Notices

Please AA members don't jump on the newcomers!

Old 11-29-2012, 06:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Zee

Please AA members don't jump on the newcomers!

This Sober Recovery Forum is not 12 step... please don't jump on people who are having a hard time... it's not for everyone. I see it time and time again.... let people make up their own mind... give them encouragement and your own experiences but please don't say AA is the answer... It drives me nuts (I know this thread will be deleted, but I had to say it!)
Old 11-29-2012, 07:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well I agree with you. There are many other ways, and sometimes people opposed to AA still go that way. It's whatever keeps you sober. Could be many other ways, sometimes it is to just come here. Whatever fits, is what works
Old 11-29-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Jails, institutions, and death .... await all who don't do AA right?
Old 11-29-2012, 07:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ru12 View Post
I think no need to bash AA, I haven't gone back yet, not because it doesn't work, it does, so do many other ways. I didn't go back because I was "hit on" there, no fault of AA. I am still thinking of going back, especially for the face to face interaction.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was hit on there too, many times. I have no issue with AA. In fact, I respect it immensely. It just isnt for me, and I dont believe it is the ONLY way, yet it has helped many people and so for that I am thankful AA is an option.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Originally Posted by ru12 View Post
NO its simply the big house, nut house, and ice house.. If you continue to keep drinking..

I already have found 2 of the 3 , dont want the 3rd. I dont care what program you choose. I just know what works for me.

... monopoly. BB xxi, Foreword to Second Edition
Upon therapy for the alcoholic himself, we surely have no monopoly.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Zee

I just think that this whole forum has so many sections. Newcomers, F&F, secular... it seem like AA always crops up in the newcomers... I think that AA should stick to their section... 12 steps. If the newcomers think that 12 steps is the way they want to go... then go to the 12 steps section...! I understand that the whole thing of 12 steps is to spread the word... but I have seen so manY times that people don't want that! Just have the newcomers as a neutral area... good grief!
Old 11-29-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So what were the other recovery tools?

it's AA, SMART, AVRT, RR, therapist, counseling, doing it alone, getting support on SR

might have missed some. To the newcomers, you do what you want, if you find yourself needing a program or a different program, you have options
Old 11-29-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Also if I get that 12 step correct, it is passing the word, and helping and supporting someone who needs help. Is that not what we do here?
Old 11-29-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

How is the newcomer supposed to hear from all points of view with your way of thinking..

Everyone to there corners and stay there.

And I think Dee and Anna do a great job at shutting anything down if it is no longer useful to the newcomer..!!!!
Old 11-29-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Zee

I'm not starting a debate... the newcomers section should not be bombarded with AA, thats all. It should be neutral!
Old 11-29-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think if you have a newcomer...You should share what works for you. We're adults here...People can make up thier own minds.....share what works for you...I can't really think of a better way that would work. I don't tell people they have to go to AA...I simply tell them I've seen it work.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

This rule applies to everyone, all AA and non AA SR members alike

The Newcomers Forum is a safe and welcoming place for newcomers. Respect is essential. Debates over Recovery Methods are not allowed on the Newcomer's Forum. Posts that violate this rule will be removed without notice. (Support and experience only please.)
Newcomers forum is open to all to share their experience.
It's always been that way and that's the way to best help the newcomer I think.

We expect everyone to do that responsibly and with some sensitivity, regardless of what method they got sober with.

If anyone is seen 'jumping on' anyone else here, chances are Anna and I have dealt with it.

If 12 step methods offend you, there's the secular forum where such methods are off topic.

Lets all get back to helping a newcomer

D