Notices

Help please

Old 11-30-2012, 10:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help please

I'm thinking to drink. My husband just called saying he's going to be late once again for dinner, been waiting for him all day to eat all the family together. I know, it's not a big deal, but made me so upset I yelled at my kids, for no reason. thinking that maybe if i drink I won't be so nervous. I don't have beers, but I have some cooking wine. I'm thinking about drinking that. I so know i shouldn't. please
Old 11-30-2012, 11:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Then choose not to drink.

Pour the wine down the drain.

Make good choices that do not involve alcohol.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Don't drink it!

It's easy for me to say that, I know, but it wasn't once upon a time. I know it's difficult when that uncontrollable urge hits you, but just know this: a craving is not a command and you do not have to act upon it. You can let it pass by not fighting it but accepting it for what it is and moving on.

Do anything. Just don't drink. How will you feel in the morning if you do? How will you feel if you don't?
Old 11-30-2012, 11:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

the urge is so strong, i can't think of anything else. i feel like crying
Old 11-30-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cooking wine is salted...it will make you sick before it will take the edge off.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrsKing View Post
Don't drink it!

Do anything. Just don't drink. How will you feel in the morning if you do? How will you feel if you don't?
If I drink I won't be able to look at the mirror tomorrow, Just today I could see my cheekbones again my face was so relaxed, the bloating and puffiness is gone. And most important of all my head was clear I was happy.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Know that the craving will stop as long as you don't give in to it. Each time you manage to get through a craving it will get easier.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ragazza View Post
If I drink I won't be able to look at the mirror tomorrow, Just today I could see my cheekbones again my face was so relaxed, the bloating and puffiness is gone. And most important of all my head was clear I was happy.
Well... an uncomfortable time whilst you get through this craving is worth waking up tomorrow feeling happy again, isn't it?
Old 11-30-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

ok, I'm going to try to keep cooking, won't give in, just need to wait until my husband comes, once he will be home I won't drink, I'm sure.
Terribob, unfortunately this cooking wine is not salted, it's just fine, wouldn't be the first time I tried it.....
thanks guys it seems like this is passing, oh god thanks
Old 11-30-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good, I am so glad!
Old 11-30-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

;-)

Glad you didn't give in!!
Old 11-30-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If you're that much on edge, ask yourself why you choose to keep cooking wine in the house?

You can make the choice to dump it and all temptation to drink it will wash down the drain.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

the urge is so strong, i can't think of anything else. i feel like crying

How about just going to your room and allowing yourself a good cry? Maybe you will feel better afterwards, rather than holding it all in?

I, by no means, have the secret to sobriety, at only 8 days, but trying to help. How about getting rid of the temptation? Dumping it.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My urges didn't last very long. 15 minutes of insanity. The time between them got farther apart as I continued to abstain. I had to throw out all alcohol when I quit. I was so bad that a week later I was still finding booze hidden around my house. I would just march to the trash and toss it. The whole time I was thinking I can't believe I'm doing this. I was drinking every day, all day no matter what I had to do. I am not sure if I stopped in time, at six weeks sober I still feel run down, but I do look better. Some other health issues have cleared up as well.

Tell yourself that you can do it. We know you can. Convince yourself.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Mamma mia!! ok, so I DIDN'T DRINK. the urge is gone now, my husband came home and we had a lovely dinner of fish, radicchio and roasted potatoes, commenting about the day and joking and laughing with the little ones. Now I'm lying in my room with my daughter ready to watch our favourite show in tv. But I was so close, I'm afraid, I mean, come on Christmas is coming how I'm going to fight the temptation then? well, at least today I didn't drink. THANK YOU ALL!!! feeling weak but strong at the first time
Old 11-30-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you made it through ragazza

This technique was useful for me -
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

D
Old 11-30-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee,
I meant to say weak and strong at the SAME time, :-)
Old 11-30-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Mamma mia!! ok, so I DIDN'T DRINK. the urge is gone now, my husband came home and we had a lovely dinner of fish, radicchio and roasted potatoes, commenting about the day and joking and laughing with the little ones. Now I'm lying in my room with my daughter ready to watch our favourite show in tv. But I was so close, I'm afraid, I mean, come on Christmas is coming how I'm going to fight the temptation then? well, at least today I didn't drink. THANK YOU ALL!!! feeling weak but strong at the first time
One hour and twenty one minutes ago, you said you just found out your husband wasn't coming home.

For approximately 20 minutes you had a crisis.

The time stamps show that in that one hour twenty one minutes, your husband was not coming home, you had a crisis, cooked supper, then your husband came home, then you had a glorious meal, had great conversation and now, with supper behind you...you're watching TV with your daughter.

I'm skeptical.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't see any reason to pick this post apart.
It's not what we do here.

It's possible to crave and cook dinner, it's possible to converse while eating dinner too - and it's more than possible for me to do all those things mentioned above in 80 or 90 mins...while posting here....I do it everyday.

D
Old 11-30-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Xune View Post
One hour and twenty one minutes ago, you said you just found out your husband wasn't coming home.

For approximately 20 minutes you had a crisis.

The time stamps show that in that one hour twenty one minutes, your husband was not coming home, you had a crisis, cooked supper, then your husband came home, then you had a glorious meal, had great conversation and now, with supper behind you...you're watching TV with your daughter.

That's exactly what happened, been cooking all the afternoon, and didn't say he wasn't coming, i said he was coming late, which he did. Anyway not interested in convincing you or anybody, just happy to feel better, thank you anyway xune for taking the time to try to help me first, and then analyze my post