SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   first day down :) 2nd day starts (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/276335-first-day-down-2nd-day-starts.html)

elite2010 12-03-2012 03:58 AM

first day down :) 2nd day starts

yesterday was day one and although it was hell i didnt drink at all :)
last night sucked just seemed to toss and turn the whole night away
ended up opening the window to let the cold air in
6:51am and still no alcohol yet my doctors is at 4:00pm i am thinking work is going to be good today because i am going to use it to keep my mind active

not sure if i am ment to be feeling this way tho ?
still have the headache & now shakes & a strange tingle feelings in my chest they started around 4am ... i am going to keep positive tho and push through it ... holding hope the doctor gives me something to help with the shakes and tingle feelings < dont like them .... had a coffee this morning and had a hard time trying to hold on to the cup with out causing a spill

i will update when i get home tonight
also got a plan to drive the long way in to town to by pass all the usual bars :)

MrsKing 12-03-2012 04:12 AM

Good for you :)

It will get easier. Stick with it - you will be feeling all the benefits of sobriety very soon :)

Fandy 12-03-2012 04:13 AM

I would avoid the coffee if you feel shakey. The caffeine might not be helpful right now. I think i drank tea the first few days, and i'm a big coffee drinker.
Maybe the tingling is actually palpitations?the doc will know. Hopefully you will sleep better tonight and have less mental anguish after you discuss with doctor.
But congrats on getting through yesterday and getting up for work! Good thoughts on changing the drive route too! Think of all the things you can now do that you are not chained to a bottle.

BruceJ 12-03-2012 04:21 AM

Yep.
Day one can really suck. The upside is that day two is usually a bit better.
You will find, as time goes by, that it gets better and better....rather quickly after the first few days. (of course never as quickly as we would like :) )

Just concentrate on going from now until bedtime without drinking. You're doing great.

See a doctor if the chest thing feels like anything more than anxiety. Lack of sleep the first few days is very normal.....it takes a little while for our brains to figure out that they need to go into sleep mode without getting forced into it.

All the best. Hang in there and don't try to do it all alone. There is a world of help available for the asking. Believe it or not, you'll soon be able to look back on this and smile.

cat1961 12-03-2012 05:20 AM

Hey Elite!

Congrats on surviving Day 1. Your symptoms are common in the detox scheme of things but am sure the doc will pull for you. Yea, the sleeping will improve over time.

Can't wait to hear the report from tonight.

Good luck my friend!

TTBABP 12-03-2012 09:05 AM

Hey Elite - I shall think of you often today as you get through Day 2.

gonzo4419 12-03-2012 09:43 AM

Awesome news elite, as much as I don't want to go in when going through my withdrawls, I've actually found it is better in many ways. Keep my head down and focused on work to keep the mind off the potential to drink tonight, and getting some things accomplished at work helps me mentally (few less things to think about to trigger the panic attacks at night that I'm so far behind because I've been calling in 'sick' again).

rainyengland 12-03-2012 11:12 AM

Hey - good going!!

I had exactly the same - day 2 was by far the worst day

Hang in there and push through - it gets easier as will your resolve :-)

Good luck !!!

Hevyn 12-03-2012 11:28 AM

Nice going, elite. We know it's hard, but you're doing this thing. You'll feel less anxious and restless as you go along.

Delilah1 12-03-2012 01:07 PM

Looking forward to hearing how things went!

GypsyHeart 12-03-2012 01:33 PM

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/ye...y-emoticon.gif

way to go!! and keep on going elite!!

Fandy 12-03-2012 04:52 PM

bump...hope all went well at the doctor appointment today and you feel OK.

neway55 12-03-2012 06:37 PM

Everyone, no matter how many days they have been sober, started with a first day.
It may not seem like it right now, but it will get better.
You have made a decision that will change things for the better.
Congratulations.

Auvers 12-03-2012 06:51 PM

Hope you are doing okay, got help from doc.

cat1961 12-03-2012 08:05 PM

:wave: elite - where are you?

We need :feedback:

I hope you're doing ok

Fandy 12-04-2012 02:42 AM

Bump, maybe doc.admitted him for safety detox?
Elite, hope all is well.

elite2010 12-04-2012 03:46 AM

im all good and sorry about the late update
yesterday was hard in work because my boss said i wasn't acting right and i didn't seem my self he also seen i had the shakes and wanted to send me home
after a 20 min talk trying to explain as much as i can he said i was doing a good thing and if i think it would help then i can stick it out for the rest of the day

after work i went to the doctors and told him everything inc the little things
like the little travel bottles i use to keep in my car / beer i use to take to work ect ect
we had a talk about what i want to happen and i told him my goal is to change everything i don't want to be a drunk and i don't want to drink any more
he asked me how i was feeling and i told him about the head ache ( still have but not as bad )
the shakes and the tingle in my chest ... he said its all normal and it will fade with time
he also said that i can use over the counter sleep aids to help me through the night
and that he didn't feel like he wanted to give me any meds because he doesn't believe in just handing them out
so i am to stick it out until next monday and if i still feel like crap then i can go back and he will give me something

i set up an appointment with an alcohol help group here in town and i go there on thursday

so this would be day 3 with no alcohol in my system

still have shakes ( but i dont have them all the time they seem to come and go )
headache seems to not be as bad
tingle feeling still there
and i am starting to feel like i want to eat .. but when i make something i no longer want it ?? .... but i did get some toast in me yesterday

this is day 3 :)

Fandy 12-04-2012 03:56 AM

Congrats on day #3! Elite, we have all been there. Toast is good, and try some sugar or fruit.
Booze has lots of empty sugar calories, you've suddenly stopped ingesting. Maybe a few hershey kisses will help the shakey feeling. Or a banana.
Took a lot of courage to speak up at work. Good plan with counseling. I think you are doing a great job in approaching the change you want, and life you absolutely deserve.
When i quit the first time, i got the best compliment, 3 weeks sober, someone told me that i smiled more, wasnt such a grump.
If you want to see a real difference, take a pic of yourself today, and in a couple of weeks.

elite2010 12-04-2012 04:11 AM

yeah i am going to grab fruit today after work
when my boss wanted to send me home the first thing i could think of was just to be honest about why i might seem different and have the shakes
he didn't seem to happy about it at first but after i told him everything he didn't seem to p!ssed at all but he did take me off the machine i work on and get me to sweep up all day ... and i didn't mind that because i can see from his side
the machine i work on is a metal punch & the other one is a break press

once again thank you to everyone :)

CopDoc 12-04-2012 04:57 AM

Congrats Elite!

Congrats on the progress! You've taken the first steps, are getting over the worst part and should be really proud. I am starting my day 4 and find that waking up and hearing stories of others, like yourself, keeps me strong throughout the day and motivates me not to drink. We are new at this, and there will be some tough times ahead of us, but we can do this. Thanks for sharing and good luck to you!