Notices

Who are the bravest? The luckiest?

Old 12-05-2012, 09:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Who are the bravest? The luckiest?

I can't speak for others but, for me, the bravest, the luckiest of those who have managed to get into recovery are those who saw it coming in their early years and who had the courage, the strength of character to give it up. These are the ones I admire,the ones I truly envy. As for me, I went on year after year, forty years, believing that I could somehow do it alone (albeit with "counselors" from time to time). I didn't want to quit. Part of it was self indulgence, part a mistaken sense of how much "control" still remained to me. But all the time it grew from within, like some cancer, and I had little realization how strong it had become. It was only after I was about to topple over the cliff, perhaps a week or two from death, that I finally got the message.
I've been sober for 24 years since then but I can't say honestly that I'm proud of myself. I was not truly strong, truly brave. And there are those who are. Who are young and wiser than I. Who see what is coming and who have the strength, courage and guts to do something about it.
This may be my last thread. I have nothing left to say.

W.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope it's not your last thread W.

I feel we all have an unique perspective...no matter what path we may have taken, our stories and voices together make one heck of a treasury of experience and understanding

D
Old 12-05-2012, 11:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

W, I also hope this isn't your last thread or post. You have a lot to share and I've gained from reading your past contributions. For what it's worth, I thnk anyone who manages to seek and maintain sobriety is both brave and strong. And even more courageous when the journey can be shared, to guide others. To maybe be an example that sobriety can be attained.

so please, don't deprive us of the wisdom you've gained.

Love from Lenina
Old 12-06-2012, 12:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Anyone who can stay sober as long as you have is amazing. Don't discount that accomplishment!!! You have a lot to teach us. We need you around.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

w,,, hope you are ok??
think of al jolson,,,, stay here,, dont go hunny xx
lv cleo xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 12-06-2012, 02:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yesterday there was a post from a 16 year old. I'm sure words of wisdom coming from you have an influence on todays new generation. They are our future.

Keep teaching us
Old 12-06-2012, 02:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Looks like I didn't hit the submit button after previewing my post. Let's try that again.

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
I can't speak for others but, for me, the bravest, the luckiest of those who have managed to get into recovery are those who saw it coming in their early years and who had the courage, the strength of character to give it up. These are the ones I admire,the ones I truly envy. As for me, I went on year after year, forty years, believing that I could somehow do it alone (albeit with "counselors" from time to time). I didn't want to quit. Part of it was self indulgence, part a mistaken sense of how much "control" still remained to me. But all the time it grew from within, like some cancer, and I had little realization how strong it had become. It was only after I was about to topple over the cliff, perhaps a week or two from death, that I finally got the message.
I've been sober for 24 years since then but I can't say honestly that I'm proud of myself. I was not truly strong, truly brave. And there are those who are. Who are young and wiser than I. Who see what is coming and who have the strength, courage and guts to do something about it.
This may be my last thread. I have nothing left to say.

W.
I'm sorry to hear that you're not proud of yourself and that you have nothing left to say. Just by saying what you just did, you've helped others, so there's value in your story. Just think how many young'uns can benefit from hearing what it's like to continue chasing the dragon.

24 years is a mind numbing achievement. Since that's such a long time, I hope for you that you can turn the page and consider that you're a different person now. Whatever led you to death's doorstop is in the past, which you can't change.

As for young people quitting early on, they're just looking out for their own best interests. Some of us do a better job of that than others. There are tons of factors. You're being awfully hard on yourself saying that they're brave in comparison to you.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

W. - I guess I may be one of those quitting relatively early in my drinking career. But in no way does that make me stronger or braver. Personally, I have drawn strength, courage and hope from people like you (when honestly I don't think I had it on my own). I found it when I came to SR and started reading people's stories, learning lessons, taking advice, receiving encouragement, from people like you who have been brave enough to do the hard work, make it stick and then are courageous and kind enough to share that with the rest of us. Everyday there's someone new joining this place and they need to hear your stories - I know I have for the last 33 days.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Your ESH - Experiences, Strengths and
Hopes you share give many hope that if
you have stayed sober for a many one days
at a time with some sort of formulor to help
you, then they can too.

The newcomer wants to know how YOU stayed
sober. Something helped you along the way
giving you hope, strength courage to make
it as long as you have.

For me, 22yrs. sober to get me where I am
today was not made by waving a magic wand.
I didnt just wake up 22 yrs later and bazzinga
I happy, joyous and free. All my one days at
a time not drinking included, screaming, throwing
tantrums, tears, fears, procrastination, denial,
dishonesty and so on and on.

Each time I touch a hot burner and got burned,
thinking I had learned my lesson each of those
failed times, eventually one day down the road
finally getting "it", that hard lesson.

I couldnt grow and get where I am today if I
didnt stumble and fall a few many times or a
few positive steps farward and a few steps back.

Recovery is a journey in life learning lessons
that are hard but turn out to be rewarding down
the end. Today, I pass on those lessons I learned
from others before me to those struggling with
their addiction today.

No, im not a saint. No Im not perfect. I dont
wish to be placed upon a pedastol or to be bigger,
better than anyone else. Im just one piece of a
puzzle which makes up a beautiful picture.

Recovery is a gift to not be taken for granted
but to be treasured and to be grateful for. For
without it, I would surely be dead by now.

Passing it(knowledge of recovery) on makes
life worth living because it reminds me that
in order to remain sober and enjoy the rewards
in recovery granted to us, I have to give it away.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

(((William))) please don't leave . You stand out as one of the rocks here, and you helped me immeasurably, to understand some things about my A son, and the disease.
You are a true inspiration to me. Your writings beautiful and true, and it would be a great loss for SR, if you were to not post anymore.

you are special, William, and dear to us. I hope you continue to walk beside us on this path called life.

hugs
chicory
Old 12-06-2012, 06:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Painter, I can relate to the wasted life funk. I drank and drugged for 40 years and I only stopped because I was going to die. Guess what? I didn't, so if I am alive I better make use of the time I have left. I believe sobriety is a gift, a miracle, given to very few so I plan on thanking my higher power by being a better person and hopefully helping at least one other person.

I wish I had the wisdom that so many people younger than I have. That they are able to see drugs and alcohol are distroying their lives. I wish I had made other choices but I did not. I do have the choice of staying sober today and trying to act in accordance with God's plan and with some luck make this world a better place.

BTW 24 years is awesome and it did not happen by accident. People like you show me that it is possible. That long term sobriety is not just a fantasy but a reality.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I like your avatar of the dog with the ball. It's always helpful to have some companion who's go a lot on the ball....My dog is that way and he's also very skillful with paper.

W.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
I like your avatar of the dog with the ball. It's always helpful to have some companion who's go a lot on the ball....My dog is that way and he's also very skillful with paper.

W.
She passed a couple of years ago and she was my girl. It was my first test of loss in recovery. We called her the Devil Dog and she was but she was the coolest dog. When I found out she had about 6 months to live I called my sponsor freaking out.

He said, "Is she in pain?" and I said, "No."
Eating OK and I said, "Yes."
In any discompfort and I said, "No."

He said, "Well I guess you do not have a problem today do you." He was so right by living in the day I was able to enjoy the time we had together instead of being consumed with worry and sadness. Yes it was sad when she passed but unfortunately death is part of life and I stayed sober