Notices

Almost 30 Days Sober

Old 11-30-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Almost 30 Days Sober

Haven't been on here in a while, however I'm getting close to having 30 days (again) and this time feels different in a good way. I can see real change in me, however I still feel really depressed and my emotions are all over the map. I'm not sleeping well (still) and I am taking antidepressants, which have helped me be able to cope. How long does the depression last and when will it go away? I have sober friends who are happy and joyful and it feels like I will never be there.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your nearly 30 days

It took me quite a long time to feel happy to be honest - I had a lot of baggage to sift through, a lot of things to work on - and some pre-existing depression that I needed to address.

Things did start to level out a little for me after 30 days, but do go back and see your Dr if you're concerned

D
Old 11-30-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Depression is different for everyone. For me, I thought that when I stopped drinking that I would be happy. Instead, it felt like things got worse. Now that I have 100+ days sober, things are starting to let up a little. Sobriety is a marathon, not a sprint. Stick it out and continue to see your doctor/therapist and hopefully your depression will lift sooner rather than later.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm finding that I'm more aware of things and realizing that I have a lot to work through and not drinking is simply the start. I do have a sponsor and maybe this means I need to start working some steps to get through it. Thanks for the encouragement especially about this being a marathon and not a sprint, it's nice to know that this has happened for others. I'm glad this forum is here. Blessings.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I was very impatient for things to feel wonderful again. I had made such a mess, it took a while to feel free from problems. Be kind and patient with yourself. You're doing a wonderful job of reclaiming your life. 30 days is fantastic.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1seekinghelp View Post
I'm finding that I'm more aware of things and realizing that I have a lot to work through and not drinking is simply the start. I do have a sponsor and maybe this means I need to start working some steps to get through it. Thanks for the encouragement especially about this being a marathon and not a sprint, it's nice to know that this has happened for others. I'm glad this forum is here. Blessings.
I think what you are going through is pretty normal...I know I wasn't happy, joyous and free at 30 days....Scared and confused was more like it. Having a sponsor take me through the steps was huge for me...I learned a lot about myself and what made me tick....And drink like I did...It's a journey....I wish you well on it!
Old 11-30-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Having a sponsor is a great start. Where are you in your step work?

I wasn't happy, joyous and free at 30 days either. I was more like angry, agitated and annoyed. And to be honest, I'm still not happy, joyous and free. But I'm also not angry, agitated and annoyed quite as much. I am beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel.

It just takes time. But know you aren't the only one who feels this way.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

30 days is a great start and you will feel better each added day.
For me the alcohol and depression are connected, drinking made me depressed and when I was depressed I drank. I've had more sober day than not this year but are still working on staying sober. I've actually started to be happy lately, it really does get better with time.
Keep going, don't give up and don't give in. You can do this, we all can.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on almost 30 days, I am at 50 today and some days are still tough. This site has a ton of support. Hang in there!