Notices

getting through today

Old 11-29-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
p***enger

getting through today

Hi all, Day 4 for me not off to a great start-- last night was hard -- went to a reception w/wine which was ok since i prefer hard liquor (but would usually have had a glass or two anyway) but then afterwards my best drinking partner with whom i had to work offered me a drink not once but two, maybe three times even though he knows i'm not drinking now... this morning woke up depressed & started obsessing about how good not the first but the third drink feels...

i'm having a lot of doubts but trying just to make it through today.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know how you feel. It does get better. You can do it.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

For me it was well worth the effort of sticking with sobriety .

Quite often old drinking buddies try to offer drinks and tempt you, sometimes they see one of their old drinking buddies quitting as something which makes them feel uncomfortable about their own consumption and makes then ask questions they don't want to face .

I think what you've done is incredibly strong and positive thing to have done.... and only on day 4

Bestwishes, M
Old 11-29-2012, 12:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Each time you get through something like that, will make you stronger.

And, maybe you could try to avoid the co-worker/best drinking buddy in situations like that.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're like me tho courage you never stop at the the third drink - and the consequences of that never feel good, by any measure.

Early recovery is rough - I tried not to make it any tougher. I thought about the invites I accepted and the people who would be there.

It's ok to miss a few things for a while in order to build up your sobriety muscles I think?

D
Old 11-29-2012, 12:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Just wait till you wake up a few days or a week from now, completely done with detoxing and you feel great. Grateful to be alive. You’ll look back with a much different perspective on the offer of those drinks …. and it will be a better perspective.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
p***enger

thank you everybody. my drinking friends are unfortunately also colleagues... so i have to see them frequently -- another one just now said she associates me with drinking and was going to get me drinking again. i know they have their reasons -- partly we've had some good times together. they really don't realize that for every fun social drink i had with them, i had five lonely sad ones on my own. oh well.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
they really don't realize that for every fun social drink i had with them, i had five lonely sad ones on my own. oh well.
Is it possible for you to share that with them?

Becuase I was thinking, in my case I have friends who have been with me when I've been really drunk and they werent bad, but also when they've been really drunk and I wasn't bad.

So when I tell them I quit drinking, they will say why? You're just like me, a bit too much sometimes is OK, you're not that bad.

But that's because they don't know about all the times I've drank myself into a blackout when I was alone. I got to a point where, a couple years ago, I started trying to check myself out of social drinking situations early just to drink alone, because I felt more comfortable drinking alone. Thats how much I love beer I guess. But, I guess it catches up with you.

Anyways, I know its hard but I feel like if the drinkers you associate with knew exactly where you're coming from, they probably would stop trying to pressure you into drinking. They probably think you don't have a problem cause they havent really seen the worst of it first hand. If they knew, maybe they'd be more supportive. Easy said then done though, I know.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I think when we decide to sober up we are not just changing ourselves but our relationships as well. Looks like your buddy may have a fear of change. You can still be a friend to him, just a sober one. If the two of you are nothing but drinking buddies, you may need to reevaluate his place in your life.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You lived up to your name being around alcohol so early in recovery, and you did it successfully. Think about how great you felt in the morning, you will continue to feel better each day!!