SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day 5 and I survived Christmas decorating (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/275792-day-5-i-survived-christmas-decorating.html)

Melanomagirl 11-27-2012 07:47 PM

Day 5 and I survived Christmas decorating

Woo hoo!! Thank you Lord! I made it through decorating the tree with my kids without any wine! I had a bad headache (this usually goes away if I have wine)but I took Advil and had hot tea instead:) Now I just have to gear up for a party on Friday night. I can do this...I'm just taking it one day at a time! This forum has been soooo helpful! It's great knowing I'm not alone. I didn't realize other people struggled with wine. It seems socially acceptable....I bet there are a lot of others like myself out there. Wine has been such a big part of my life and friendships. Makes me sad to tell it good bye...I'm just going to live one day at a time. One day at a time without wine! Good luck to everyone!!

amy55 11-27-2012 07:53 PM

Your kids must have loved that decorating today. It is so nice to see a Christmas tree all lit up, it gives hope.

phoebe64 11-27-2012 07:55 PM

Oh, I can completely relate! Had not thought about the decorating.

Good for you!

Windancer 11-27-2012 07:58 PM

:)
Great job! Im happy for you and happy to hear you are happy about it. Keep it up...something you are doing is obviously working for you.

artsoul 11-27-2012 07:58 PM

That's awesome - it's nice making memories when we're really "there!" Things are always a little scary the first time around, but I found that just staying in the moment (one thing at a time, one day at a time, like you said) really helps.

Congrats on 5 days sober!:c011:

Wolfram 11-27-2012 08:21 PM

Congratz!!

Tomorrow I too will be at day 5. Well at midnight, less than an hour from now.

:)

jstar 11-27-2012 11:14 PM

that is awesome! i'll be christmas decorating soon too & am excited to do so with my kids without being tipsy!

what a great gift of sobriety :)

positivelady67 11-27-2012 11:52 PM

congratulations on 5 days. I too had a problem with wine it was my best friend for 20 Years and giving it up was like grieving. I too decorated my tree Saturday evening with my 3 year old grandson a tradition I did alone well not quite my best friend was always with me, but not this year. Seeing my grandson say wow nanny its beautiful so many times brought a tear to my eye. I am making new memories all the time now and slowly losing the associations. I will be 8 months sober on Sunday and believe me you can do this.

I wish you all the best.

Ally
x

inlalaland 11-28-2012 12:11 AM

just say'n ~ your name troubles me...melanoma is a big fear of mine :/

rainyengland 11-28-2012 12:22 AM

yay! - well done :) - wine was mine too - day 5 coming up :)..wine not a very good friend really..see ya wine,nice knowing you :)

Melanomagirl 11-28-2012 04:56 AM

Melanoma is a scary thing! I am stage III but NED (no evidence of disease) for 5 yrs...go to the dermatologist once a year for a skin check!! I was 34 when I was diagnosed. There are a lot of younger people being diagnosed. But if it's caught early it's almost 100% curable:)
I figure I survived cancer surely I can survive sobriety:)