Notices

What will I do now?

Old 11-27-2012, 08:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What will I do now?

Now that I'm quitting the "sauce", what will I do to fill the void of not getting drunk? Suggestions?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
p***enger

i'm trying to figure out the same thing -- my only hobby, ever, has been drinking. I'm wondering, once my body gets clean, will i enjoy food? then maybe i'll learn to cook! ...right now, though, i'm such a newbie, i'm just playing solitaire and reading the forum to get through every hour.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What will you do now?

'Whatever you want.'

The thing of it is, by not drinking, you've removed a giant obstacle that would have otherwise prevented you from doing just about everything and anything.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

working out, reading books, going back to school, volunteer work.... lost of things to do !
Old 11-27-2012, 08:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

There are many facets to AA but one of the big ones is the fellowship. You get to meet people that do not drink. I golf, go to games, theater, TV, movies, dinner, and everything I used to do other than drink all with some great people I met at AA

Even if you are not an AA fan go to meet some people in recovery and you may learn something of value besides
Old 11-27-2012, 08:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

anything you want to except drink or drug
Old 11-27-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Running has been a big part of my sanity when I quit drinking. Some people may not be in running shape, so I would suggest walking first for them. I also picked up guitar at 37. Started while I was still dranking, but am really moving forward with it now that I don't.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Inkwell. Welcome to SR!

I agree with all the above - do whatever you want to keep yourself busy. Exercising helps a lot. Start to study something that you always wanted.

Courage - You will enjoy food, I can tell you. I used to think that without a glass of wine a dinner just not a dinner. I'm quite fine without it now.

There is a thread with a lot of great advices -give try to some of them.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...w-members.html
Old 11-27-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
YEM
05/07/2011

I have found that as time passes with me being clean, many new interests have come up. I fell in love with music again, I appreciate the small things in life that went by unnoticed while I was high, I find great value in being outside, in forming new and restoring old relationships. Just the fact that I am finally present has been really life changing.

If you are no longer controlled by drugs or alcohol, there is really no limit on what you can do with your life. If you continue to drink or use, all you will do is drink and use. Don't be a slave.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

When I first got sober I felt like that too, I had to fill a void with something. I went to the gym a ton, read new books, even played video games (I'm NOT a gamer usually lol). Went to lots of movies, reconnected w/ friends I had lost touch with, volunteered my time with local places around the holidays (I quit just before Christmas too, there's LOTS to volunteer for!). After some time, my life was all new and different, and looking back now I have absolutely no idea how I had ANY time to drink! You have an opportunity to live this one life however you want, the possibilities are endless!
Old 11-27-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You are no longer chained to a bottle!!! congrats!!

you can do anything you set your mind to, drive anywhere, anytime, not worrying. you can think clearly, speak clearly and remember what you are doing. You can save a lot of $$, improve your health, accomplish tasks and finish what you've started. You can apply yourself to school, your job or find a better one. You can repair friendships and start new ones. You can feel better every morning without a hangover.

the possibilities are endless as to what you CAN do.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Everything you have been doing but better.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What are your dreams?
Old 11-27-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think there is going to be a time period that is just going to be getting acclimated to not drinking; sure I used to play guitar, golf and do other things but drinking was part of it, it took time before doing those things sober felt right, it may take time before being content comes easy, meantime don’t give up, it does get better.

Welcome to SR!
Old 11-27-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The beauty of unchaining yourself from the bottle and the drunken way of life is you can do anything you want to do. Choices are one of the true miracles of sobriety for me.

Hard to fathom in the beginning. My first thoughts sober included "How am I going to go to four weddings without drinking??"

But I have yet to meet the person in sobriety who said, "This sober life is good, but punching the time clock as a drunk was much better."
Old 11-27-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I spent as much time as I could reading the forums, googling what I could expect upon quitting drinking, going to work and reading the big book. I was a prisoner in my own mind and home. Quitting was freeing. Yes I had heard that phrase before, and I kinda smirked when I finally felt it. I could drive at anytime I wanted. My first night that I went out of the house to walmart, it was about 9 at night. Whoa! I was sober, not passed out or too **** faced to go anywhere! Lol I was doing what normies do! It was a feeling I missed, and welcomed with open arms! 57 days later, I'm still reaping the benefits. I'm currently rearranging almost every room in my house. It's such an accomplished feeling! I love it! Embrace it! Congrats on making an awesome decision!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have been exercising a lot and reading. Kid activities also keep me busy.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

LIFESTYLE CHANGE! That is what Im doing. Posting here, reading, excercising, eating super well, taking courses, getting more education, creating better and healthier routines and habits, learning new things...and on crappy days, simply allowing myself to have a lazy one as my prioroty number one is sobriety. Even if I do only one thing a day on my list, I have decided that is a great start and it will get easier and easier the more I practice my new lifesyle.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

We've got the World Wide Web at our finger tips...that's how we all found this awesome website

Start typing and researching....there's a whole big world out there.

I love food and cooking and I got back in to that once I put the booze down and had a clear mind and energized body TO DO stuff.

Once the alcoholic fog lifts....you'll see that.

"Go as far as you can see, and when you get there, you will see farther" - Thomas Carlyle