SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   One Year Sober!! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/276422-one-year-sober.html)

Saliena 12-03-2012 11:58 PM

One Year Sober!!

Okay I wasn't going to post anything. But you know what itight encourage someone else and besides the face I am proud of myself and my HP!!

My sober birthday is Dec 3 2011 and I made it a while year without a drink!! For someone who has :

Had 3 DWIs
Almost lost her husband because she cheated in a blackout
Went to AA but didn't "get" it
Lost all faith that she could recover
Was drinking daily
Lost jobs because if drinking (good 6 figure paying jobs)
Almost lost her life because of a stupid sucuside attempt while blacked out
Hated myself and my emotions
Had to do DUI court for 48 weeks peeing in cups and attending classes atleast 3 times a week

So I decided this is a pretty big deal!!

Happy birthday to me!! Thank you SR and AA for believing in me when I didn't believe in myself!

Saliena

Lenina 12-04-2012 12:02 AM

Congrats! I think we to let the new comings know, it can be done!

Thanks for posting!

Love from Lenina

Dee74 12-04-2012 12:13 AM

I think it's a big deal too Saliena - congratulations! :)

D

Sazzle 12-04-2012 12:18 AM

Congratulations on your year birthday. You truly do deserve to be proud. This post will give a lot if hope to newcomers. I can't wait to see & feel the difference after 1 year sober.

Congrats again:scoregood

S x

Taking5 12-04-2012 12:21 AM

That is awesome. And these posts are very important for the newcomer, to show that sobriety is achievable.

So what did you do to finally make it?

rainyengland 12-04-2012 02:12 AM

brilliant - well done you!!! :c011:

im just starting my journey and you are a inspiration to us all!!

pipparina 12-04-2012 02:16 AM

Congratulations on your year. What a big difference in your life now!

Natom 12-04-2012 02:18 AM

Congratulations on your year Saliena :day1

neferkamichael 12-04-2012 02:42 AM

Saliena, 1 year sober. You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. :egypt:

least 12-04-2012 04:55 AM

Good job on reaching one year sober!! :scoregood

Sasha4 12-04-2012 05:06 AM

Oh my goodness - you were not going to post?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow massive congratulations from me.
I think your amazing. I think your brave and determined. I think your wonderful. What an achievement? One whole year without booze! Some people will never get to say that they own an achievement like that! You did flipping great!

Xx

BoozeFree 12-04-2012 05:19 AM

Congrats on the year!!!

nonblondechef 12-04-2012 05:28 AM

Love, love, love this wonderful news! Awesome - keep it going!!

Saliena 12-04-2012 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Taking5 (Post 3701413)
So what did you do to finally make it?

The way I finally made it was through a DUI court program. I was never going to be sober on my own without the ability to put some TRUE time between me and my last drank. I had tried AA several times and I loved the principles of the program... I just could never come out of the fog enough to grasp how they fit together in my life.

I finally did all of that and am done with the court program. I have a great base of friends that love and trust who I am. And, I have a husband that was willing to walk this walk with me. Even though I almost lost him in the end. Even if I would have I now see I have to put my soberity above everything in my life. Or I will lose everything else. :)

Saliena 12-04-2012 06:23 AM

Thanks everyone for your well wishes it truly means the world to me!!

MIRecovery 12-04-2012 06:28 AM

Congrats!!! If you can do it anyone can. Unfortunately it takes the gift of desperation for most of us to wake up. You are right. Put nothing and I mean nothing before your sobriety because without it we will lose everything else. There are other ways but AA worked for me when all else failed.

Saliena 12-04-2012 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by MIRecovery (Post 3701694)
Congrats!!! If you can do it anyone can. Unfortunately it takes the gift of desperation for most of us to wake up. You are right. Put nothing and I mean nothing before your sobriety because without it we will lose everything else. There are other ways but AA worked for me when all else failed.

MIR -- I don't care the way anyone gets sober. For some people being on SR and the support they get here is enough, for others the support of family/friends is enough, still for others RR or other programs work, for me AA was the only way I was going to clean out my closet enough to see who I was and how this whole thing fit together. I can see how spirituality fits into my life without religion... and how the goodness of other people is the light of my HP... I still struggle everyday... but, drinking isn't my first thought to "fix" things anymore. It is "what do I need to do"

Saliena

solstice3 12-04-2012 07:03 AM

Thanks Saliena. Congratulations. My re-start date is 12/3/12, had 22 days before that. Your post does help us! Way to go on the discovering whats in your 'closet'. When I 'open' mine so much stuff falls out I just cram it back in and shut the door as fast as I can. And I am not talking about the hall closet - LOL.

TTBABP 12-04-2012 07:08 AM

WOW - that is something Saliena. Thank you so much for posting. I am just starting out and it gives me an immense amount of hope and positivity to hear your story.

Sapling 12-04-2012 08:13 AM

Congrats on a year...That's wonderful.