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am glad that things went well!!