Notices

Hello? Wine is Booze.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:18 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yes, a bottle of red wine just looks SO innocent amongst all the healthy salad and produce section of whole foods. And they are always on sale! Nevermind I'm going to drink that whole bottle of red in one sitting and never eat the healthy salad to go along with it, but a big burrito or something heavy.

I never understood how my wine collector friends could have 20 bottles of wine just sitting in their kitchen unopened for weeks and months on end. They just sit in their kitchen like a decoration and they choose which one they want to open and only pour one glass and thats it for the night. How the hell do they do that? If I had 20 bottles of wine in my kitchen I'd be dead for sure.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Hah. I loved wine. I remember a friend of mine, after I quit drinking, telling me that he felt soooooo sorry for me that I couldn't even enjoy a nice glass of wine with a meal.

Except that for me, wine is like a nice-tasting, slow acting glass of arsenic. Blech!
Old 12-07-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

. Right. A GLASS of wine. Sounds so cultured. I was thinking about a friend of mine who teaches fitness classes all day and then goes home to have a "glass of wine." Her husband was wealthy and her life seemed so leisurely and attractive....I wanted to be like that.

However for me it was hitting the grocery store, walking straight to the liquor section, grabbing a bottle and taking it home to finish it.

Most of television appears to be a wine commercial, I agree. It's almost like what they used to do with cigarettes, everybody sucking on Chesterfields and etcetera. Thin, pretty, sexy dolled up cougars and beautiful female detectives, fingering the stem of a glass.

Eeeyep.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:53 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Comparing cigarettes to wine is apples to oranges.

Alcohol is only bad when it is abused.

I don't think it is wise to project negativity towards a product that is perfectly safe for consumption when used responsibily.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Cigarettes were part of my husbands demise...I despise them!
Old 12-07-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lilly3 View Post

I never understood how my wine collector friends could have 20 bottles of wine just sitting in their kitchen unopened for weeks and months on end. They just sit in their kitchen like a decoration and they choose which one they want to open and only pour one glass and thats it for the night. How the hell do they do that? If I had 20 bottles of wine in my kitchen I'd be dead for sure.

Before I decided to stop I always dreamed of having my own wine cellar one day. But obviously it's hard to collect wine when you drink three bottles at a time! I'd sometimes get a doze or so bottles built up but I was under no illusion that I'd "save" them. The longest I ever kept an unopened bottle was 10 months. My brother got me a very nice bottle for Xmas and I decided to save it for a "special occasion." I don't remember if that occasion was really special or if I just ran low and was too lazy to go out and buy more!
Old 12-07-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

This topic reminds me of the movie "Sideways". I never liked wine but I imagine that for anyone who does, that movie is likely one massive trigger since all they do is drink wine and talk about it.

Supermarkets around here aren't allowed to sell alcohol I don't think, and if they do I think it can only be mixers and low percent beer, wine coolers... I've never seen wine or spirits in the grocery store.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Sideways is quite a trigger, but I do love the movie. I would say they are problem drinkers, at the very least. The drunk dialing, lol. Something I never did, actually.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Fellow wino here! I was at our grocery this afternoon picking up prescriptions. I was trying to figure out what percentage of the entire store is devoted to liquor? I don't know for sure , but it seems like between 15-20% - maybe more. Our store also has wine tastings and sends e-mails to wine lovers.

Ever hear of WTSO? I used to belong, it stands for Wines Till Sold Out. They offer good wines at steeply discounted prices and ship it Fed Ex - right to your door. Man, the Fed Ex truck used to stop here a lot!
Old 12-08-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Geenie View Post
There are ongoing attempts by the medical profession and some government people here in the UK to get prices up, and try to convince supermarkets to act more responsibly. The supermarkets have wine piled high from the moment you walk in and on the end of many aisles, including the dairy, where I buy my milk and yoghurt from!

I had a dental appointment yesterday at 9am, yes 9am. On the reception desk were mince pies and glasses, with bottles of sherry and wine ready to be poured for customers who wanted a bit of Xmas cheer. The last place I was expecting to see alcohol and it threw me for a bit and shocked me, because I was there to receive expensive treatment on some of my teeth, due to enamel loss and pain from years of alcoholic wine drinking.
The dentist is trying to ensure future customers!
Old 12-08-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Former wine lover here as well. Have done many winery trips, and spent way too much money on wine of the month clubs (to supplement my daily purchase!)

This week there was a message on my cell phone from a winery letting me know about a holiday special release and sale for select customers. I guess I am getting better at this recovery thing because I chuckled to myself and deleted it.