Notices

7 pints a day bad?

Old 12-01-2012, 09:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

7 pints a day bad?

Dont know if this is for me or not... but thought id ask opinions? im 24 and have suffered
with anxiety all my life and alcohol is a great help for me
but its a viscous circle i drink about 7 pints a day on average
and wake up feeling rele ropey and anxious so start drinking normally
about 2 in the afternoon i have a young son whi was born in august
and i also drank through my pregnancy :-( not half as much bt still bad
I can have weeks off at a time but really struggle to say no i live in a small town
Full of pubs gaah. just like to hear what u gave to say?
Old 12-01-2012, 09:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Verve, You have landed at the most appropriate place for all the people like us. All the members at SR ( This forum ) have gone through same situation like yours. You will get lots of support here. Any amount of alcohol is bad , if it is causing any sort of problem. But, 7 pints a day, is definitely too much for anyone . Keep reading the posts on this forum. You will get new perspective and learn from other member's experience. Welcome to SR.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Verve!

Any amount of alcohol is bad no matter what day of the week it is for people who question if they have a problem with drinking.

You really need to put the pints down and focus your attention to your baby. There will be so many moments with this precious baby you will want to remember and that can not be done drinking.

I hope you stick around here and make the choice to quit drinking.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank u :-) already your 2 replys have got me thinking!!
Old 12-01-2012, 09:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Verve - welcome

I won't use terms like 'bad', but it's definitely way above recommended safe recommended levels.

7 pints would also have to have an impact on your capacity to be responsible too and I'm not sure that's really good for your young baby either.

have you tried to quit before? used any support?

D
Old 12-01-2012, 09:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No i havent tried really i havent wanted to i thought drinking like i was was fine before i didnt care if i ruined my life but.now i have something to live for and hes the only reason im here i want to make hishis life so special and while drinking im not going to do that. hes the best thing thats ever happened to me seven pints dont even make me drunk just feel good.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

7 pints a day bad?

For me it would be deadly.

Zube
Old 12-01-2012, 10:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Verve, you are already on the right track. You have identified that your baby is really precious to you and you want to make his life special..He is the best thing ever happened to you.. So , he will bring many more best moments of your life. This is , one of the very few best motivation, one can have.

I was in the same stage . Half a bottle of whiskey or 1.5 bottles of wine, just made me feel good.. But it did not stay that way for long. I started wanting more and more ,as my tolerance kept on increasing.. This is the irony of alcoholism. It is always downward sprial..

Once again, welcome and keep reading at SR..
Old 12-01-2012, 10:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

By talk of pints I'm assuming you're from the UK.

I'm not from the UK myself but here are some UK links & numbers that may be useful:

The National Alcohol Helpline-UK - Tel: 0800 917 8282
Offers help to callers worried about their own drinking; support to the family and friends of people who are drinking; advice to callers on where to go for help.

UK National AA Helpline
08457 697 555

SMART Recovery - SMART Recovery UK

Alcoholics Anonymous (A.A.) Great Britain

Addaction | Drugs & Alcohol Addiction and Recovery: Support - Help - Advice - Treatment

Alcohol services | Alcohol Concern

and some NHS links
Find more health services - Alcohol addiction support - NHS Choices

D
Old 12-01-2012, 10:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank u. yes i am from the uk and my normal pint is 5 percent or 5.5av

yes my son is hopefully going to be my life saver here.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Verve

I think it'd be a good idea to talk to your doctor. If you are drinking to feel normal because of anxiety then that is something they can really help you with. If you just carry on drinking for it, it can only get worse. There are much better treatments for anxiety.

There's lots of help available on the NHS too to help you stop drinking but in my own experience I found AA was much more useful. It really helps to have support. You could also check out things like SMART recovery and Rational Recovery (AVRT).

Glad you're here x
Old 12-02-2012, 04:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Nov.23, 2012

You mention anxiety...I too had a lot of anxiety, stress and depression...I think the drinking was actually making it worse although the poison would mask it. It is day 10 for me, still lots of ups and downs but already notice the anxiety is not as bad. Daily exercise can also help a lot. I too have young kids and this is all about being a role model for them. I grew up with an alcoholic father and I do not want my kids to grow up and look back when they are older and realize I was an alcoholic. Welcome to the site, it will really help, keep reading and posting.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm a mum too and in the UK.

For me I found broken sleep and dirty nappies and drink were not a good combination.
Please know I will not judge you at all, because I have been there and probably done it much worse than you. I just want to send you some support from one mum to another.

I have 292 days today.

I enjoy time with my family so much more.

Life is so much better when I am not puking in the shower, afraid to drive in case I still have booze in my system, clock watching until my next drink.

It is also so much better without that internal voice arguing with me telling me that I have a real problem and need to stop. Then a few hours later saying that the sooner I have a drink the better I will feel.

I remember one occasion when my daughter was about 8 months old. She became unwell in the night. We had to take her to the emergency doctor. This was about 11.30pm at night. I had had a few glasses of wine. I could not drive so my partner drove there.

But I remember feeling so ashamed in the doctors office wondering if he could smell booze on me. And also feeling shocked - what would have happened if I had been worse? If I was so drunk I could not function. If my partner had had to taker her on his own and I did not know until morning?

I don't plan too far into the future. I just take it one day at a time.
I also struggle with labels - I don't know if I want to call myself an alcoholic at the moment.
So I have admitted that alcohol makes me unhappy.
Alcohol stops me being the person I want to be.
Babies are so precious and time goes so, so quick and I do not want to miss a minute. So for the here and now, drink plays no part in my life.

I really, really wish you and your child well.
Please keep coming here and reading.
Know that we care and we understand.

Xxxx
Old 12-02-2012, 11:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

7pints again :-( im terrible :-(
Old 12-02-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by verve View Post
7pints again :-( im terrible :-(
Awww verve, I'm sorry to hear that. Are you going to make an effort again? Do you really want to come sober? You must think about your health and your child.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You are not terrible. The alcohol is terrible and it makes you do things even when you do not want to. Once you take that first drink, the alcohol takes over control.

For me, the only way to keep in control is to never take that first drink. I recommend you find someone that you can talk to - your doctor, sober friends or family, a recovery group. Find something that works for you that will help you stay away from that first drink.

Keep reading and posting! We want to help and support you!
Old 12-02-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

verve,
Can you speak with a doctor? Trying to get sober, post natal hormones and the responsibility of new parenthood is a lot to take on at one time. Most of us drank because we thought it helped us in some way....sounds like you use it for anxiety. Seeing a doctor could help....please consider it...for you and your baby.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I feel like an idiot now :-( i have one and.then my drinking gets faster and i cant stop :-( my boys dad drinks and were.not together but he.driiinks
Old 12-02-2012, 01:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I dont wanna spk to anyone as gets back to my mum and shes ill enough as it is to worry about anymore
Old 12-02-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

How would it get back to your mum?

Your doctor is not allowed to tell anyone
AA is confidential.

People probably know anyway, it's hard to disguise heavy daytime drinking.
Your mum will just want you to get better.