Notices

New guy in Alberta

Old 12-03-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New guy in Alberta

Hi I'm in western Canada and retired. I finally decided to kick my 42 year valium habit. I had a 4 year run without it once from 1974 -1978 and was a nervous wreck the whole time. Since then I learned to taper off with good results , but I keep going back . I just used it to take the edge off and not be "out of it" ,any way now I'm quitting for good ,I think it will be a help to have similar addicts to send and get the occational note to .
I like riding Harleys and have three, also mountain hiking ,river kayaking, sking , both cross country and downhill, camping in the mountains ( I live 35 miles away from them) ,and working on things out in my garage.
Neil
Old 12-03-2012, 02:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Neil. Stick around. There's a TON of support!
Old 12-03-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Neil
are you involving a Dr in this? 42 years is a long time...

good to have you join us

D
Old 12-03-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Best of luck from B.C
Old 12-03-2012, 07:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AAaaron View Post
Best of luck from B.C
Seconded, welcome Neil.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

((Neil)) - Welcome to SR! I also wonder if you are doing this under a doctor's care. Coming off benzos can be pretty dangerous, and it's better to be safe than sorry

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-03-2012, 09:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome .
I know all about convulsions, and the rest of the unpleasant stuff. The first time I kicked cold I was afraid to come out of my bedroom for three months , then It was a huge step to make it to the saftey of my garage, after a full year I realized I had no paranoid /anxiety , but it took the whole year. After that I knew to cut down gradually. The hyperventilation and brain racing still are here but I'm used to it.
I'm a loner and in my wildest imagination I didn't consider a Dr. or rehab. I'm also 65 years old. I first started taking valium because it got rid of acid ( LSD) flashbacks I was having , and still get the odd one, even though I havn't taken any since 1970.
Thank everybody..
Neil
Old 12-03-2012, 10:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have just completed my 7th day ,I feel good enough to function as usual, but my mind won't concentrate on anything. I had been feeling depressed and a feeling of hopelessnes for the last couple of years and finally thought it may be the valium . I already am thinking of working on a half built harley thats been sitting in my man cave for three years un finished . I retired in 2000 and got so bored I got a job as heavy equipment operator, but quit 2 years ago. I sold my business and several houses I had when I retired in 2000 and am not having to worry about money. I had been thinking of getting a job so I could have someting to do ,but I couldnt even find the anbition to do that. I used to really like working on bikes and making things out of wood or welding stuff , but now I just lay here .

I thought I was getting a twinge of ambition last night ,but ignored it ,lol. Now I'm noticing this same feeling and it is a little stronger ,at least I recognize the felling . It even makes me feel better now that I'm typing it . I have so many cool ( I think ) projects half started ,shed built out of logs, ( needs a sod roof) ,1978 Eldorado needs remote mirror and power antenae fixed, 1959 Harley needs to be finished .1978 BMW needs to be brought back to running condition ,I parked it in 1990 . I think I'll go and put the thermo coupler in my garage furnace so I can work on the Eldo.
I can't believe I'm actually going to do this. I'll report back when the furnace is on. This is great!!
Old 12-03-2012, 10:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well that was great, I love the feeling to be fixing something , the only thing is the part that goes into the gas valve is wrong, so tomorrow I'll get another one ,and get the furnace working .. darn near froze lol.
Years ago I read when going through withdraw its good to have a hobby to keep yourself busy.. I agree.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, fellow Calgarian! Glad to see you here - lots of support and friendship to be found. All the best!