Notices

Christmas Party Tonight

Old 12-13-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Patty, It is my experience that some kind of support network was vital to continue my sobriety. I came to AA on day number 1. I haven't looked back! I love the fellowship, the service the sense of belonging. I have 135 days clean & sober today and have been to about 170-180 meetings, sometimes as many as 4 in a day!! I have a home group, a sponsor with 34 years of sobriety. I was scared to DEATH on day 1. NOW, I walk in a meeting everyone knows me b ecause I am around so much. I also have taken the step work to heart and just recently completed my 5th step and have begun addressing making amends. I LOVE AA!!!!! I never thought I would say that but I do!!! Give it a shot, it is sooooooooooo much better than "White Knuckling" it through...Be well, mabe I will see you on that road to a happy destiny
Old 12-13-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

your craving comes from your old habits. this is something you are used to.

you are used to going to a party and drinking, going out without booze is just as strange as going out without pants on. i always crave pants when i go out!
Old 12-13-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Patty, you're probably just missing your old life where you could do whatever you wanted to. You probably feel a little cheated that your friends can drink and you can't, and probably feel a little unsure about whether you can have fun at the party without drinking. I think a lot of it is social. I've felt the same way before many occasions. Sugar may play a part in it, I have huge sugar cravings now that I never had while drinking. So much that now I have to cut back on those. Oy!!

I think you'll do just fine. You have a good plan. When I was waitressing there was another waitress who was very attractive and very young. When everyone else was partying she used to always drink water with lemon and used to say "this is the best drink for anyone" and really stuck to her guns. I think of her when I'm at these parties and it helps. Have fun!
Old 12-13-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I wonder how she made out?
Old 12-13-2012, 10:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Originally Posted by grazfather View Post
Patty, It is my experience that some kind of support network was vital to continue my sobriety. I came to AA on day number 1. I haven't looked back! I love the fellowship, the service the sense of belonging. I have 135 days clean & sober today and have been to about 170-180 meetings, sometimes as many as 4 in a day!! I have a home group, a sponsor with 34 years of sobriety. I was scared to DEATH on day 1. NOW, I walk in a meeting everyone knows me b ecause I am around so much. I also have taken the step work to heart and just recently completed my 5th step and have begun addressing making amends. I LOVE AA!!!!! I never thought I would say that but I do!!! Give it a shot, it is sooooooooooo much better than "White Knuckling" it through...Be well, mabe I will see you on that road to a happy destiny
Why would patty be white knuckling it because she does not attend aa??? Many many people quit drink and drugs on there own, and to be honest they have a higher success rate of staying sober than traditional 12 steppers!!!

Keep up the good work patty, you can always look into avrt, smart, any many more recovery programmes!!!
Old 12-13-2012, 12:14 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the feedback. I think I do need something face to face when it comes to support. As much as I love this site, I also like talking with people and don't have someone who is in the same situation as me or something like it. I will look into a few recovery programs to try out and see what works for me. Thanks!