Notices

11 months yesterday!

Old 12-03-2012, 06:49 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

opps, mean to say 'Will look GOOD on you'.

Should always read before hitting the post reply button.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Jim, OTT, Least and Inda: So glad to have gotten to know you all. I especially miss hearing from OTT...I could use a legal career coach right about now - LOL. It's funny, I remember thinking, oh I would love to have a year sobriety, to be able to say it. Now I think, oh I would love to have several years worth of sobriety...!
Old 12-03-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Now you should hange your name to WON3000!!!
Old 12-03-2012, 04:25 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lost3000 View Post
Hey everyone, thanks for all the well wishes.

To those who asked, AA was my solution. I had tried countless times before, but everytime 5PM rolled around I found myself at the bar. When I decided to quit for good, I told my husband I had a serious problem, and was serious about quitting for good, something I've never really admitted to him before.

I asked him to remove the booze from our house when I wasn't around, and then I went to AA and never looked back. I did just about everything suggested, got a sponsor, did the 12 steps. I met with her once per week, every week. And now that we've gone through the steps, I don't formally meet with her but I make a point of either talking with her or another alcoholic several times per week. I attend AA mtgs almost every day of the week, an average of 6 times per week.

I read every morning from the Daily Reflections. Every night I either write or reflect upon my day, my conduct. I volunteer regularly, and on a day to day basis, I try to look outside of myself and see how I can help others. Even tiny things like forgiving the guy who cut me off in traffic are a good gesture. When I slip up and act like a witch to someone, I try very hard to apologize as soon as I realize it. I spend a lot of time self-reflecting, and trying to live in the moment. I was so serious before, so now I try hard to laugh more and relax. It comes a lot easier to me now. And the deep dark pit of sadness I had before is gone.

You can click on my name and see my posts from last year. I struggled a lot, I didn't like what a lot of people said to me here, but they were all right.

Good luck to everyone out there on SR - life is so much better on this side.
Thanks for writing that down for us. For me, as a newbie, it was very helpful to hear. The forgiveness thing must be very important. I guess if we learn to forgive others, we can forgive ourselves.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

What a great story. I hope your new job is better and you feel comfortable there. Great for you for taking action. Congrats on the 11 months!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:29 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
Now you should hange your name to WON3000!!!
Or LostNoLonger. I've thought about it! I'm not cured though, it's an ongoing thing. I don't want to imply that everything's all chippy now.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by Junebugapril View Post
Thanks for writing that down for us. For me, as a newbie, it was very helpful to hear. The forgiveness thing must be very important. I guess if we learn to forgive others, we can forgive ourselves.
Forgiveness is very hard for me. It's more of a different type of thinking I have. Before, I would have flipped out and stalked the guy who cut me off on the highway. Now, I think, well, he might be having a really bad day, maybe he's an alkie like me, maybe he's having a really hard time. I think the change in my thinking can be described as empathy.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by rochele View Post
What a great story. I hope your new job is better and you feel comfortable there. Great for you for taking action. Congrats on the 11 months!
Thanks Rochele - I'm excited to start my new job, feels like a fresh start.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Great message of Hope for all to absorb. You are working the program and it shows. This is the first time I've read your posts, but I am very impressed with your progress. Newcomers will want what you have! Keep up the great work! God Bless!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by bryangt View Post
Great message of Hope for all to absorb. You are working the program and it shows. This is the first time I've read your posts, but I am very impressed with your progress. Newcomers will want what you have! Keep up the great work! God Bless!
I hope I can give back what was given to me, even if it's just by living sober as an example. Thanks!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

LOST! Happy 11 months! How inspirational! I know the past year has been rocky but you have faced it with a clear mind and a conscious heart and that is so BRAVE to me. Congrats!

Old 12-05-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Thank you Ragamuffin!!!!!!!!!!!