SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   drunk dreams (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/276369-drunk-dreams.html)

isinganyway 12-03-2012 10:08 AM

drunk dreams

I keep having them and they scare me. They feel so real and I wake up feeling guilty and weak. What do they mean? :c020:

AAaaron 12-03-2012 10:15 AM

I have had lots of drunk dreams in the past and I know they can be really scarry.
I dont think it means you are weak at all.
I cant control what I dream about.

bbthumper 12-03-2012 10:19 AM

I get them too sometimes. While I am drinking in the dream I feel like crap. Guilt, shame, remorse etc. I take it as a good sign that even in my subconcious mind I know that drinking is no good.

bryangt 12-03-2012 10:29 AM

when I wake up from one, I am immediately grateful to be sober. Someone once told me a drunk dream is a freebie...you imagined you drank but didn't. With time they come less & less in my experience. Best of luck!

Thepatman 12-03-2012 10:42 AM

What Bryangt said makes total sense to me.

Plus no hangover with dreams ;-)

eumenides 12-03-2012 10:48 AM

I think drunk dreams are a sign you are on the right path. They give your subconscious an outlet for the drinking urge and help you wrestle with the part of you still wanting to drink. Soon, you might have drinking dreams where you don't drink and are conscious of having quit. Those can be interesting.

flutter 12-03-2012 11:02 AM

My counselor said the same thing that bryangt mentioned. When I told him I kept having dreams about returning to drinking, he said "consider it a freebie.. you go out, experience the drunk, the shame, remorse etc, without actually having to, if anything it only solidifies your recovery". I still have them, 4 years in..

Bruno1979 12-03-2012 11:07 AM

I love them,

The relief when you wake up is immense.

Bruno.

cat1961 12-03-2012 11:38 AM

Funny this topic came up today. I had a drunk (or was it sober) dream last night? I'm a little sketchy on the details but only remember people drinking around me and I wasn't. Needless to say, I woke up pretty relieved.

jobei 12-03-2012 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by bryangt (Post 3700310)
when I wake up from one, I am immediately grateful to be sober. Someone once told me a drunk dream is a freebie...you imagined you drank but didn't. With time they come less & less in my experience. Best of luck!

This is true to my experience! I still get them from time to time and am grateful to wake up safe and sound, even if it is a little scary! I think that it is very common.

Applecrumble 12-03-2012 12:24 PM

Yes indeed, I feel they are a freebie too - I don't have to trash my sobriety to be reminded of the guilt, the mess, and then briefly the hangover horror upon waking :) our brains are reassessing their focus. That's great I reckon.

MrsKing 12-03-2012 01:02 PM

I get them in waves. I'll go months without them then have one every night for a week. I'm not sure they coincide with anything in particular, but I don't particularly like them. I am glad I have them - the shame/remorse/guilt/hatred for myself I feel in the dream is so real, and I still feel it when I wake up - it reminds me why I quit and how I felt when I did.

Xune 12-03-2012 01:06 PM

Dreams are out of your control and mean nothing.

Be thankful they're just dreams.

isinganyway 12-03-2012 05:33 PM

Thank you everyone! I had one last night and woke up with so much guilt until I realized it wasn't real.

Thepatman 12-03-2012 05:46 PM

I prefer dry dreams then the Alcohol wet ones. LOL! Feeling goofy.

debsam 12-03-2012 06:38 PM

20 months sober and I still get them every so often.

"Pillow slips" :)

And yes, a great feeling when you wake and realize it's just a dream.

Fernaceman 12-03-2012 07:36 PM

Dreams are just dreams. Don't try to analyze them too much. Be happy you are remembering some of them now!

Quinne 12-03-2012 07:51 PM

I've noticed a pattern, I seem to get them when I'm not travelling too well, overtired and such. They unsettle me a lot upon awakening, but what's been said about having a "freebie" is dead-on!

CuteNGayYay 12-03-2012 07:53 PM

if ur sober when u have em...take it as a victory

JungleGirl 12-03-2012 09:30 PM

I have only had 1 so far, the relief when I woke up was immense and reminded me how much I don't want to get drunk!

It's most certainly not weak, I just put it down to the fact that I put a lot of thought and effort into not drinking, of course I'm going to dream about it occasionally :)