Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I first knew Sobriety was making a REAL difference in my life, when : ____________.

Notices

I first knew Sobriety was making a REAL difference in my life, when : ____________.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

This reminds me of the 9th step promises in AA. I noticed a difference when I stopped having anxiety attacks several times a day. I was even able to drive two hours away to visit a friend last week.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I first new sobriety was making a real difference in my life...
when I felt, really felt, that I could completely change all aspects of my life if I wanted.

When I drank, I thought I was made for misery.....
and didn't deserve any happiness....
Old 05-10-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I first knew Sobriety was making a REAL difference in my life, when : I would drive home from work without ever realizing that I passed the liquor store.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:17 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I first knew Sobriety was making a REAL difference in my life, when : I could focus all of my attention of my family instead running downstairs after work to chug booze and be by myself.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

When the hard work and effort towards maintaining sobriety shows in its many forms. When I realize their is a higher happiness. Knowing good
Old 05-10-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I first knew Sobriety was making a REAL difference in my life, when : I didn't have to sneak into the garage and place all of the booze bottles in a bag and maneuver the trash bags so I could place it at the bottom of the trash bin.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:37 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I first new sobriety was making a REAL difference in my life when: I woke up and did not feel anxious or sad about the night before, I mailed my mothers Mother's Day card on time, it is not still seating on my desk, my life is being remembered!
CHEERS
Old 05-11-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Waking up and feeling like a normal person instead of a hungover sack.

It's been almost 1.5 years for me and I have so much more space in my head now that thoughts of drinking don't take up 99%
Old 05-11-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

The first time I had a good laugh, a belly laugh that was so healing and was from being naturally high. Now I have um alot.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

There've been several Eureka moments:

-- When my kidneys stopped hurting and I stopped getting swelling in my ankles and wrists at the end of the day.

-- When I started gettting really good quality sleep

-- When that empty, "clean" feeling from not being full of alcohol toxins was something I started to take for granted.

-- When my brain started to function better. Took weeks and weeks to notice this.

-- Most recently, when the physiological urge to drink finally STOPPED happening. THANK GOODNESS! It took almost 120 days to go away!
Old 06-08-2013, 09:31 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Miracle here people!!

Today when I put my house up for sale online .

16 months ago I was still drinking, my house was trashed, I hadn't filed taxes in two years, I hid in the house and panicked when I had to socialize, house was overun with mice inside, and raccoons and bamboo outside. The dog had peed in places inside and I didn't bother to clean it up. I had sixteen loads of dirty laundry. My stove didnt work, my electric was sparking, i had hoarded and one room was so filled with junk i could barely open the door only a few inches and could not walk in it!!

Never in my WILDEST dreams did I think 16 months of sobriety would allow me to change enough to face finances, neighbors, organize workmen, ask family for help, make a livable house to sell, face hoarding etc. And put my house on the market!!

People!!! This is a sobriety miracle!!!
Old 06-09-2013, 12:52 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I've only been sober for 3 days but I want to be able to answer this question in a week, a month and a year. This has all given me a lot to think about - glad I read your posts.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:24 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

One of the later ways I noticed sobriety was makng a real difference in my life,
was into my second year when my first inclination was not to deny or run from my problems
but to face them.
This was HUGE.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I knew sobriety was making a real difference in my life when I was able to let go of friends whose drinking was too toxic for me to be around (even though they never pressured me to drink)
while at the same time becoming more engaged with people who spent their time living life rather than drinking it away.

And all that happening naturally (not deliberately) over time, as I changed inside.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:09 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I noticed sobriety was making a real difference in my life when I started to realise I had a heightened sense of my surroundings and feelings - especially in the outdoors or in new environments.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:46 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I knew sobriety was making a real difference in my life when I realized I didn't need it for socializing anymore.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:58 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EternalQ View Post
Today when I put my house up for sale online .

16 months ago I was still drinking, my house was trashed, I hadn't filed taxes in two years, I hid in the house and panicked when I had to socialize, house was overun with mice inside, and raccoons and bamboo outside. The dog had peed in places inside and I didn't bother to clean it up. I had sixteen loads of dirty laundry. My stove didnt work, my electric was sparking, i had hoarded and one room was so filled with junk i could barely open the door only a few inches and could not walk in it!!

Never in my WILDEST dreams did I think 16 months of sobriety would allow me to change enough to face finances, neighbors, organize workmen, ask family for help, make a livable house to sell, face hoarding etc. And put my house on the market!!

People!!! This is a sobriety miracle!!!
Holy Moly That is Inspirational!!!
Old 09-15-2013, 05:40 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

When I pulled my head out of the bottle, I could actually see stuff and most of it was good. Lots of good experiences and people to appreciate.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:41 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Like your quote!
Old 10-09-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I knew it was making a big difference
when I stopped needing others to approve my choice to stay sober.