Notices

Moderation is non-existent for me

Old 12-02-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I do the same thing. I stop for a few days. Then I buy a couple of beers. Then it gets back to my previous level of only drinking beer and not eating on non-work days. And the scary thing is that it feels normal. I don't get into any trouble, except when I have to go without drinking. The medical consequences are not to be ignored.

I feel normal when I drink, and abnormal when I don't... to the point of being unsteady on my feet and wishing I could just go lie in bed, even though I have no hope of getting to sleep.

The beer helps me get to sleep after I've stayed awake longer than I should have, but then in 4 hours it wears off and I can't get back to sleep.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:53 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hey Cat - in just two days you have helped me so much with your quick, kind and encouraging words. Cannot say enough how glad I am you are here on this journey with me. You sound like a smart and sassy person who should allow people to enjoy you without the fog of alcohol.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Renaldo - you're my twin now!

Nonetheless, my normalcy will be the abstention from alcohol so I can actually feel like a "normal" person.

I'm on a great start so far!
Old 12-02-2012, 06:05 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TTBABP View Post
Hey Cat - in just two days you have helped me so much with your quick, kind and encouraging words. Cannot say enough how glad I am you are here on this journey with me. You sound like a smart and sassy person who should allow people to enjoy you without the fog of alcohol.
Awww... glad we're traveling this journey on the same time line TT!
Old 12-02-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Hey cat! Just a little note of encouragement for you! Keep up the positive attitude!
Old 12-02-2012, 06:12 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Keep up the good work Cat! I have been reading a lot of your posts and you seem awesome. I just got back from Florida from a holiday on Saturday
Old 12-02-2012, 06:26 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hell I never saw the point of moderation
Old 12-02-2012, 06:33 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Cat, it sounds like you are committed to staying sober and recovering. Good for you!

You said, "Finally, I need to be in control of any stressful situations in the future and not let those cause me to fall week to alcohol." This is my experience - trying to control situations that are not under my control was a constant trigger to drink. I had to learn that the only thing I could control was my reaction to what was happening in my life. So, I don't believe you can control all the stressful situations in your life, but you can choose to not let them drag you back into alcoholism
Indeed. If you try to make your sobriety conditional on hot having stress in your life you have a long row to hoe. Personally I've found a defense against the first drink that works on good, bad, and in-between days.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:55 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

It's never worked for me either. I'm two weeks in & spending lots of time these past few days trying to convince myself otherwise. Thanks for the thread, it has once again reminded me that I cannot go down that road again. If I could be a "normal" drinker I would have done it long ago & avoided all of the lying, hiding, & time spent planning my life around my next drinking session.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:04 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Welcome Back to SR Cat. I have thought about you and wondered how you were doing. I am glad to see you back here and posting.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lyddie View Post
Welcome Back to SR Cat. I have thought about you and wondered how you were doing. I am glad to see you back here and posting.
Hi lyddie! I remember you from way back when. Was on a good sober streak for a while, relapsed, sober again, drunk again now I'm back here for extra support!
Old 12-03-2012, 08:41 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I have to admit it's been a great 3 days going through detox. Wha wha what?! Who ever says that? I've focused my time on being here reading and posting encouraging words as well as sharing some of my previous horror stories.

It all really comes to light as a reminder that alcohol is so destructive in our lives and we must abolish it all together for a safe, healthy lifestyle.

Peace out and stay sober!!
Old 12-03-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cat1961 View Post
I have to admit it's been a great 3 days going through detox. Wha wha what?! Who ever says that? I've focused my time on being here reading and posting encouraging words as well as sharing some of my previous horror stories.

It all really comes to light as a reminder that alcohol is so destructive in our lives and we must abolish it all together for a safe, healthy lifestyle.

Peace out and stay sober!!
You too, Cat - stay sober and stay strong!