Notices

How do you tell people about your sobriety?

Old 11-28-2012, 09:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

You can always just say that you aren't drinking tonight, but thanks for the offer if you know they won't be supportive of your recovery.

I wish you the best of luck!
Old 11-28-2012, 09:53 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Location: Las Vegas, Nevada... Originally from Cincinnati, Ohio
My ex husband questioned why my daughter knows I go to AA, my response was simply "I am not ashamed to be bettering myself and my life". Other people I just say no thanks. I haven't ran into anyone yet who questions it.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:17 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi, I think I'm just going to say that I am about to embark on a big health kick including a #yozb Year of Zero Booze. By then end of a year they will know I'm cool without a drink anyway
Old 11-29-2012, 12:08 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Up to you patty, you have told your partner and if he is supportive that is the main thing, you can share your thoughts with him.
I told people I was quitting alcohol basically to keep me honest, it made me want to continue to stay sober so I wouldn't disappoint them. Others I just said "it's for a few months" but I plan to continue forever hopefully
Just so long as your aware you don't owe anyone an explaination, I had to learn that a few months ago and it's really sunk in now, and also as others have said, people don't really care all that much, definitely not as much as I thought they would and the ones that do I don't really care for anyway because it's my life, my decision, nothing to do with them
good luck on your journey x
Old 11-29-2012, 02:12 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I honestly don't care what other people think. And to be honest not many people are questions. If they do I just mention that my grandad had trouble with alcohol and drugs and I don't wanna go down that road. But sometimes I just straight up tell people I am a recovering addict. It depends who it is.

Natom.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:18 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

pattyj one of the things about getting sober is your eyes start to open up to things that you were doing that seemed funny sober but entirely stupid now that you are sober. Your priorities will change, it won't be about getting drunk at the party or releasing a pressure with a drink and you will start to find new hobbies and ways to pass your time.

This will be a refining time as well, friends will start to drop away and some may find issue with your sobriety perhaps because they are not ready to face their own demons as well. What you tell them is up to you but you need to remember that you are getting sober for you and if they have an issue it is their problem and not yours.

Personally I'm careful about who I share my sobriety with as in I wouldn't tell co-workers and casual friends and distant family about it but my close friends know and my family know I am not drinking anymore.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:04 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

"Im an alcoholic i dont drink. alcohol and me dont mix. if you care for me in the least you will accept it move on and support me or get out of my way"

congrats to you!
be strong and vocal. theres no shame in sobreity