Notices

what else can i do?

Old 12-03-2012, 09:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what else can i do?

bored out of my mind, meeting and gym is the only thing that gets me out of my parents basement

dont have any money at the moment so I cant really indulge in any hobbies

all I have is sobriety and lifting til the end of the month when I start up school

should I just put all my energy into becoming a sick ***t in the gym or what?

I feel good, look good, much more content mentally, can look myself in the mirror etc... i'm just bloody bored as hell
Old 12-03-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Volunteer.

Get out into your community and give back. It's free.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
YEM
05/07/2011

Service work or at least get outside and do something each day. Jog or walk, go read in a park, etc, etc.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Do you have a library card? If so, boredom solved.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Every place has free events. Do some research!

Grab someone from a meeting and get out and live life!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great advice from everyone. You could fill up hours just researching how to keepo busy!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

lol all pretty unrealistic

i feel way out of place at these meetings too
awkward as hell
i only have two months of sobriety too so I feel like that doesnt mean anything and I have zero worth and credibility

you hear guys left and right talking about how they had 15+years of good sobriety and went back out, hearing stuff likes that makes me believe that being sober today is better than not for me but the longterm outlook is grim
Old 12-03-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

There are a million unproductive things...but what about more meetigs and step work?? That would solve some boredom. Also the library idea sounds fantastic. I think I will do that one as well.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It`s up to you whether you will experience the world outside of your home or stay inside complaining about how bored you are.

Your long term outlook regarding addiction, whether positive or negative, is all dependent on the choices you make today and the days to come.

Your life is what you make of it.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
YEM
05/07/2011

Originally Posted by soberbrah View Post

awkward as hell
i only have two months of sobriety too so I feel like that doesnt mean anything and I have zero worth and credibility

you hear guys left and right talking about how they had 15+years of good sobriety and went back out, hearing stuff likes that makes me believe that being sober today is better than not for me but the longterm outlook is grim
Not unrealistic at all. Sounds like you arent being very open minded. If you focus on similarities you have with other members, you may find you arent out of place.

How much time you have doesnt matter that much since all we truly have is today. You have plenty of worth and have earned your seat in any meeting you go to.

The long term outlook on ANYONE with alcoholism or addiction is bleak. That doesnt mean there isnt hope. I know many folks around here that have over 20 years. The one thing they share in common is that they regularly go to meetings, are of service and work steps. It may just be 1 meeting a week or once every 2 weeks but they always go.

Don't let your mind talk you out of recovery. It is an amazing gift that few get, it just takes some work.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Originally Posted by Xune View Post
It`s up to you whether you will experience the world outside of your home or stay inside complaining about how bored you are.

Your long term outlook regarding addiction, whether positive or negative, is all dependent on the choices you make today and the days to come.

Your life is what you make of it.
I agree with this very assertive statement.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberbrah View Post

awkward as hell

Nonsnense. There are folks with a few hours of sobriety who would love to hear how you have two months. Start welcoming new guys. Step out of your comfort zone. You dont have to be years sober to work with others.

Practical experience shows that nothing will so much insure immunity from drinking as intensive work with other alcoholics. It works when other activities fail. This is our twelfth suggestion: Carry this message to other alcoholics! You can help when no one else can. You can secure their confidence when others fail. Remember they are very ill.

Life will take on new meaning. To watch people recover, to see them help others, to watch loneliness vanish, to see a fellowship grow up about you, to have a host of friends - this is an experience you must not miss. We know you will not want to miss it. Frequent contact with newcomers and with each other is the bright spot of our lives.
-A.A. Big Book p.89
Old 12-03-2012, 10:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

you were talking about school. Maybe try learning a new language or something. You can get great free classes via itunes iUniversity (or whatever it is called). I learned a lot about physics from the MIT professors on there.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I second the volunteering. You need to get out of your own head and do someone a good turn. It's the best gift your can get: Giving of yourself.

Go to an animal shelter and do something for them. You have a lot in common...they are caged, you're are caged by you mindset and lack of motivation.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Maybe find a part time job? It's not glorious, but fast food eateries are always hiring people who will show up for work.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Go volunteer at a children's hospital. It is quite realistic and will help others and yourself!