Notices

I'm an alcoholic but I still got drunk.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee74. I've got to try again...
Old 11-28-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Mammy, "Under the Influence" really, really helped me understand my drinking.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Going to order it on Amazon. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:08 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Under the Influence is a great book and was very helpful to me also. Rational Recovery helped me the most as far as a theory and the technique of AVRT goes. I know there's a free crash course in AVRT (addictive voice recognition technique) online. A maybe someone can post the link for you.

love from Lenina
Old 11-28-2012, 03:22 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I know that I had many days of self loathing and desperation when I was still drinking. One day I woke up and I was sick and tired of feeling guilt, shame, embarrassement, and remorse all the time. I went to AA in March of 2011 and have been sober ever since. Recovery has not been easy for me. It is hard work. I just know I want to be sober more than I want to drink. I never want to see the look of disappointment, hurt, and shame on the face of my 2 daughters again because of my drinking. I think it is important to pick a program of recovery that works for you, commit to it, and follow through. Even when things are tough you have to stick with recovery. Everyone in recovery has been faced with tough times and decisions. You have to chose not to drink during those times. Good luck. Nothing changes, if nothing changes.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:32 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Yes Amy2011 I don't want those feelings anymore either. My son telling me I smelled like wine really killed me last night. I had flashbacks to my own fathers alcoholism. And I remember him too and i was 4, I don't want my 5 year old to remember Mommys wine breath when going to bed.

And I will have to look at these various programs to see where I fit. Thank you!
Old 11-28-2012, 09:00 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mammyof3boys View Post
I'm not trying to put down meetings, I know that they work for many people. People in my own extended family have sworn by them, are now sponsers.

I think I'm too ashamed. I'm afraid. I didn't care last night if I got drunk, that's the truth. I'm a mess.
There are lots of different support groups, keep trying them until you find something that fits for you. Reading and exercise have helped me a lot. Have you talked to your doctor or s counselor? I like the counselor I see every other week, my own personal venting session.

I know it isn't easy, don't feel guilty it won't do you any good. Just start again and take something away from the past few days.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:52 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
...is awesome!

Originally Posted by Lenina View Post
Under the Influence is a great book and was very helpful to me also. Rational Recovery helped me the most as far as a theory and the technique of AVRT goes. I know there's a free crash course in AVRT (addictive voice recognition technique) online. A maybe someone can post the link for you.

love from Lenina

http://www.rational.org/recover.html

Thank you Lenina SO much!!! I just visited the site and did the crash course. It was AMAZING. It's the one thing I haven't tried with this dam addiction and I'm sticking to it mmmmmmmmmmmwah to you
Old 11-29-2012, 03:59 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

We have shown how we got out from under. You say, "Yes, I'm willing. But am I to be consigned to a life where I shall be stupid, boring and glum, like some righteous people I see? I know I must get along without liquor, but how can I? Have you a sufficient substitute?"

Yes, there is a substitute and it is vastly more than that. It is a fellowship in Alcoholics Anonymous. There you will find release from care, boredom and worry. Your imagination will be fired. Life will mean something at last. The most satisfactory years of your existence lie ahead. Thus we find the fellowship, and so will you
Old 11-29-2012, 04:11 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I'm going to try AA again, going tonight at 7. It's a beginners meeting. Exactly where I am
at. I honestly feel different this morning, and I want it to last.
Thanks everyone for helping me through the last 24 hours.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Mammy, I am so thrilled to see how kind people have been to you. We are all going through something similar. I love how you are reaching out for help and really trying to do anything possible to help you. It makes me feel like I am doing the right thing, too. Coming here to Sober Recovery almost two weeks ago was the best move I ever made. This feels like home to me.

JunebugApril
Old 11-29-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Thank you Junebugapril. I am glad you are here too! I am hoping for a better life, for the me I used to be. She's here somewhere!