Notices

Today has to be the day......

Old 12-07-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today has to be the day......

Everything changes!!!

I just felt my stomach sink as I typed. No ummming and arrring I've logged on and decided today is the day as I watch my daughter sleep on the sofa because she's been sent home poorly I know she needs me as do my son, they need me to be the best parent I can be and not just an ok one.

My husband is taking on a lot of the pressure so I can work through some issues but there is only so much he is going to take as he told me last night I will never move on if I keep living in the past. The four of us in this house is what's important and nobody else.

What will I do different this time?? Try my hardest to keep positive.

Hope your all keeping well x
Old 12-07-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Dorris View Post
What will I do different this time?? Try my hardest to keep positive.
I hope that's enough to get you through. Most of us, including me, needed more. I found a goal without a plan is just a wish.

I wished myself sober for ten years. Never worked.

I understand you've rejected AA as a recovery option. That's your call. Have you looked at any other recovery methods?
Old 12-07-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keep coming to SR we are all here to support and love you until you can love yourself ya know?

Glad you're here. I hope you can accomplish your goal today. It sounds like you love your family very much.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with Carl. A plan of action is key. There are lots of options discussed on this site. What might work for you?
Old 12-07-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You sound determind! Thats great. I agree.....have some kind of plan and coping strategies for potential rough patches.
You can do this!
Old 12-07-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

get to a meeting if this is your last day
reach out and someone will help you
i said this is my last day for 2 years
Old 12-07-2012, 09:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There you go - half way there already being super positive !!

What matters is you and your family your so right!

Good luck !! :-)
Old 12-07-2012, 09:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I found looking at sobriety one day at a time has allowed me to stay positive. The doom and gloom would set in once I started looking far into the future.

You can do this, we all can. And while being positive is a big help in staying sober, you need a plan to keep it that way.

Keeping coming here and reading and posting. Also, it never hurts to look at different recovery methods that are out there.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dorris View Post

What will I do different this time??
Dorris, this may be the time to reach out for what you need.... not necessarily what you want.

I wish you the best.

Bob R
Old 12-07-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Obviously I'm not going to overcome my addiction to alcohol with only a postive thoughts but the depression and exhaustion I would experience after a meeting would stay with me all day. I tried several different meetings and kept going back in hope I would see it different.

My plan is heal the hurt inside of me and learn to accept my past and move on and be happy and at peace with myself so I don't go into self destruct mode and turn to the bottle to hide those feelings. I plan to take it one day at a time, check in here and search out other possible routes to over come my addiction to alcohol. I will contunie to see my councillor each week and work through some very bad stuff.

I can see AA works brilliant for many people and if it's not broke don't fix it, I wish everyone well in recovery x
Old 12-07-2012, 03:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found I needed to do something different from last time to get a different result.
For me it was as simple as posting here as often as I needed and using the support...and above all never drinking again, no matter what.

I hope you find what you need and that this time will be your turning point Dorris

D
Old 12-07-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Posting and reading here really helped me, too. No one else in my life understood, and it was comforting to have the support. Proud of you for trying again Dorris. We know you can do this and have a better life.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Dorris,

Glad you are back and starting again. I have used SR as my main support, posting here daily keeps me accountable. I have been reading a lot, exercising and spending time with my kids.

AA wasn't the right fit for me either, there are lots of supports you can put in place. Looking forward to continuing on this journey with you!!
Old 12-07-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dorris, it sounds like you have a good plan to help you with your recovery. I was overwhelmed with depression and negative thoughts too, and I know how difficult that can be to overcome. It's great that you're seeing a counsellor. I have found that meditation can be really helpful to calm my mind. As Dee said, posting and reading here is always a very positive thing to do.