Notices

Fired from my job.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fired from my job.

I was fired from my job today for "poor work performance". I had never had a performance review and had never been told I was doing anything wrong. Oh well. The only problem is now I don't know what to do with myself. Normally I would be drunk by now, chain smoking cigarettes, but I have given those up. What do I do?
Old 11-27-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear that, how about take your dog for a walk.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Then after the walk, maybe try to think of some jobs that you might be interested, and start checking the want ads.

Again, I am so sorry this happened
Old 11-27-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry to hear that eveval - hope you can find another job soon.
Volunteering was a good way for me to fill my days in the beginning - it helps your resumé too
Old 11-27-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
2 detoxes down, 0 to go

Do you go to meetings, AA or otherwise? I am also unemployed, so I'm making it a point to go to at least one meeting a day, sometimes two, plus I usually attend the midnight meeting at aaonline.net. And of course I spend a few hours a day on various job boards, trying to get my resume/application out to at least three new employers each day. And I've started working out again.

And I second the volunteering idea. I need to look into that myself.

You asked "What do I do?". I think the short answer is try not to take the firing too personally (easier said than done, I know, but I wallowed for a while and I can tell you it didn't get me anywhere). And fill your hours with as many productive, positive things as you can think of.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So sorry about that eveval. Volunteer work for a cancer society keeps me busy between jobs. I just act like it's a paying job as far as my resume goes. No one has asked if it's volunteer work.

What to do with your time? Feed ducks pieces of bread. I'm not kidding about that. I do it. I use the bread that's been in the freezer for a year and is freezer burned and feed it to the ducks. They don't mind at all. So I clear out my freezer, get some fresh air, and have some inter-species interaction at the same time.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So sorry, eve.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The good thing is you don't have to wonder if drinking was the problem. I had a minor fender bender when I wasn't drinking and it was such a relief to be absolutely certain that I was not at fault.

My sister works as a nurse's assistant. She goes long periods without drinking, then out of the blue she drinks gin before work and gets fired. Just happened again this week. She sounded really good the last time I talked to her on the phone.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe this is an opportunity for you to regroup and find a job that you love.

And, volunteering saved my soul in the early days of recovery.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

I'm sorry eve I've lost three jobs... maybe four, I honestly can't remember due to "poor performance". But in my case it was "poor performance" 'cause I was showing up extremely hungover or not showing up at all.

Would you like to volunteer somewhere? If you're into AA meetings I'd hit two a day just to take up free time. Free time is a killer for me and is a huge trigger.

*HUGS*
Old 11-27-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that....

Use this time to do what's best for you... Things happen for a reason.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sorry about your job. I think volunteering is a good way to fill the time until you can find a new position. Maybe you will find a job that you love.