Notices

Back again, help/support needed

Old 11-28-2012, 12:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again, help/support needed

Hello everyone,

Last time I have been here I think about 2 months ago. Went cold turkey since drinking almost destroyed my marriage, relationship with my baby girl and ended up in a hospital. After a week of withdrawals I finally started to feel better.

2 Weeks later I went to the beach and gave in to the temptation by the beach to have a beer. And it went down hill from there started from little bit and now a month later Iam drinking almost everyday! I find myself going to the shop non stop buying beer. It gets scary today my hands are shacking badly and anxiety kicks in. I feel so depressed that I failed yet again really really need some advices on how to stop drinking apart from AA.

Thank you.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi sup,,, sorry you are having a toughy,,, you are not a failure,, you just sliiped,,, pull yrself back up ,, and start again,, isnt that what we do in all walks of our lives?
i dont do aa,, but i have found my solice in rational recovery,, google the website to read more,, and i read the book,, "rr a new way for addictions " by j.trimpey,,, its my way ,, i lke it and it works for me,,, its not for everyone,,, but no harm in looking eh??

im now 27 days sober,, and i swear its down to the avrt,, and this awesome place,,, keep posting and reading,,, you guys inspire me , help me,, and care for me,,, just as we do you too,,, not much advice but here for you if you need me,,,
big hugs x lv cleoxxxx
Old 11-28-2012, 12:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You have not failed, till you give up trying. As Cleo mentioned, if not AA, you can try Rational Recovery , AVRT or Lifering or anything else which might work.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

SMART is a good one too, especially if you want non AA meetings. Or you could use SR more often as a part of your recovery... Or just a bit of everything. Whatever it takes. You can do this x
Old 11-28-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That's how I was, too. One drink and I was off to neverland. No control, ever. That's why I had to stop all together. It was actually a relief to be rid of it - no more wondering what I said or did, no more danger.

Try not to think of yourself as a failure. You had to learn - and it sounds like you're ready this time. Some of the methods the others mentioned have worked well for many. We know you can kick that stuff out of your life. Keep talking to us. You can do it.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Why it can never be just a few drinks with friends and thats it. Always has to go to the end.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sup3r1or View Post
Why it can never be just a few drinks with friends and thats it. Always has to go to the end.
I accepted that I cannot, under any circumstance, drink alcohol...ever.

Accepting that was a huge step in my recovery.

I can't drink alcohol, not even one and I'm glad for it.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Xune View Post
I accepted that I cannot, under any circumstance, drink alcohol...ever.
+ 1

Wishing you could drink like a normal person, or resenting that you can't is the most futile of thoughts and a roadblock to recovery.

The Normal Drinker train left the station a long time ago. You need to catch the Sober train.

Good luck.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
+ 1

wishing you could drink like a normal person, or resenting that you can't is the most futile of thoughts and a roadblock to recovery.

The normal drinker train left the station a long time ago. You need to catch the sober train.

Good luck.
+2
Old 12-01-2012, 07:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think I should accept the fact I shouldn't have even one for a long long time. Yesterday I had 1 and what is the result? Got smashed, hammered again. was going to the shop till they closed. Feel awful today again So sad, I was feeling so great when I didn't drink
Old 12-01-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

scroll down to the Secular Forum

Rational Recovery, AVRT, SMART, Life Ring, Women for Sobriety are some other non 12-step programs.

Something can help! And stick around here, too~!!

join us in chat!
Old 12-01-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

There are various support programs and organizations out there besides AA. Sorry you feel that wasn't right for you. I find it to have made a great difference in my recovery.

Listen to sugarbear, check out the Secular area.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was in the hospital 4 times, and without aftercare in place, it was useless. I was back drinking within days until this last time (I now have over 4 mos). I left rehab with a plan to start an intensive outpatient program the next day, got set up with a fabulous psychiatrist, and got on some antidepressants to help with the anxiety. Naltraxone also helped me tremendously to reduce cravings. We need to remember there is a major physiological component at work, and our serotonin and dopamine levels are all messed up. Nutrition is important. Therapy is important. Seek a professional (psychiatrist, physician...) to help guide you through this. I'm glad I did! I suffered a lot less, learned a lot, and am finally staying sober.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm not an AA Big Book thumper.

But the program and more importantly the face to face fellowship has been vital to my sobriety.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Lots of good advice above. I know I would be right where you are tonight if I allowed myself a glass of wine, because it wouldn't be a glass.

Try researching some of the above recovery options and find what will work for you. You can do this for you and your family!!

Keep reading and posting on here, it helps.