Notices

Son coming out of rehab

Old 12-04-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Son coming out of rehab

I am new to all of this, hence am feeling very nervous about 'next steps.' My 20 year old son will be coming home from drug rehab on the 14th of Dec. Prior to that, my husband and I will be attending the family program at the rehab facility.
I realize I will probably get some answers during the time we spend there, but before that I would like to start on my own compiling information about how to set the most supportive (yet not enabling) boundaries for my son. Your positive support will be most helpful. Thank you in advance.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Why not scroll down to the Friends and Family forum?

Glad you found us!
Old 12-04-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
YEM
05/07/2011

I would honestly advise putting him in a recovery residence or "halfway house." They provide structure and focus a lot on recovery, will introduce him to various fellowships and normally require 90 meetings in 90 days which really helps meet other people in recovery and starts a solid foundation for a program of recovery. I would suggest he stays for 6 months. You go out and get a job and live a "normal" life in a RR, they just have some "rules" to follow and this way, you wont be the one having to enforce the rules.

They increase your chances of staying clean long term and my choice to stay in a RR was seriously one of the best decisions of my life.