Notices

The Lies We Tell

Old 12-06-2012, 09:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I can totally sympathize with you.

I have a similar story - I was less than honest on a job application about being convicted of a crime (I have a DWI.) I checked no.

I then had a weekend-long panic attack regarding my dishonesty and was unsettled about it until I met with HR. I had rehearsed my explanation so many times. Funny thing is, now I can't even remember how I came out with it or if I even did. I am sure they knew about it since I got a background check, but I can't recall if they asked me about why I wasn't upfront about it. I did end up getting the job. And I will never lie about something like that again...

Don't make a bad situation worse by telling more lies! I hope you are sober now and taking care of yourself so you won't have more of these situations to deal with in the future.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I wish you luck and I hope your boss is understanding. There comes a time when we have to stop the lies, come clean and accept the consequences. Often those consequences unfold over a span of months or even years. All you can do now is be honest and start your life over from this "new day one." From this point you will do what you've said you'll do. You can't change the past but you can start to move down a path to a better place.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:06 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Expert Beginner

Think about what outcomes you can achieve. What your actions will lead to.

You can continue to lie, and feel guilty, anxious, knowing he'll find out, and you'll have to confess. or
You can think about the course of action that leads to no more worry, acceptance that this is the situation, it will pass, even if you lose your job, know that you are making positive steps towards changing for the better..

One path leads you around in circles, the other leads you at least towards where you value.

What is, is. You can't argue with reality. Doesn't matter what happened 5 minutes ago, won't matter what happens 5 minutes from now - only right now. And it will pass.

--

also, just remember that if you look at any negative thinking with a curious and inquisitive positivity, you often see that it's basis is some insignificant little thing that has no real value and so you can acknowledge it and let it go, or you find that whatever ominous negative feeling that seems to affect your choices and actions is really just background 'noise' and dissipates as soon as you see it.

Expand your mind to let these things breathe, then query them as if you've never done it before.. I find they become far less problematic, even if that's not the point of what i'm doing.. The more you fight against negative feelings, the stronger they are. Embrace them and sometimes they become meaningless..