Notices

Hi everyone I'm a newbie

Old 12-06-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi everyone I'm a newbie

Hello to all,
My name is Marley.
I am an alcoholic, I have been drinking for the past 30 plus years, always went out to get drunk and have a good time, in the past 5 years this has got much worse, I was consuming 3 litres of red wine a night untill I clonked out, I never ever took a drink during the day, but the past two years have been a total nightmare, drinking all times of the day. I have some problems in my life apart from alcohol, and have now developed agoraphobia, getting help has been very difficult, I have tried several organisations, without luck, but I have now got some phone sessions with a councelor that deals with alcohol and helps with my other problems with CBT I had my first session on Tuesday, it was mainly a lot of questions so she could get a handle on 'me' I have some bumph coming in the post to help, I have read most of the big book but found some of it very hard reading, I am going to search for some other books to help, If anyone has any recommendations I would be very grateful. since around mid October, since I started to get some very sporadic help, I have now switched my drink to 5.3% cider and have managed to keep it to one 2 litre bottle, and sometimes a little less, I have also fallen off the one bottle wagon a few times and ended up drunk. I have decided to taper off, I hope it will work, I started yesterday with half a pint less, and tonight will be another half a pint less, and so on until I have weaned myself right off, I really have no idea how I will be but I really need to be determined with this, any help or advice would be warmly welcomed
Marley
Old 12-06-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Marley. Good luck to you, many people do try to wean themselves down, for some it works, for most it doesn't. Feel free to join us in the Class of December thread on this board, lots of support there.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi MarleyMac! Welcome to SR.

Many of us didn't have success with tapering off and found it was easier to mange to just quit all togheter the Alcohol.

Hope you succeed getting sober! Best wiches
Old 12-06-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A warm welcome to you marleymac Quitting is tough but possible and you will find lots of support here. Some people do an inpatient detox. I don't know if you have spoken to your dr but I think it's always a good idea. I am just under a month sober after relapsing. I go to AA and an outpatient relpase prevention program. I know I need to make recovery a HUGE part of my life right now. It's the only way I will succeed. Others will soon be along to welcome you and give advice. Stick around on these threads, there's lot of support!
Old 12-06-2012, 08:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AAudrey

Drink cranberry juice and keep chocolate handy
Old 12-06-2012, 08:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AAudrey

Originally Posted by gonzo4419 View Post
Welcome to SR Marley. Good luck to you, many people do try to wean themselves down, for some it works, for most it doesn't. Feel free to join us in the Class of December thread on this board, lots of support there.
It can be dangerous to just stop drinking altogether. Weaning down sounds like a good idea to me. Otherwise, you will need to go to a hospital. I stopped all at once and I was throwing up a lot. It depends on what and how much you drink, but it's a good idea to go to detox if you want to stop all at once.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gonzo4419 View Post
Hi Gonzo, Thanks for the welcome
I will pop over to the December thread and join there too.
Yes I've been reading around about tapering off, I'm hoping it will work, but if not I am going 'cold turkey' on the 12th December.
Marley
Old 12-06-2012, 08:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
Hi MarleyMac! Welcome to SR.

Many of us didn't have success with tapering off and found it was easier to mange to just quit all togheter the Alcohol.

Hope you succeed getting sober! Best wiches
Thanks patman, thanks also for the welcome too, I will see how it goes with my fingers firmly crossed, if not its just plain cold turkey for me.
Marley

will be back later just going to make something to eat
Old 12-06-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Marley Mac - you are not alone
Old 12-06-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome MM! Glad to have you aboard. Hang around there are a lot of miracles hanging around these boards.

Join the December thread!
Old 12-06-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!!
i hope your plan works out, if not I wouldnt waste too much time trying a different one .
Old 12-06-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your Welcome, wow so many responses so quickly!

Quitforme, yes I am looking forward to having the support and hopefully I can return that at some point. Here there is a 9 month waiting list for a hospital detox A month sober is brilliant, I hope i can say that one day!

I have banned myself for the last two days from drinking during the day until I've had my evening meal, have been struggling a bit today, but have stuck to it!

Spirit08, thanks for the advise, I have added cranberry juice to the shopping list and will get some in ready for next week when I finally quit. I have some chocolate in the fridge already, will remember to snack on it. Thanks

TTBABP Thank you for your reassurance, means a lot.

Irelander I do hope to find some miracles, I only found this site yesterday, I will be having a good read and rummage. Will definitely join the december thread Thanks.

windancer, Thanks, I'm not going to mess about with any other way, I'm really trying to be strong with the tapering off, and it will be cold turkey otherwise.

Marley

Last edited by MarleyMac; 12-06-2012 at 09:52 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-06-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

It can be dangerous to just stop drinking altogether. Weaning down sounds like a good idea to me. Otherwise, you will need to go to a hospital. I stopped all at once and I was throwing up a lot. It depends on what and how much you drink, but it's a good idea to go to detox if you want to stop all at once.
Tapering never worked for me. Ever.

MarleyMac if you're worried about withdrawals please see a Dr - it's the best and safest way to go

D
Old 12-06-2012, 03:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I agree, tapering didn't work for me and I tried many times. A Dr. could advise you how to safely become sober. Take good care of yourself.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Another vote for seeing a Doctor, alcohol withdrawal can be deadly.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family Marley. I drank around the same length of time as you. It was part of everything I did, always. After I joined SR I didn't feel all alone anymore, and found the strength and courage to let go of alcohol. I hope being here will help you through this exciting time of change in your life.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Tapering never worked for me. Ever.

MarleyMac if you're worried about withdrawals please see a Dr - it's the best and safest way to go

D
Thanks Dee! I have seen my doc, she gave me the contact number for the local drug and alcohol team, I called them and they were hostile, and judgemental, they did send me some literature through the post, but most of it was about the harmful effects of alcohol, which most people are aware of, I dont believe shock tactics work. because I have agoraphobia they wouldnt help me. I could not leave the house to attend an appointment.

I am struggling with tapering tonight, I am on my last 2" of drink left in my last allowed amount, and I already want another!

so many are saying tapering doesnt work for them, but if I dont have an opportunity to have a detox, also a hospital detox here has a 9 month waiting list, I know probably everyone is different, but I find the possible symptoms of withdrawal a bit scary, I have never done it since my drinking got very bad.

Thanks

Marley
Old 12-06-2012, 07:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Cutting down slowly but surely worked for me. It just takes a large amount of discipline and determination to not cheat yourself.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome Mac!

Tapering was never in my vocabulary and obviously never worked for me. If you can hold with the self-discipline, I wish you all the luck in the world.

Fresh fruit is also highly recommended. My 2nd day after going cold turkey I ate some fresh pineapple and it was an immediate adrenalin rush. (Probably because I couldn't eat the day before)

Regardless, you may need to seek medical assistance since detox can be deadly.

Good luck, hang in there and keep us posted!
Old 12-06-2012, 08:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bloss View Post
I agree, tapering didn't work for me and I tried many times. A Dr. could advise you how to safely become sober. Take good care of yourself.
Thanks Bloss, its awful that tapering off when it doesnt work takes so many times to become apparent that its no going to work before we realise that its futile! I am not having a good time at it tonight, and I admit that cold turkey may be the way to go for me, we shall see! doc doesnt seem to be in my capasity
ta
Marley