Notices

hi everyone :)

Old 11-27-2012, 09:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hi everyone :)

Hi Everyone - what a great forum,been looking over last few days and how much do i relate to what everyone is talking about !

My story - few glasses of wine after work to two bottles a nite,3 a day at weekend and killing myself slowly - been going on for 15 years!

fed up of the feeling dead every day - the low self esteem,the terrible stench that i know everyone can smell,worst is how i look,grey and saggy - 44 and look 60 in my own eyes

sorry to my wife and children - ruined last years and going to make it work now!

went sober on saturday - yesterday was hell - felt terrible all day,like i was going to faint..

today is good so far but i am not counting chickens!

was thinking today - i used to drink becuase i blamed the stress of work when it was all going wrong and then i remembered i also drank when it all went well to celebrate! - very odd!
Old 11-27-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Welcome! So happy to hear you have committed to recovery! You will find a great deal of support here at SR. Best wishes.

Dom
Old 11-27-2012, 09:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi there, rainyengland. Welcome to SR, and I had every excuse in the world to drink also.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome from dark dank LOndon.

My story very much like yours

Grind it out, cravings drink thoughts the whole lot..just do not drink, give yourself time to get to a place where you can see clearly through the fog.

There are many ways to stay sober, this Forum is a real godsend, some great peeps on here.

You have everything to gain and absolutely nothing to lose by stopping.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR x
Old 11-27-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Welcome to SR!!
Old 11-27-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Nov.23, 2012

Welcome and all the best on the journey...it is day 5 for me...I can relate to your story...drink when it is bad at work or stressful but then think I should reward myself to celebrate when its good...or cut back and then say I will only drink on weekends...when friends are over...when I go out for dinner...when I go out for lunch with clients...before you know it we can trick ourselves into finding a special occasion to drink every day to justify it in our minds without having a problem. Keep reading the posts here and you will see you are not alone.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Rainyengland.
Glad to have you here.
Good decision!
You will look 35 in no time!
Old 11-27-2012, 10:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! It doesnt matter how long or how much you have been drinking, you are here now and making the commitment to stop. You will find tons of support here.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone-today has been a good day - actually look people in the eye without worry of do they know I'm a drunk!..drove past garage on way home from work and didnt think about stopping for red wine..know it's going to be tough and some days are going to be painfull but sure there is help when needed here :-)..nice waking up without that taste and what the hell did I do /say last nite- onwards!! :-)
Old 11-27-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome rainyengland!

There's nothing like a hangover-free morning! Congrats on getting sober - just take things one step at a time and be patient with yourself. It gets better and better. Glad you're here - this place helped me turn my life around.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Rainy

I'm UK too, also experiencing lots of rain.

Really nice to have you here.

Im about 288 days sober. I spend a lot of time on SR.

Like you I drank when I was happy, sad, excited, bored, my bus was late, grapes were on but one get one free, I got a bill in the post, my hair looked bad, I had a sore throat. I could go on and on.

Life is lots better now
Xx
Old 11-27-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR x
Old 11-27-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome RainyEngland
great to have you join us,

D
Old 11-27-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Welcome, I know that feeling that your going to faint I had that and worse going through my withdrawels... I used to like wine during good times, bad times infact anytime it's not strange its alcoholism...

So now you have stopped what's your plan??
Old 11-27-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi rainy. You sound positive, and ready for a healthier life. I got so tired of looking old, sad, and used up. It's amazing how much difference even a week of sobriety will bring.

I did the same thing you did - drank to deal with stress - drank to celebrate. Every day brought a new reason to get loaded. Holidays, death in family, vacation, health issues. Meanwhile, we're not really dealing with life or growing. We just stay on hold, sort of frozen and going through the motions. I'm glad you are realizing it's no way to live.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Don't think i have a plan - just taking it has it goes,tonite has been a bit of struggle as its usually wine time ...very thirsty - drinking gallons of cold lucozade!!what do others do for thirst- I know water is the best but I find it so boring :-(..chewing inside of my cheeks like a self harming cannibal as well!!

Alcoholism- difficult to admit

Thanks everyone for supporting comments - I hope i can pass these on at some point :-)
Old 11-27-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome- it's not always easy. Some days are great, some very very bad. But putting up with a little bit of rain is worth the lifetime of sunshine and sobriety. Good luck and keep going!!
Old 11-27-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome ! Glad you found us !