Notices

Yeah, I need some support

Old 11-30-2012, 09:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Yeah, I need some support

I've been addicted to Bronkaid for over two years now. Actually, I should say Bronkaid and Primatene, since Primatene is how it started. I began taking it to help me power through work—I'm a writer by trade—but nowadays, it doesn't really help me work. And yet, I keep on taking it.

And by taking it, I mean that I take at least 24 pills at a time. Two years ago, I was taking 48 pills regularly, and that put me in the hospital. More on that in a second.

When I take the pills, I end up a hermit. I will stay inside for 12-13 hours, playing on the computer the entire time. The reason that I started taking it in the first place—to help me focus on work—is pretty much gone by the wayside now. It has zero impact on how much work I get done.

I've resolved to quit before. Even wrote it down on paper a few months ago. And I've gone 7 days without it as recently as last month, but then I just start feeling like I'm not doing enough work, so I rationalize in my head that it would be a great idea to get some Bronkaid.

I know I have to quit. I've been in the hospital twice with excruciating kidney stones because of this, and yet I continue. I hope that by sharing this here, it gives me a little strength. Does anyone have any advice for trying to beat this thing? I assume it's like every other addiction.

The crazy thing is that I don't really have an addictive personality. I've never done the "hardcore" drugs and I'm not an alcoholic. And yet this addiction to Bronkaid seems just as serious—in my head, at least—as an addiction to heroin or alcohol.

I'm pledging that tonight is the start of the new day. Shooting for 5 days now and then hoping to extend it forever. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi kt

Although I'm asthmatic I'm totally unfamiliar with either of those drugs...but I know you'll find support and encouragement here

welcome!
Old 11-30-2012, 10:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Fellow writer here. I tried the same thing with drinking for years. Just one, to get the thing moving - then I'm at 6 to keep myself moving - then I'm drunk all day "in case I get inspiration."

It's a flawed system. I don't know how tied up in the addiction your writing is, but if you can recognize that it doesn't help you write then I think you're onto something. Just don't fall for your own lies. It sounds like you know better.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR and all the support that brings
Old 12-01-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

According to the internet, these products are largely ephedrine.

You should consult with a Doctor about your having abused these products.

See if you have any health issues.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Hello KT,

Welcome to the forums. I am not familiar with either of those drugs but I am familiar with using drugs to enhance my work/work-rate. These forums are a wealth of information, advice and support. If you need to look at any recovering writer for inspiration then look directly at Stephen King. The guy started using alcohol and cocaine to improve his workrate, and succeeded. But then became convinced he could only write good stuff when loaded. When he decided to get clean and sober the world responded by letting him know his best stuff was written when he wasn't using.

Natom.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

never heard of addiction to these....but, i tried them before i went to a dr. for asthma symptoms ~ he said, ooh they are dangerous... just even following the directed dose i guess :/ be careful
Old 12-01-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hey kt,

just wanted to offer my support....i'm only recently off one drug, and now trying to let go of alcohol.....it's hard hey?? But maybe we have found the right place to support and care for each other....thinking of you xx
Old 12-01-2012, 09:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

yeah, alcohol is my addiction ~ so i do understand....
Old 06-14-2015, 10:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You are not alone

Hello KT,
I also was addicted to bronkaid for several years, and my addiction goes back to loving the feeling the asthma pills my mom gave me when I was a kid. It was called Tedral, and it's not even around anymore ( that was the late 50s -early 60s ). But it's the same "high" ax ephedrine, the main ingredient in Bronkaid. I tried to quit many times like you, but couldn't. I used my addiction to write more songs. I also suffered physical effects, including kidney stones from the guafanesin in Bronkaid. I finally quit when my alcoholism and addiction to Xanax nearly killed me. That was ten years ago and I started going to AA and lived in a sober house for a couple years. Addiction is addiction, doesn't matter what it is. You can stay sober with the help of the fellowship and guidance of AA. That's the only thing that worked for me, and continues to work. Since your post was in 2012, I hope you have since gotten free from your Bronkaid addiction. I used to think no one else would understand mine, and no one else would abuse an over the counter drug like me. (Back in the 90s, you didn't have to sign for it).
You are not alone. We are not alone. And we can help each other break free of the chains of addiction!
All the best to you, my friend!
Old 06-15-2015, 12:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

pharmaceutical drugs are the worst drugs period...

I understand how addiction goes....all too well.. I dont recommend using or abusing such ...i have been using an array of drugs for 10 yrs and by far the worst was anything prescribed ..generic brand anti.depressant wellbutrin. Almost killed me after only 1.week of taking it! Almost jumped out!of!moving vehicle!!! I would wake up from deep sleep and see myself hanging from ceiling! I feel more!normal!on methamphetamines!! Please b very careful on anything regulated and of course man made crap u just never know the reaction especially when u abuse it i read that snorting prescription pills messes up ur nasal membranes even faster than illicit street drugs, i.e. cocaine, meth and heroin..y'all b careful and try ur.best.to.kick it without that b.s . a damn therapist even told me there r no withdrawal from meth or Mary Jane...i beg to.differ but how can i meet the.criteria to inpatient rehab when meeting the criteria means having $ to pay...truth was my insurance doesn't cover rehab so wtf is up with tht...im like wut kinda fukn drugs do i.need to.do.to.get.into rehab! Grrrr damn if i!do!damn if i!dont!!! If they!drug test everyone who receives any!government assistance u bttr believe ther will b rehab on every!corner! How can the government profit is all they!care About,,,im just!plain!frustrated wwith. Society! And im the one with the!problem lol who really is smoking crack here damn u!congress suck my left one id have bttr success opening up a whole other non profit organization then being!put on some wack ass wait list,,,all the wnna do is!kill me we all r!too weak to see get some wisdom in that blood instead ppl! Dont be a victim of system abuse,,,i new term ive coined in honor of the many us citizens that fall!short of qualifying for a certain resource just because such reasons!like mental illness substance abuse! Its crazy how many!ppl in san!antonio texas need help bt cant get it,,,im trying to remain positive bt i will not be quiet when it comes to my rights much red!tape as if its black n!white!but wut about the vast amount of gray areas???
Old 06-15-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR