Notices

Christmas Party Tonight

Old 12-07-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Christmas Party Tonight

Last year when I went to this Christmas party, the cops were called to my house...

I am excited to get all dressed up and see people I haven't seen for awhile. I have been told many times recently that I look 'really good.' I am sure that is due to the fact of not having alcohol in my system for awhile. I have an escape plan for the night. I am driving myself, it is very close to my house. I can just leave any time and that feels great to know.

So why am I craving booze? Is it the rush from the alcohol that I am craving? It is certainly not the taste nor the sloppy drunkenness antics or the hangover that I want. Is it the social stigma that everyone is doing it that I crave? Or is it the sugar that I want? I have been eating a ton of sugar lately.

Why do I still crave alcohol when I know that the outcome of drinking has been so horrific? The question of the day...
Old 12-07-2012, 08:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can have a craving or thoughts about drinking. I know I think this way often, I'm an alcoholic. It's more about what you actually DO in my opinion... Sounds like you've got a plan and you came here today and posted about that plan so you're not going to drink! As they say, "play the record to the end" - it would be fun for a bit until it turned into a disaster. At least that's my experience. I DID occasionally have fun drinking at parties but then I woke up in strange places wondering what the hell happened the night before. Not so fun.

Good luck at your party you can still enjoy it and be sober. I believe in you.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Patty! I am feeling the same way. Have a party to go to for my husbands work. Have a super sexy outfit, feeling great, going to be 6 months sober on the 11th of December. But also feeling anxious.
It is something we can get through. I keep reminding myself that it won't be me getting hammered and making an ass of myself. As much as I do think of drinking, the not drinking will be the choice that keeps us alive.
Good luck and have a blast!
Old 12-07-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
DAB

My Christmas party fo work is next week, also at an alcohol serving establishment.
I love the taste of beer, I love the feeling it gives me after moderate to slightly heavy consumtion, I love the social in it provides.
That being said, I know that it's not an option for me.
If I try to control my drinking, I don't enjoy it. When I try to enjoy my drinking, I can't control it.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Two weeks sober, craving booze, going to a booze fest. Sounds like thin ice to me even with an escape plan. Sobriety is all about choices
Old 12-07-2012, 09:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lots of great stuff on this thread, guys. Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the feed back! I agree that it is on thin ice, MIRecovery, but I know I can do this. I have been praying and will take the party one moment at a time. Thank you to all! I plan to post once I get home and will, cross my fingers, post about not drinking.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by pattyj View Post
Thank you for all the feed back! I agree that it is on thin ice, MIRecovery, but I know I can do this. I have been praying and will take the party one moment at a time. Thank you to all! I plan to post once I get home and will, cross my fingers, post about not drinking.
I will say a prayer for you. Remember it is the first drink that kills you not the last. NO FIRST DRINK!!!!!!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I will say a prayer for you also
Old 12-07-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Why are you craving?

Addiction.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Patti, I know you can do this. Eventually we are all around people who are drinking whether at restaurants, parties etc., but you will pass this test with flying colors!

We crave it because we have trained our bodies/brains to need it. My doctor once told me that it can take quite a while to repair the damage and the circuitry in the alcoholic brain. Hang in there!
Old 12-07-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Xune, to put it blunt, you are spot on! Thank you Nikkipoo, for the inspiring words!
Old 12-07-2012, 12:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Last year when I went to this Christmas party, the cops were called to my house...

I am excited to get all dressed up and see people I haven't seen for awhile. I have been told many times recently that I look 'really good.' I am sure that is due to the fact of not having alcohol in my system for awhile. I have an escape plan for the night. I am driving myself, it is very close to my house. I can just leave any time and that feels great to know.

So why am I craving booze? Is it the rush from the alcohol that I am craving? It is certainly not the taste nor the sloppy drunkenness antics or the hangover that I want. Is it the social stigma that everyone is doing it that I crave? Or is it the sugar that I want? I have been eating a ton of sugar lately.

Why do I still crave alcohol when I know that the outcome of drinking has been so horrific? The question of the day...
Are you in a recovery program? Just curious, Thanks.....
Old 12-07-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

grazfather, I am not in a recovery program at the moment. I have used this site and one other for help to become sober. I haven't had the guts to attend an AA meeting yet but I'm guessing I probably should since they would be able to give me answers...
Old 12-07-2012, 04:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good luck, Pattyj. I went to my first sober holiday party last week. I didn't stay long. I said hello and shared pleasantries with a few people and slipped out after about 30-40 minutes. There was heavy drinking going on which didnt really bother me but that might have changed had I stayed longer and people got drunker. I noticed for the first time how foul alcohol smells. I found it nauseating actually. I have my department holiday party coming up soon. Last year I ended up blacking out and woke up the next day in bed with a co-worker..eeeekkk!! mortifying to say the least.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Hope the decision to go didn't backfire on you.

Our company party was last night. I declined to go. Parties are social events that make me uncomfortable. Early in my recovery, I determined that much of my drinking in social events was to mask discomfort. I choose to avoid discomfort now, even "holiday" discomfort.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Hope things went well for you if not keep coming back
Old 12-09-2012, 06:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Hope things went well for you oops posted twice
Old 12-09-2012, 06:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Halzuzu View Post
Good luck, Pattyj. I went to my first sober holiday party last week. I didn't stay long. I said hello and shared pleasantries with a few people and slipped out after about 30-40 minutes. There was heavy drinking going on which didnt really bother me but that might have changed had I stayed longer and people got drunker. I noticed for the first time how foul alcohol smells. I found it nauseating actually. I have my department holiday party coming up soon. Last year I ended up blacking out and woke up the next day in bed with a co-worker..eeeekkk!! mortifying to say the least.
THANK YOU so much for sharing this!

This type of share makes me feel less on my own for all the ridiculous things I have done when drinking.
Maybe we should have a thread to share some of the mortifying things that happen at christmas do's as a reminder that it is one night, it is work and it is really not flipping worth it!
Old 12-09-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It's very possible that you're wanting to drink because you're feeling uncomfortable with yourself. Every time I think of drinking there is something going on inside of me. I am either mad at someone, feel slighted by something, or uncomfortable in general.

The best way out is to stop, pray, focus on others, and right actions. Once these are done, the feeling of wanting to drink magically goes away.

Best of luck.