Notices

New

Old 11-28-2012, 06:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New

My name is Paul....

I AM AN ALCOHOLIC....

I dont know how to do this....I fail everyday....of course I want to stop but its just so hard....at my wits end....
Old 11-28-2012, 06:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome!

Why not just not drink for today? Don't focus on any other thing except for each moment that you are in. It is going to suck, but you can make it through the anxiety in small increments.

Do call a doctor if you have scary physical withdrawals though. Keep a watch on your heart rate.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome!
This place is great. You arent alone with these issues, that is for sure. Life doesnt have to be this way and you can overcome this...many have
Old 11-28-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Paul, I'm new too. You certainly are not alone with this feeling. If you take a look around these forums, you will see so many people who have managed to make it stop and who are shining beacons of hope. There is a way out.

I'm not sure if this would work for you, but during the days where I was truly dependent, exercise is the only thing that got me through (and ice cream). I would do the most intense cardio I could to get my mind off of it, and it really, really helped.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Paul, I'm new here too, i don't have any advice for you other than keep reading and posting, it's helping me no end.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Paul - it seems to me you have already taken the first step by admitting your a alcoholic - now its just curing yourself

take it one day at a time - im day 5 and first two days were very tough but it is getting better and waking up not hungover is like been born

Keep in there and keep on here - it works for me - even if im not posting im looking and learning all the time

keep on in there and ditch the booze!
Old 11-29-2012, 05:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good morning all....its now been roughly about 32 hours since I put down my last drink....I slept 13 hours last night....not all restful but was in bed for 13 hours....I didn't eat anything yesterday and since I threw up 3 times yesterday I had nothing in my stomach....needless to say I pigged out this morning here at work....the words of encouragement here have brought me to tears already this morning just seeing that there is hope and more than anything I want this for ME I know it sounds a bit selfish but I want that in the worst way....I want to be free from these chains of this disease more than anything at this point.....Thank you all for your kind words....
Old 11-29-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by SIPD View Post
... more than anything I want this for ME I know it sounds a bit selfish but I want that in the worst way.
Recovey has to be selfish to succeed. It is about you. It's your addiction, your fight to win. Your sobriety.

Selfish?

Darn right!
Old 11-29-2012, 10:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

((Paul)) Glad you climbed into the sober boat with us!
Old 11-29-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Paul

D
Old 11-29-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

There are mulitple paths to sobriety but all of them require hard work and most importantly that you commit in your very soul to not drink again. To honestly believe that alcohol and you need to end your relationship
Old 11-29-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

SIPD...welcome and congratulations on your second day!! I know where you are....like everyone here, I joined SR October 1st and was in tears myself. I am 60 days sober today and I never imagined I would be here. I used to dream of being one of the many on here that had that many days sober. I can tell you it is one day at a time and the days blend after the first few weeks and it does get easier. I am on here everyday reading and now feel like I am able to help some. Helping others like writing to you right now helps me stay sober. The chat room is a wonderfu place and I have many friends in there who keep me sane and laughing. Keep up the good work.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone....was a rough night last night, I may have had 2 hours sleep...tops...tossed and turned all night....could not shut off my head and could not drift off to sleep....I guess just withdrawals I'm not sure. All I do know is that I need to stay away from the things that make me want to go out drinking, it is just so hard to NOT have or be in those stressful situations....
Old 11-30-2012, 04:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

that's pretty common Paul - hopefully you'll fall back into a more normal sleeping pattern soon

D
Old 11-30-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I also need to add that being in customer service is NOT the best occupation for the alcoholic....
Old 11-30-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

Remember, each day you stay stopped is fabulous! The first 30 days are interesting, but YOU CAN DO THIS!
Old 11-30-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SIPD View Post
My name is Paul....

I AM AN ALCOHOLIC....

I dont know how to do this....I fail everyday....of course I want to stop but its just so hard....at my wits end....
Hello Paul:
I hope you have Googled and read AA's "The Doctors Opinion", "How It Works" and "The Promises of Alcoholics Anonymous".

Alcoholics Anonymous saved my life.
Some say they can quit drinking by will-power or other forms of self-help programs. I am an alcoholic as described in the AA texts and quitting drinking was just the beginning.... learning to live sober was the challenge.
The 12 Steps and regular meeting attendance has kept me sober, sane and increasingly serene since 1989.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 11-30-2012, 07:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome SIPD!
I have been where you are and I understand Hang in there, read here and glad to have you with us!
Old 11-30-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

First weekend of not drinking wish me luck folks, please send me your prayers and positive thoughts....I need it.....
Old 11-30-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome so SR!