Notices

Anyone else sober and without a license?

Old 12-03-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone else sober and without a license?

Also preferably unemployed? I would love to brain storm.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Scott!

As a matter of fact, I qualify for all of the above! Although not very proud on 2 accounts.

What's up?
Old 12-03-2012, 03:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Check, check and check!
Old 12-03-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am working a crappy part time job about ten hours a week if that counts.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

License, no vehicle

unemployed

hmmmm.....
Old 12-03-2012, 04:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Check
Check
Check
Old 12-03-2012, 05:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No license, No job, But sober since March 27 2010
Old 12-03-2012, 06:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes and was very well off this time last year
Old 12-03-2012, 06:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

- Sober, check
- Dui, no license, check
- Job, but way too few hours.. trying to find a better one
Old 12-03-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Damn I have one but it expired and I never thought about until now. I think my brain has been drained.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Well my last dui was on june 3rd of 2010.

And I still dont have a liscense. Have not drivin once since then.

I am sober and began that journey in June of 2011. Had two jobs in first year. Along with a couple slips which caused me to loose both those jobs..

Been sober for many months now, And started my own little business of making pierogi .. Started in with just neighboor's , friends, and people in AA. Growing a very little. But I love it..

I only have 2 thousand left to pay the state. And I can drive now. As my 2 years suspension is up...

Old 12-03-2012, 10:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks so much guys. Sometimes I guess it just helps give you a bit more perspective to know your not the only one in a lousy spot.. Indamiricale - good to hear about your business venture. I'm hoping to do something like that as well as a lot of potential employers don't seem to fond of situations like this.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was in both situations this time last year. Luckily I found a wonderful job that allows me to work from home sometimes. I was able to find rides to AA from dedicated people in the program that loved me. I also start to ride share through a clean air compaign run by my city.

I get my licensee back Dec 16 and life finally is returning to not so nor al state now that I have been sober of 12 months!! Also I had to complete DUI court which was a big life saver but pain in the bottom when I first started.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Originally Posted by Scott6433 View Post
Thanks so much guys. Sometimes I guess it just helps give you a bit more perspective to know your not the only one in a lousy spot.. Indamiricale - good to hear about your business venture. I'm hoping to do something like that as well as a lot of potential employers don't seem to fond of situations like this.
Thank you. It was natural for me to do this. I have been in the restaurant gig for over 20 years.

But what I can tell you. The more your sober and working at it. The more great things that happen. I cant tell you how many people I know now that have felonies and such , and have found really nice jobs . Ones that no felon's really would have. We get to truly have a second chance at life. And it can be better than you ever imagined..

And I cant wait to drive.. I can tell you I have walked EVERYWHERE for 2 1/2 years. And for 18 months I still have been able to make AA meetings almost every day.. That has really humbled me, but given a great apprechiation for what I do have. And all that is to come..

Good to have ya on board. Keep reading and posting.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've got 2 duis along with no job. I'm also working on long term sobritey. Seems like I can't get past an interview with my record but maybe I just need to keep at it. Oh well sometimes i gotta look at the glass half full as I do attend college full time with great grades, and I get my license back next month. It is good to know we're not the only ones going through this!
Old 12-04-2012, 06:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

I'm sober. I got my 2nd DUI in August 2010 so I'm without a license. I ended up getting my probation ended early (May of this year) and am eligible to get my license back but it costs literally thousands of dollars that I don't have. I just got a seasonal job I started last week. I won't lie - I've driven without my license. Sometimes I just have to. I know it's risky and I wouldn't suggest it by any means but I have to get places...
Old 12-04-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have been able to get my license since April of this year, but I totaled my car during my last DUI in December of 2010, so I need to buy a car and THEN get my breathalizer and THEN get my license.

I hope to do these things this month. Then I can find a better part time job hopefully and take some in person classes instead of all online.

Someone at AA said to me "Not being able to drive changes a person." I think it is so true! It teaches you a lot of patience and the fact that you have no control over where or when you go just plain SUCKS.

I just want to be able to drive to an AA meeting every day and go to work. That is it. And the grocery store for God's sake.