Notices

I want to stop drinking

Old 12-03-2012, 03:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want to stop drinking

HI, I have been drinking since I was 21 and use it as a crutch to blot out things. I suffer from stress and I know that this time of the year doesn't help as I get depressed. I was sober all weekend until last night and I opened a bottle of wine and then another.
I really want to stop. I am going out the end of this week with some friends and I know once I have one I will not want to stop. However sometimes I do not want to drink at all but when I do I binge.
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2012, 03:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome

I find this time of year difficult also, Joanlong. The cold and the lack of sunshine brings me down. Have you considered seeing a Dr about your depression?

With regards to your drinking, if you already suffer with depression and stress then alcohol will only be making it worse. I used alcohol as a crutch for many years and it was only when I took it out of the equation that I realised it only made things so much worse for me mentally. My depression lifted almost immediately after I quit and although I did still feel anxious now from time to time, I've found that being sober has really helped my anxiety, too.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Hello Joan,

Welcome to the forums. Like MrsKing has said mixing alcohol with depression is not a very good mix. Alcohol helps our minds haze over everything and promotes selective thinking. We tend not to remember any of the bad consequences when we have been drinking. Stopping drinking and using doesn't 'cure' us immediately. It does however give us the ability to take more positive choices and allow us to seek help to sort out problems with depression and anxiety.

Natom.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel for you Joan. It is not going to be easy esp this time of year. You may need to avoid some tough situations like the weekend one for awhile if you want to commit to sobriety. Good luck.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome. Nice to have you here.

Originally Posted by Joanlong View Post
I really want to stop. I am going out the end of this week with some friends and I know once I have one I will not want to stop.
If you are serious about quitting, consider cancelling your night out with your friends.

No one wants to give up their social life for sobriety, but in the beginning, especially the first couple of weeks, don't put yourself into situations that create temptations to drink.

It's all part of the changes you have to make in your life if you want your recovery to succeed.

Good luck.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great advice here Joan

I resisted changing my life for years - but if you want change, you need to make change.

You'll find help and support here
Good to have you join us

D