Notices

Help against obsessive anxiety

Old 11-29-2012, 01:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Memberado

Help against obsessive anxiety

Hi all!!!

I've been making LOTS of progess since I last wrote. I moved, I joined AA and became serious about my recovery. Day 19 here! Met LOADS of fantastic people who have helped me more than I could have imagined. I have a sponsor with whom I work.

For the first time in almost 10 years I have found some sort of peace of mind. I have almost 0 urge to pick up a drink. It's like a switch has been flipped in my head.

However, I still battle THE most persistant problem of my life: anxiety, obsessive, paralysing anxiety.

This is how my anxiety manifests itself: Usually it's related to things in "daily life". I've been living between countries (in Europe) for the past years and have been filing my taxes in the country where I've been considered a resident. It's been going fine until now. Suddenly I got a letter from one country's tax authority telling me they consider it illegal that I haven't filed an income tax report to them for 2011 (even though I got a letter from them, a few months ago, saying I was not considered a resident in 2011). Obviously they attached a list of legal paragraphs with threats of imprisonment, fines etc etc.

I took action in the delay that they have accorded me: 30 days. I wrote a letter explaining that I didn't file a report because I:

a: had received a letter from them stating I was not considered a resident in 2011.
b: I had no income, whatsoever, in that country in 2011.

I also assured them that I would be happy to fill out any form they may require from me.

STILL, I have absolutely obsessive thoughts and horrible anxiety over this. It's at it's worst around the time the mail arrives. I sit behind my door, waiting with absolute dread for a letter from them... with some horrible news. Some sort of a huge fine or worse.

I try to think that I have done what I could and I try to hand over what happens next to my higher power. But I still can't let go of the almost panicky anxiety while waiting for the mail.

The worst part is almost that this is how I go about my life all the time. Once this is solved I will very quickly find a new reason to worry in the exactly same way.

Any suggestions as to how to let go?

THANKS!
Old 11-29-2012, 02:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi DB

congrats on your sober time
have you ever seen a counsellor or a Dr about this kind of general catastrophising anxiety?

My experience with bureaucracy is only with one country but I'd be willing to suggest it's the same the world over...they're always open to explanations, and you always have right of appeal should anything nasty happen.

Little guys like us are generally not their targets - I severely doubt you'll ever be carted off to jail...and even if you were found liable? any fine for one year, is likely to be smaller rather than larger.

I'm sure others here will be able to provide more pertinent experience though

The point is tho, you can worry or you can not worry.
The outcome is pretty much going to be the same.

try not to worry
D
Old 11-29-2012, 03:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Memberado

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi DB

congrats on your sober time
have you ever seen a counsellor or a Dr about this kind of general catastrophising anxiety?

My experience with bureaucracy is only with one country but I'd be willing to suggest it's the same the world over...they're always open to explanations, and you always have right of appeal should anything nasty happen.

Little guys like us are generally not their targets - I severely doubt you'll ever be carted off to jail...and even if you were found liable? any fine for one year, is likely to be smaller rather than larger.

I'm sure others here will be able to provide more pertinent experience though

The point is tho, you can worry or you can not worry.
The outcome is pretty much going to be the same.

try not to worry
D
Hi Dee!

You are so right: wether I worry or not, the outcome will be the same.

So, the conclusion must be that this anxiety is not rational in nature. My rational side doesn't manage to overpower my "reptile brain" when it comes to this kind of anxiety.

I'm beginning to think that maybe I just need to practice hard (pray, meditate) on turning these thing over to my higher power. Practice makes perfect?

Any ideas are welcome.

Yes, I have spoken about it to several docs and shrinks bit haven't gotten any good hands on responses or ideas.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I have had serious anxiety my entire life around the issues of finances and authority figures. I know where it stems from, but all the intellectual gymnastics in the world don't seem able to "talk" it away.

My recovery work has helped, but sort of in a round about way. Acceptance is a huge part of it for me. Accepting that I have this area of vulnerability. Accepting that there are ways to address these things that so concern me, and making a commitment to myself to do so. That helps me feel less powerless and taking action helps some of the adrenaline seep out.

People budget for things that matter to them. I realize that budgeting a financial advisor is important to me. Others may want a personal trainer or a gardener. I need help in this area.

Meditating, focused breathing, and disciplining myself to eat right, go to bed on time, etc all help as well.

the sort of thing you describe is one of those things that sends me reeling. Making sure I am putting energy into the other areas of my life, so I don't get so obsessively focused and maintain balance is very important.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have OCD and found that things got a lot better for me after receiving treatment from my Doctor and seeing a psychologist about it.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dont sweat the small stuff....life is too short to worry. It happens to me also and I try to think of 1 thing....if I was told I only had 3 months to live would (my current worry) really matter....funnily enough no has been the answer every time....helps put things in perspective
Old 11-29-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

I used to be in a constant state of anxiety and panic. Everything scared me, everything created anxiety and panic. It was a comfortable state of being.

Irrational fear(s), definitely. This is where the steps 4-9 helped me.

Now, changing my habits were a bit more difficult. Feeling anxious and panicky was a habit. It takes time to change a habit.

As Dee said, the outcome may be the outcome, no matter how you feel. Breathe slowly, use the tools of AA (call your sponsor and network, help another alcoholic, etc).

Give yourself more time and soon you will find that facing your fears, as you have done with this situation, can be done and that anxiety will soon leave you!
Old 11-29-2012, 05:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Funny I have anxiety about the mail as well. That some sort of terrible news is going to be delivered but it is very managable. At 19 days your brain is still clearing out and what you will find is that the longer you are sober the more the anxiety will disappear. Stay sober and things will start to get better.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Memberado

Thanks for all the great suggestions and thoughts.

Had a long talk w/ my sponsor today and his opinion is that my anxiety related behavior goes hand in hand with 'the alcoholic mind' and its way of functioning/thinking. He thinks I need to just hang in there and speak about it all to others in order to better understand that I am not alone in this and that there is hope. He thinks I'll be able to handle all of this better as I'm going thru the steps.

To me it's a revelation that I have an alcoholic mind and an alcoholic way of thinking EVEN when I'm sober. I'm not completely sure of what that entails at this point.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I suffer from anxiety. I have had some treatment for it in my life. When I quit drinking 2 years ago, I had several panic attacks. It was worry about my health. That is my biggest panic trigger. It got to where I hardly left the house, but i was good at veiling it. I could get myself to things at the school, the stores around town, but was very anxious about straying ot far in case something horrible happened to me. I was in the midst of a big health scare, and waiting for results of appointments and tests.

Years before that, I was having similar anxiety and panic surrounding my father's declining health(but it was making me have scary episodes of chest pain, rapid heart rhythms, etc...).

I had some medication for awhile, and some monthly therapy to adjust the meds. And I read a book, at the recommendation of my psychiatrist. "Mastery of Your Anxiety and Panic." It really was helpful.

It is a disorder, like any mental illness. So, it may never go way, but you can manage it. I was very anxious when I stopped drinking the first time(I had been drinking my heaviest before that), and it was due to the withdrawal, I am sure. Not so much this time.

I hope you can find a way to feel more calm. Anxiety can be crippling.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Memberado

Originally Posted by rochele View Post
I suffer from anxiety. I have had some treatment for it in my life. When I quit drinking 2 years ago, I had several panic attacks. It was worry about my health. That is my biggest panic trigger. It got to where I hardly left the house, but i was good at veiling it. I could get myself to things at the school, the stores around town, but was very anxious about straying ot far in case something horrible happened to me. I was in the midst of a big health scare, and waiting for results of appointments and tests.

Years before that, I was having similar anxiety and panic surrounding my father's declining health(but it was making me have scary episodes of chest pain, rapid heart rhythms, etc...).

I had some medication for awhile, and some monthly therapy to adjust the meds. And I read a book, at the recommendation of my psychiatrist. "Mastery of Your Anxiety and Panic." It really was helpful.

It is a disorder, like any mental illness. So, it may never go way, but you can manage it. I was very anxious when I stopped drinking the first time(I had been drinking my heaviest before that), and it was due to the withdrawal, I am sure. Not so much this time.

I hope you can find a way to feel more calm. Anxiety can be crippling.
Hi Rochele!

I can identify with almost all you are writing about. I too have paranoia and anxiety about health stuff. But financial stuff is my worst trigger I think.

Yes, my anxiety is crippling. It's a vicious cycle. Waiting for the mail keeps me so anxious that I CANNOT focus on the freelance work I have to get done at home that is my only source of income right now. I didn't get any mail today and it's 1 pm and I am feeling tired yet relieved.

This is insanity.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Try the book, and a psychiatrist who can prescribe meds. it can help. It is an illness. Would you not use meds to fight cancer if you needed? Mental illness is real, it is not a weakness. And you can gain balance as well. But get help if this is crippling you, interfering with your work. It is horrible and feeds off of itself. I know.

Amazon has the book. And a work book(I did not have the workbook).
Old 11-30-2012, 04:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Memberado

Originally Posted by rochele View Post
Try the book, and a psychiatrist who can prescribe meds. it can help. It is an illness. Would you not use meds to fight cancer if you needed? Mental illness is real, it is not a weakness. And you can gain balance as well. But get help if this is crippling you, interfering with your work. It is horrible and feeds off of itself. I know.

Amazon has the book. And a work book(I did not have the workbook).
Thanks Rochele!! I appreciate your time and effort.

Ok I will get the book and really try this time to get out of my head and take in the advice that is on offer.

Seeing a shrink now and getting meds is expensive since I am not covered by insurance right now... I just changed countries. I'll begin with the book and see where it takes me.

Thanks again!

PS today when I told my sponsor about this, I kind of jokingly said: "I'm 30, I'm an adult. I shouldnt be acting irrationally like this. Sitting behind the door, waiting for the mail, fantasizing about all possible horror scenarios that may become reality when I receive my mail. This is insanity!"

He responden: you said it, not me. You said it's insane.

It made me realize that this is actually serious. It's not comical or funny. This has and is ruining my life in a lot of ways.