Notices

What do you do to stay sober BESIDES meetings/AA?

Old 11-27-2012, 04:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question What do you do to stay sober BESIDES meetings/AA?

Any tips on how to stay calm/enjoy life/not pick up?
Old 11-27-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

Workout!!!
Old 11-27-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Volunteer at an animal shelter
Old 11-27-2012, 04:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I am not an AA person, but I do a lot of things.

Balance has been crucial to my recovery and I strive to find balance every day. Exercise is important, trying to eat well and meditating and yoga. I have found SR to be a lifeline to me for many years. And, I am always looking for something recovery-related to read.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

I believe there's another program - I wanna say it's called SMART - that's not at all like AA.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Take a college course, exercise, hike, other volunteer work, big brother/big sister. Many things to do.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I study part-time and volunteer for a community service organisation 1 day per week. I also love walking-there's a beautiful lake near where I live-catching up with friends and if i'm stuck, well then, i'm not opposed to taking myself out on a "date" to see a movie Makes sense, really-i'm building a relationship with myself
Old 11-27-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Live my life!
Old 11-27-2012, 05:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

exactly, i'm not dragging a chain around.....with a bottle on the end.

I am not an AA person, do not go to meetings. I connect here daily and with others. I enjoy my sobriety and my true friends. Alcohol is just a beverage i don't like anymore, it does not dictate my life, it's not a career *(as it used to be when i was drinking). Recovery and sobriety is a lot more than focusing on booze all the time.

out of sight, out of mind for the most part.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I go to bzoink.com and do surveys, they are not like consumer surveys, but rather lists of questions about ourselves, likes, dislikes, etc etc. I find it interesting to "see" who I am. Stopping to slow down, think about the answers, be surprised by the variety of questions.

It's even something my boyfriend and I like to do together, we've learned SO much about one another by reading the questions outloud and answering them, real conversation starters.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Autobrew Anon Member

SR is a mainstay in my life right now.... sometimes I come here so many times a day, sometimes just in the morning and nite for the grat pack threads (I love those people), sometimes I just take a hike and then come back. But grateful SR is around all the time.
**Please feel welcome to drop in on the Morning & Bedtime Gratitude threads -- it really does help me to consciously think of what I am grateful for. And the company there is very warm and understanding.... and a bit hilarious at times.

Besides that: I'm babystepping towards a more fit and healthier me by "attempting to exercise" and to eat better. I like to do natural things so I research that on the web and read on forums (things I'm trying now are coconut oil, sesame seeds & kefir). I am slowly, very slowly getting my house back into shape too - I really did a downslide on housework while I was drinking.
I am getting back into reading everyday like I used to - before I got so deep into my drinking, I used to literally wear my library card out. I watch a lot of Netflix - my snacks are popcorn and cut up veggies here lately with whatever beverage I have: juice, pop, water. A lot of times I just get myself past the store to my house after work and go to sleep on the couch (one reason I drank was I was so tired after work and drinking seemed to wake me up...so much that I would drink til late at nite...just wound up drinking) So sleeping isn't such a bad alternative I guess... I don't have kids (except catkids) and am single so I can get away with it. I think it's okay to do this, that maybe my body is repairing itself and maybe someday I won't be so tired or won't need to sleep to avoid drinking. I play a lot of games on the internet - pogo.com has chat and weekly challenges so it's pretty fun, facebook and SR also has an arcade room. I blog some - you can have your own blog here at SR too.
I guess I'm saying just fill your time and try to do it with things that either entertain you or take your focus off of drinking, or both.
I wish you the best - sounds like you are searching out ways to make your own customized plan of attack so you will be successful, so good for you!!