Notices

A week in the real world!

Old 12-06-2012, 04:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A week in the real world!

I'm coming up to a full week without alcohol despite having a very testing few days! My mum was investigated for cancer (all clear!) my boyfriend toyed with the idea of breaking up with me (decided to stick me out!) and I did a few gruelling night shifts in the hospital I work at.

The first couple (maybe 4?) days I felt as though I could take a drink from just about anyone, anywhere. However, on day 5, yesterday and today I have started to feel a beautiful sense of calm and self-control which continues to grow with each passing moment. The weekend is approaching and I am not concerned. I have about three assignments to do for University and I am strangely at ease about them (though I won't be unless I make a start!).

I've been reading other people's posts and not posting much myself. I suppose I joined this forum community through desperation, and didn't have any great expectations for it, but it really has been a great source of strength. The encouragement, positivity and experience radiating throughout the site has made my journey much easier.

I still have much to work on. Most of my friends are drinking buddies and I'm yet to see them. Lucky for me my best friend is pregnant, yesterday I helped her decorate her house for Christmas. It wasn't the wild kind of fun I'm accustomed to, but it was still a fun day - I left when I got bored, walked 40 minutes home and slept like a baby! I know triggers will appear and challenge my sobriety, but I'll just make very sure not to have that first drink.

I've tried to quit before and have felt a sense of deprivation. I don't feel like that at all this time. I don't feel left out of the social side of drinking, instead I feel involved with the everyday life that normal, non-alcoholic drinkers (or ex-alcoholic non-drinkers) experience. I don't have that feeling where I want to have a month or six months under my belt; I'm just enjoying each day at a time. Thanks so much for reading and for posting, I can't stress enough how much this site has helped me.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Ro, you made it a week and it's paying off! Keep doing what you're doing. Keep coming back here, it'll help keep you focused. Great job!

Daisy
Old 12-06-2012, 05:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post! I also am slowlly realizing I'm not missing out on drunk parties.

Sobriety is so much more appealing then previous times I quit.

Good for you keep up the great self improvements!
Old 12-06-2012, 05:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on your first week!

It sounds like everything is coming together for you. I'm so glad you found your way here and your life is getting a positive lift.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Give yourself a big pat on the back for doing so well. Keep at it and it will be your best Christmas ever. x
Old 12-06-2012, 02:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go on your first week ro

D
Old 12-06-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

It's so nice when the depression/anxiety start to life, isn't it? I found myself appreciating the little things around me so much more. Like you said, it's not all excitement and raucous laughter, just a good feeling of contentment.

Sounds like you're doing really, really well already - good job!!!
Old 12-06-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Awesome to hear Ro!