Notices

Relapse & Health Crisis

Old 11-26-2012, 08:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapse & Health Crisis

I have a process addiction (not substances) and because it was not a usual kind I was able to deny it for 30 years. Then it started to take a major toll on my health and now I am in fight for my life.

I finally began to understand how my addiction and my health are connected – well sometimes I do and most of the time I am really good at denial and that it could possibly make me so critically ill.

So once I came to grips with my addiction last week I was able to tell myself I am “Clean” now and I deserve to get well. Well today I relapsed big and now I feel like my tiny progress is shot to hell and my physical problems are going to get worse.

Do other people feel so trashed when they relapse – I feel like God is going to whack me and what the fails to do I will finish.

I am suckin the bottom again...AGAIN!!
Old 11-26-2012, 08:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are you talking about alcohol abuse?
Old 11-26-2012, 08:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes Razzle, I took my slips and relapses hard.

I don't know exactly what's going on for you, is it like an OCD thing?

You might take a look at the AVRT thread. The technique could work with compulsions, I suppose. I've used it to quit drinking and also smoking.

hang in there and don't give up.

Love from Lenina
Old 11-26-2012, 08:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

relapse, when it happens, can be a good time for you to reflect on what's missing from your program. it's a chance to add to or adjust your plan and make it into something stronger that will give you a more solid foundation to build the rest of your life on. relapses suck but the positive that you can take from them is that they're an opportunity to learn more about yourself and your issue. take time, don't mope and whatever you do, don't try to do the exact same recovery plan again and expect different results. add to your plan and/or adjust it. there's either something missing, something wrong or both. take this opportunity and don't waste it. keep fighting on and moving forward!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I had a lot of work to do on myself, too much self-hatred, resentments and zero dignity.
It wasn't easy, I fell many times before the message got etched into my brain like a commandment, that "I did not 'have to' live that way anymore." No of us has to do it, we either chose to do it or we get lazy and allow that other part of our brain to take control.
Anyway, don't hate on yourself, get back to it and figure out what is the source of the 'process'.