Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I first knew Sobriety was making a REAL difference in my life, when : ____________.

Notices

I first knew Sobriety was making a REAL difference in my life, when : ____________.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile I first knew Sobriety was making a REAL difference in my life, when : ____________.

One way I first knew sobriety was making a REAL difference in my life, was when: ______.

One way I first knew sobriety was making a REAL difference in my life was after a few weeks sobriety, when I was able to fly on a plane to visit my Dad, and not drink on the plane and neither of us drank the whole 3 days. And we had fun and some important conversations which we were always way too defensive to have before.

WHAT ABOUT YOU?
Old 12-06-2012, 05:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i didnt kill myself and actually looked in the mirror at myself.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

I went to a parent teacher meeting and the teachers hugged me and told me I look great. I hadn't seen them since last school year.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
LDT

I read this in a book once and I think it perfectly applies in my case....
I knew sobriety was making a real difference in my life....when I realized it had ruined drinking for me.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I knew sobriety was making a REAL difference in my life because I stopped wishing I was dead everyday, and started looking forward to trying to live.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I knew sobriety was making a real difference in my life when my sister said that sobriety made me more emotionally available and that our relationship now reminded her of when we were young and close and in college.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

I knew Sobriety was making a difference in my life when random people started smiling at me again.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

When I started actually caring about other people's needs and actually wants to help.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stairs View Post
I knew Sobriety was making a difference in my life when random people started smiling at me again.
When i was 3 weeks sober, someone commented that i was smiling, and starting conversations.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I realized it was making a difference while I was at work. For those who don't know/remember I cook for a living. When it's busy it can be a pretty demanding job. But a couple weeks ago I was struck by just how easy work seemed to be despite being very busy with the holiday rush. I realized it was because I wasn't fighting a hangover the whole time!

Funny how being sober is like having an "Easy Button" for life!
Old 12-09-2012, 03:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I wake up smiling and ready to go!
Old 12-09-2012, 03:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm not sure it has made a difference, I just know that despite the urges I don't wanna drinkever again. That's all I got!
Old 12-09-2012, 03:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I stopped hating myself and wishing I were dead. Now I wake up raring to go and feeling pretty darn good.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I knew sobriety was making a real difference in my life, when:
I stopped crying two or three times a day about my Mom, and started moving through grief instead of being stuck in it.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It knew it when I could pass on to others, what I have learned about alcoholism. It's is too much for me to keep all to myself. I will share with anyone who needs my help or simply has questions.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

When I looked in the mirror and actually knew the person i was looking at. Also so when I realized that dad doesn't stand for drug addled dude and I could actually be one. Your pal in recovey... Wes...
Old 12-12-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

When I started feeling like life could be fun, enjoyable, and peaceful again WITHOUT DRINKING! It took a while after I quit for this feeling to come out of hiding.. It is showing itself more and more frequently though and that excites me.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I don't know- it just feels right and I feel like a more authentic person and I started and hope to continue to truly appreciate life and its joy rather than focusing on the negative and things out of my control. That however grim things seem to be, handing life is so much better with a clear head, body, and spirit.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sobriety was making a real difference in my life when I can actually make it day to day without any pain, sadness, suffering, and self pity. My head is now cleared, I'm relaxed, productive, I feel better about myself, and I'm happy.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Just NOW at ten months sober, I am noticing a big difference will be coming: because I am surrounded by my awareness of all the ways I am dissatisfied with where I am in life.

Since I've promised myself I won't drink, I know I will have to find it in me to change soon.

These will be changes that should've occurred twelve years ago when I chose alcohol over personal growth and over dealing with reality.

I am actually scared, overwhelmed, tearful, and bewildered as to how I will go forward.

But since I won't drink, I know I will go forward.

And that is how I know quitting alcohol will make a huge difference in my life, probably in ways that I can not yet imagine.

I have to deal with my resentments and my deep fears. But since I won't drink, I will.