Notices

30 Days....a bit of envy

Old 11-30-2012, 08:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

30 Days....a bit of envy

Today I am 30 days sober. I guess I should be happy, and I am. It's the first time I have been sober this time in almost 15 years. My ex and I are both alcoholics...even if he isn't ready to admit it. Our breakup in some ways led me to get sober. So I started an intensive outpatient program, and I see a therapist, lots of meetings. How is it that I am busting my tail to stay sober and sane...yet he can be out drinking, partying, loving the drunk babes(lol, not a hater...I used to be one). I just sometimes feel like why was my life the only one that had to change. I could see if we were social drinkers, but we aren't. We were everyday, lets get wasted drinkers. So I am spending my friday on soberrecovery drinking a spinach/banana/strawberry smoothie, and he is out getting stupid drunk yet again. He is about 15 years older than me, and I am almost 30.....just thought he would wakeup by now. Anyways that's my rant....in any case....I didn't drink today!! Thanks for listening!
Old 11-30-2012, 08:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

SoberIntrovert, 37 days sober? FANTASTIC. Congratulations.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just think how good you will look and feel in the morning. He will look quite the opposite! Congrats on 30 days!!!
Old 11-30-2012, 09:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Yep, I had to remind myself all the time that I was getting sober for me, healing myself. It doesn't always feel great, but sure beats the temporary relief of that drunken cycle.
Congrats and keep going.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You have to do for you and not waste enegry pondering his poor choices. You are the one who is healing by doing the hard work. keep it up, work it! 30 days is fantastic.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your sobertime SI

It may not always feel like it, especially in the beginning - but you've made a great decision

I look back now at the way I used to live and the way I live now and there's simply no comparison.

Getting into recovery set me free from the self imposed prison I was in. I regret nothing about that decision and haven;t for a very long time

stick with it SoberIntrovert

D
Old 11-30-2012, 10:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job! Thanks for sharing this. It gives me some hope. I drank like you.

Keep going. You can do this.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Congrats on it 30 days
Old 12-01-2012, 07:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I understand where you are coming from. I see friends that clearly have issues with alcohol still out there partying , posting about it on fb etc. Have an ex who I know is at the bar all weekend. I have to remember that it is a choice to quit drinking. I can drink if I want too, I can spend all day in the bar if I want too. But I'm choosing to not drink. Also all is not as it may seem..if anyone were to see me out partying they may think I'm so happy and having a carefree blast. But in reality I was not happy and and knew I needed to stop. Good luck and remember yu/we are making positive changes for ourselves.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i echo brdlvr! it is a choice that we make to change our lives. my girlfriends that i've been hanging out with playing bunko with for 12 years all still get together once a month to play bunko (aka: drunko!) and i've chosen to remove myself from the group as it's just not a healthy place for me to be in early recovery. I'm happy about the fact that i woke up this morning without a hang-over...how my day is going to be productive from the start (SR posting & coffee....getting my hair done....watching my daughter ride a float in the local Christmas parade and finally date-night with my husband to celebrate 7 years of marriage - which i am truly grateful for)...it would all be a different story if i had been out drinking with the girls last night! Sometimes it doesn't seem fair....but i'm liking being clear headed and sober MORE than i liked being drunk, disorderly and hungover!

Congrats on 30 days!!!! that is an amazing gift of life you have given yourself by choosing not to drink
Old 12-01-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberIntrovert View Post
a spinach/banana/strawberry smoothie,
That sounds dreadful! 30 days sober is big news if you love booze like I do.

I'll go out on a limb and say you'll likely have enough to worry about keeping yourself sober, much less worry about other people's drinking. Take care of yourself, first things first, and more will be revealed
Old 12-01-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thanks everyone that posted. This is my recovery, and I can only worry about myself. I was thinking the same thing, about things not always looking the way it appears, but I didn't know if that was just my broken heart speaking. I have tried to get sober for "him" in the past, thinking it would bring him back, and it was always temporary.(him and the drinking). This time it's for me......the longer I stay sober, the more I look at him and other things, and realize I may not want those things in my life anymore. New month....gonna do my best to make it through, one day at a time. Thanks again everyone!!
Old 12-01-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Grats on 30 days. Can definitely relate to the envy. It doesn't really accomplish much by stewing, though.

Keep at it and soon you won't need to be thinking about it!
Old 12-01-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I can totally relate. I myself left a girl I really loved because I was. One month sober, even cigarettes and when we tried making things work she was still drinking, smoking, weed included.

I know it's hard, thinking of them partying and going with new people. But you are better off alone and sober.

Stay strong!!!!!