SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Im Back (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/276722-im-back.html)

melberholtz 12-06-2012 04:56 PM

Im Back

I did it. I set a goal in august. I made it. Now Im back. My goal was to run three marathons in Oct Nov and Dec. I did it. I didn't drink. I finished the last one sunday and within an hour I was drinking again. Today, I am out of town on business and drinking again. I need to get back on that road.

tomsteve 12-06-2012 05:01 PM

sorry to hear of the situation.
beings as the road you were on doesnt read like it took ya to a good place, ya may want to chose another road.

dragon12 12-06-2012 05:04 PM

Fantastic achievement melberholz. If you put your mind to not drinking before and achieved it then you can do it again. Just dust yourself off, pick yourself up and start all over again.

I am so impressed with the 3 marathons!!!

melberholtz 12-06-2012 05:15 PM

I know I can do it again. HAving a hard time being out of town with nothing to do. Just me and a bottle of Goose.

IWillWin 12-06-2012 05:16 PM

Welcome back and congrats on your achievements!

Now put down the booze and train to be sober like it's a marathon. Because it is, and it doesn't have a finish line (well, so to speak :)

melberholtz 12-06-2012 05:19 PM

i feel lile I've let everyone down

Thepatman 12-06-2012 05:19 PM

If weird how Alcohol is sometimes harder to give up then running 80 miles.
I admire your will power.

IWillWin 12-06-2012 05:20 PM

PS - I do the out of town thing too for work. It's hard. But not impossible. TV and snacks from the convenience store kept me from just sitting in the room and drinking. And boy, how I LOVED to drink alone in hotels! Go for a walk on the hotel grounds, order a ridiculously overpriced movie or room service meal, read...ugh, I so relate to your plight right now and just want to say YOU CAN DO IT. YOU ARE STRONG AND YOU DESERVE A SOBER HAPPY LIFE!!!!

My best wishes to you and I'm sending you strength and compassion ;)

Jitterbugg 12-06-2012 05:26 PM

It's odd how we drink when we are down on ourselves and when we do something positive and uplifting we drink to celebrate. Alcoholism has no logic...

melberholtz 12-06-2012 05:51 PM

more goose

Xune 12-06-2012 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by melberholtz (Post 3705936)
more goose

...or none.

Dee74 12-06-2012 06:45 PM

I think everyone has a choice - we can do what we've done before and drink...or we can try something different.

You can decide to do that anytime melberholz - even right now.

why not dump the booze?

D

Zebra1275 12-06-2012 07:50 PM

It sounds like you might be powerless over alcohol. If that's the case, you've found the right website.

Tomorrow why don't you go to an AA meeting. You are out of town, nobody will know you there, and you've got time on your hands. Tell them it's your first meeting (I assume it is). You might be amazed at how good the meeting makes you feel. There is a solution.

Delilah1 12-06-2012 08:00 PM

I am so impressed that you ran three marathons in three months, I have done several marathons in my past and I am training for a half in January.

I know it has been a lot easier to get up and run on the weekends, or after work without being hungover, or rushing home to drink.

Dump out the rest of that bottle and try to find some good trails to run while you are away.