Notices

desperate to stay sober

Old 11-30-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

desperate to stay sober

I have to stay sober or I am going to lose everything. I hate myself so much I seem to have made it my life's mission to ensure everyone else hates me as well. I need to take responsibility for my own happiness. I want to live.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome storm -

You're not alone - a lot of us have been where you're at, totally miserable but unable to quit on our own. I had no hope I'd ever be able to get my life back, but coming here gave me the support I needed to make a start.

Glad you're here - things really can get better.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you I appreciate it. Just always seem to have so much stress if it not's work it's family issues. Just get really tired, I know alcohol solves nothing but I've used it to cope for so many years it is hard to imagine life without it
Old 11-30-2012, 04:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

hard to imagine life without it
That's the way I felt, too. I was terrified just thinking about getting sober. I kept thinking "I'll get sober tomorrow (or next week, or whatever." It does get harder and harder to deal with things, though.

What really surprised me was how much my anxiety/depression lifted once I put the drink down. I wouldn't go back to drinking now for anything.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by storm666 View Post
I have to stay sober or I am going to lose everything.
Welcome to the club.

I've got to tell you, the whole sobriety thing...totally worth the effort.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've lost friends, jobs (if I am honest) and now my husband wants me to move out because I'm not a good influence on my son who is 16 and has had drug issues of his own that I feel/I am told I am responsible for. Life is hard. There is not much in the way of help in the UK and I struggle with depression but don't know where that starts and the drinking ends. I've tried AA but hated it, never liked speaking in public and just made me more anxious.

Last edited by storm666; 11-30-2012 at 04:56 PM. Reason: spelling!
Old 11-30-2012, 05:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Storm. I had some of those feelings of self-doubt too. In the beginning, drinking made me feel more comfortable in my own skin. Of course it's not an answer - just a quick fix at times, or so it seems. Over the years, I allowed it to totally take over my life, robbing me of emotions and stealing my joy and hope. It was no friend to me - it took my soul.

I know you can have a better life - you sound ready and willing to be free of that addiction. Many of us who couldn't make a move without it have come out into the sunshine again. I drank all my life, and I'm looking at 5 yrs. sober soon. We know you can do this. Stay with us - this is a wonderful place for encouragement and support.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi storm. Sorry you feel so awful and overwhelmed right now, I can sure relate to that . I'm in the states but I know there are a lot of UK posters here...

It sounds like you've got a lot of outside type pressure going on, mad hubby, job stuff, teenager, etc. I really hope you can internalize some & work on sobriety for just you for now. Once you start to hold your own with some sober time, life does truly get better.

I got sober about 21 months ago, I was a daily drinker, drunk every single day. I didn't use AA but I did kind of, weird as it sounds, make my own little program. I incorporated AA stuff, Women For Sobriety stuff, lots & lots of SR. You can do it I know. Simply wanting to live is a really big step. That's how I was too, on the day I quit I knew for a fact that I was going to die from alcohol if I did not stop right that day. It was the day I finally got it.

I had to change my whole life & I bet you can too. Best wishes to you.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! This is an extremely supportive site. It is definitely not easy, but sounds like you are ready to quit. Keep reading and posting. Looking forward to seeing you on here!!
Old 11-30-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Storm
you'll find a ton of support here - SR really helped me to turn my life around

here's some UK links you might want to look at or chase up?

The National Alcohol Helpline-UK - Tel: 0800 917 8282
Offers help to callers worried about their own drinking; support to the family and friends of people who are drinking; advice to callers on where to go for help.

UK National AA Helpline
08457 697 555

SMART Recovery - SMART Recovery UK

Alcoholics Anonymous (A.A.) Great Britain

Addaction | Drugs & Alcohol Addiction and Recovery: Support - Help - Advice - Treatment

Alcohol services | Alcohol Concern

and some NHS links
Find more health services - Alcohol addiction support - NHS Choices

D