Notices

Day five, I am so tired and stressed and CRABBY

Old 12-06-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day five, I am so tired and stressed and CRABBY

I'm not sleeping very well at all. When I'm drinking it's no problem to be this exhausted because I don't plan on doing anything during the day but go home and kill another bottle of wine, thus making myself pass out. This has basically been my highest expectation of myself for the past couple years. Just make sure I pass out at night.

Can't do that, so I'm not sleeping very well; restless and exhausted when I wake up. I overreact to things and I'm overwhelmed.

I have to watch my temper. I've been running hot all week. And stress -- I need to move my body and I feel terrifically constricted, like I'm shrinking in on myself.

This all got solved pretty fast half a bottle in. At the moment though the thought of any kind of alcohol at all just grosses me out.

I just wish I could sleep better, and I wish I had the energy left at the end of the day to exercise more.

But. I'm gonna make it. Day five. Yay me.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Day 5 for me too. To start with I couldn't sleep, but I'm now sleeping well and have so much more energy. I suppose we are all different regarding how our bodies recover and react to the sobriety. I drink lots of herbal teas in the evening and I'm going to bed much later now (that I'm no longer passing out)
Day 5....yes such an achievement well done!
Old 12-06-2012, 05:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Grats to both of you!! 5 days is really awsome! Keep going, it gets better and better and better ;-)
Old 12-06-2012, 05:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there. It gets better. I drank TONS of hot tea the first few months. Especially in the evening.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Day 5 felt like that for me, too medicatrix. I also had crawly skin, itching, paced all over - whined and moaned about everything, etc. Our bodies are trying to heal - we've put them through so much. You should start feeling better soon. You're doing great.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'll say "Amen" to the first few weeks stinks chorus. I sleep fine drunk (I slept, not sure how restful it was). After the first week or so, as the poison left my body and the symptoms subsided, I felt so much better. Being crabby and short is a common result as well.

Glad you are sticking with it, I thought my issues were solved with a 12 pack a night, but I am so glad I am separated from that last beer 54 days ago.

Toss
Old 12-06-2012, 06:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you're having trouble sleeping I'm on Day 8 and only sleep because I was prescribed a sleep aid.

As already said, it takes our bodies some to adjust. I know, it sucks. And it makes us tired and crabby. But we need to power through it knowing that it will get better.

Congrats on Day 5! You're doing great!
Old 12-06-2012, 06:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats and I hope it gets better!
Old 12-06-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hang in there, everyone who is hurting in this thread. You may not sleep as long as you'd like - or as soundly - any time in the near future. But you'll be more rested, somehow, if you stay with it. I look at pictures of myself during those darkest periods when I was punishing myself in the evenings so I could "sleep better" at night, and I realize now that the dark circles, puffy face, and vacant eyes tell the whole story. Take a good book to bed, try some natural tea or herbal supplements (melatonin works for me), drink lots of water to get through those thirsty nights, and don't count the hours and minutes too closely. Sweet dreams, my friends.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Five days is great, you are almost past that one week mark. It does get easier, I am on day 56 (Toss, I think you are on 55) and it is nice to wake up with a clear head, and to be able to be 100% on my game at home and work (minus the days I had the flu).

The thought of wine is starting to pop into my head less, although I am still avoiding situations that put me in a bar or party atmosphere, just for a little longer.

Glad you are on SR!! This has been my greatest support, and I like hearing how all of my SR friends are doing each day.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The first few weeks are tough. Don't even worry about exercise, just stay sober. I found ice cream really helped me get through the cravings. It's not healthy but it's not alcohol either. It gets better, this site has been great at keeping me sober. Just use it every day. Stick to sobriety, make it your goal every day and trust me when sobriety gets easier you will have more time on your hands than you can ever imagine.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Recovered AA member

having trouble sleeping i would say is normal at 5 days. I don't know how much you drank but I would imagine your body is not used to being without alcohol. Unfortunately you will have to ride it out, but it will get better. As for the mood swings that too is normal. Working the steps has showed me that I am imperfect by design, and having emotions like anger, stress, sadness, loneliness, and irritability are too normal. But now I learn how to deal with them as opposed to stuffing them inside.