Notices

Cutting down on drinking vs quitting.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My alcoholic boyfriend tried loads of times to moderate but it never worked, don't think it will ever work for him.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

If you're trying to "control it" and have guilt over drinking I've got good news and bad news. The good news is, you're probably one of us! The bad news is, you're probably one of... lol

Non alcoholics don't need to quit, control, reward themselves, etc... If they have a problem with drinking, they quit or drastically change with little effort. The fact that you are fighting the battle is proof enough that you're losing it.

Time to quit forever. Now what? How do we live in this world without alcohol??? That is were recovery comes. Being sober AND happy is recovery. Being sober and miserable that is being "on the wagon".

There is so much more to life than drinking. You are telling my story. I so remember those days when I forced my way to 3 or 4 days sober. The drink that followed was almost orgasmic. It was everything I hoped it would be... for about.... 1 hour. Then my compulsion for another and another and anther took over and by the end of the night all of the anxiety of facing another hungover day kicked in. It was miserable.

I lived that way for 15 years. There is a better way....

I wish you the best!
Old 12-01-2012, 09:24 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I am allergic to "moderate" in just about everything! so I have to choose what I am obsessive over...like fitness and work....
Old 12-01-2012, 09:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey Cat,

So glad I found you here....and I'm really hoping that tonight is a good one for you....I'm inspired to believe that I can actually do this now, actually get to a place where the booze no longer controls my life....and I really look forward to being able to go to the supermarket just to buy groceries, instead of the constant plotting and wondering what they think of me...hmmm
Old 12-01-2012, 09:32 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Nostalgia,

So glad you've reached three days, and you sound like you're doing really well....as for the moderation question....only you know if you're really an alcoholic....I certainly know I am.

For me, the idea of cutting down, or just drinking on occasion has stayed with me for many years...over and over I believed it was possible. It wasn't.

Being 'normal', being able to have a drink and then stop is not ever going to be an option for me....it has taken me far too long to learn this lesson, and I have put myself through a great deal of heartache.

Only you can decide where you are right now, only you kow what's right for you. Sounds like you havve a great relationship, maybe the two of you can talk about this......but it really is possible to have a wonderful time alcohol free..... xxxx
Old 12-01-2012, 09:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Nostaligia , It is not working for me, too. I would like to share my story with you.

Yes few years ago, I thought , I could moderate and it was true in the sense, I did not get any of withdrawal symptoms, the same situation as you are in , at this stage.

But please believe all of us. It is progressive. It depends on which stage one is in..However, no matter, which stage one is in, alcoholism is like gravity. Every time you cut down or abstain for few days/weeks and again start, next time , it is going to be more and more difficult. It is like taking 3 steps back , after taking one step ahead. The same pattern repeats.. So in simple mathematics, if you abstain 5 times and re-started 5 times, you will be 10 steps behind ( 5 times 2 ). So your sixth attempt will need , 10 time more efforts to quit. This is what I have been through.. I am at day 5 , after umpteen number of trials. And the this time. it was the most difficult.. Hope, it might make some sense. Wish you all the best.