Notices

Don't really know what to say... Alcohol.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Don't really know what to say... Alcohol.

Alcohol has become my friend on many boring evenings, as I type this I am sat here having just finished off my left overs from last nights 3ltr bottle of cider, and I am now on to my 12 case of Fosters.

I think the fact I am currently drinking alcohol, yet here on this site is a step in the right direction.

I'm 24, worried for my health and wanting to sort myself out. But I know i'd never attend AA or visit my GP out of pride.

I'm not a down and out, I have a good job, a nice home etc but for the last nearly 2 years i've drank alcohol nearly EVERY day.

Looking for some support? please?

I've done the whole waking up in the morning and pouring the alcohol down the sink, quitting halfway through an evening of drinking and chucking it all away. Only to find myself later walking to the shop at the end of my road for more.

It's got the point now that they usually get it for me on seeing me enter the shop, along with my usual 20 pack of cigarettes.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi welcome to SR! You can totally come here (even if you're still drinking) and we are here to help. It took me a few attempts to quit drinking. It was hard for me. I am an alcoholic and I had a hard time facing that fact in the beginning because I still had things, like you, and a job and all that... Eventually I kept drinking and lost all of that. Just my experience but I know I'm not the only one. Hopefully you can start moving in the right direction... There are many stories of recovery out there and many people didn't seem like alcoholics on the outside; it's what you feel on the inside that counts. Obviously you feel like alcohol is taking over and you're not in control. I had to face reality - for me there was no controlling my drinking. Had to quit. Now so truly glad I did.

Thanks for your post. Keep coming around.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keep trying and trying - get whatever support or help you need. I myself am trying just by coming on here because I do not want to go to meetings or tell my GP - but I am only 4 days in so who know what I will have to do.

Don't wait too long to commit to quit - you are young. I soooo wish I had quit many years ago.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BabyJane View Post
Hi welcome to SR! You can totally come here (even if you're still drinking) and we are here to help. It took me a few attempts to quit drinking. It was hard for me. I am an alcoholic and I had a hard time facing that fact in the beginning because I still had things, like you, and a job and all that... Eventually I kept drinking and lost all of that. Just my experience but I know I'm not the only one. Hopefully you can start moving in the right direction... There are many stories of recovery out there and many people didn't seem like alcoholics on the outside; it's what you feel on the inside that counts. Obviously you feel like alcohol is taking over and you're not in control. I had to face reality - for me there was no controlling my drinking. Had to quit. Now so truly glad I did.

Thanks for your post. Keep coming around.
Thank you for your reply BabyJane. What worries me is that my family are drinkers, not to the extremes that I am, but I fear that I can't quit alcohol 100% as i'll miss out when attending family parties etc. I wish that I could just not drink unless there was an occasion, but I can't see it happening right now.

How did you quit in the end?x
Old 12-04-2012, 12:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TTBABP View Post
Keep trying and trying - get whatever support or help you need. I myself am trying just by coming on here because I do not want to go to meetings or tell my GP - but I am only 4 days in so who know what I will have to do.

Don't wait too long to commit to quit - you are young. I soooo wish I had quit many years ago.
This is not the first time I have attempted to 'quit'. I lasted 3 weeks previously.

I don't want to 'quit' completely, I want to be able to enjoy a social drink with family and friends as they do, but I just can't see it right now.

4 days is great. well done! Keep it up! xx
Old 12-04-2012, 12:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ah, yea I hear you on the family thing. My family likes to party and I won't even lie to you, in the beginning it was a real challenge to be around them - especially my dad - we drank and even used drugs together many times. He was so bummed he thought he lost his partner in crime...

I had to go to meetings to learn to stay sober. That's just me. In the beginning I didn't want to be there either. I thought it was BS. I was 25 and I was still having fun *sometimes* so I rode that out until it got really ugly. Regret doing it that way because I ended up with A DUU, dropped out of college, lost all my friends, lost my self...

But I did finally quit and it was worth it. Not everyone will need to go to meetings. I know people who just quit and learned a new habit or new way of life. You can still be around drinkers too, just maybe not as much in the beginning. You'll see what I mean. Being sober when everyone else is tossed is pretty annoying. But I have such better people in my life now! REAL people! REAL friends.

Sometimes when I'm around my family I bring a sober friend for support. I also usually drive my own car there so I have a way to make a quick exit if needed. If you're uncomfortable talking about it say you're on medication and can't mix with alcohol. I always make a joke of it and tell people I'm "allergic to alcohol I break out in cuffs" haha. Pretty much true.

Anyway, my point is you might have to try lots of things until you figure out what works for you. But if you truly want to stop you will find a way to stop. I'm here to tell you in can be done AND you can still have fun and be happy! I am.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BabyJane View Post
Ah, yea I hear you on the family thing. My family likes to party and I won't even lie to you, in the beginning it was a real challenge to be around them - especially my dad - we drank and even used drugs together many times. He was so bummed he thought he lost his partner in crime...

I had to go to meetings to learn to stay sober. That's just me. In the beginning I didn't want to be there either. I thought it was BS. I was 25 and I was still having fun *sometimes* so I rode that out until it got really ugly. Regret doing it that way because I ended up with A DUU, dropped out of college, lost all my friends, lost my self...

But I did finally quit and it was worth it. Not everyone will need to go to meetings. I know people who just quit and learned a new habit or new way of life. You can still be around drinkers too, just maybe not as much in the beginning. You'll see what I mean. Being sober when everyone else is tossed is pretty annoying. But I have such better people in my life now! REAL people! REAL friends.

Sometimes when I'm around my family I bring a sober friend for support. I also usually drive my own car there so I have a way to make a quick exit if needed. If you're uncomfortable talking about it say you're on medication and can't mix with alcohol. I always make a joke of it and tell people I'm "allergic to alcohol I break out in cuffs" haha. Pretty much true.

Anyway, my point is you might have to try lots of things until you figure out what works for you. But if you truly want to stop you will find a way to stop. I'm here to tell you in can be done AND you can still have fun and be happy! I am.
I think i'm going to like you BabyJane ...

I have alcoholics in my family, aunts, cousins etc, none that I see nowadays, but I always use the excuse that it is my genetic makeup. Probably just an excuse!

My family do comment on my excessive alcohol intake, but none see it as it is, I don't think.

I feel i'm going on now, as mentioned in my first post, I am drinking tonight, so please excuse me.

Looking forward to chatting with you I think you'll be a great help. x
Old 12-04-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I also have this thing where i'll say 'One more night'. I'll drink major excessively, smoke excessively, with the intention of quitting, starting afresh tomorrow.

I'm always so DEAD SET on it.

The morning comes and I feel so upbeat and positive, its get to late afternoon and i'm caving in.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome MisterRoo88

You'll find a lot of support here.
Most of us are committed to quitting completely though.

I hear you on the not wanting to quit completely and being able to enjoy a glass or two...but for some of us that's just not possible.

I for one never drank that way - *ever*.

Don't spend 20 years on it trying like I did.

D
Old 12-04-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi and welcome MisterRoo88

You'll find a lot of support here.
Most of us are committed to quitting completely though.

I hear you on the not wanting to quit completely and being able to enjoy a glass or two...but for some of us that's just not possible.

I for one never drank that way - *ever*.

Don't spend 20 years on it trying like I did.

D
I don't think this is the forum for me.

I personally feel i'd have to disown my family in order to quit alcohol completely.

Best of luck to you all! x
Old 12-04-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We'll be here if you change your mind. I tried everything to be a social drinker, but it wasn't possible. Please be careful.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Autobrew Anon Member

please don't take dee's post too negatively...... i am sure it was meant in a supportive way. i agree with it. i wish i could drink here and there and be okay but so far in life that most of the time doesn't happen. right now i am abstaining completely cos it's what is working for me. i may not drink for next week or next year or the rest of my life --- seriously not worrying about all that right now. just doing what is best for myself now, which is not drinking at all.
im glad that babyjane said out loud that it was ok to come here even if you were still drinking.... i think this forum has a wealth of information for drinkers and nondrinkers alike. take whatever helps and let the rest go by. a lot of ppl here have literally been saved by AA, but that's not my bag so i let those posts just go by because they are not helpful to me. but i am glad that those posts are helpful to some ppl. i have a lot of respect for the "old-timers" who come here and continue to post what they've learned on their journey for the rest of us.

but anyway, just wanted to say

and

hope to see you posting again. i'm working my own program i have made from snatching ideas that work for me from some of the other programs and adding my own stuff in there too. i think that's where you are going with your journey - every person's is their own. also please drop by the gratitude threads. they are the two places i always post in - it's good to think about the positives i believe. (morning and bedtime gratitudes)

Old 12-04-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Hello Roo,

Welcome to SR. I went to NA to help me get clean and sober but there are loads of other recovery methods you will learn about on this forum. Oh and also I live down the road from you in Herne Bay. Small world.

Natom.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Your story really hits home to me because I'm in the same boat. I'm 22 and my family is worried about my drinking but to my friends I'm just a normal young adult. I have my first appointment with addiction services tomorrow yet right now I'm having myself some vodka. Feel free to PM if you wanna chat!
Old 12-04-2012, 07:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Roo, this IS the place for you. You won't be judged. Quitting is the answer for most. Be your own guide. Great support here.