Notices

Truth is I'm scared.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Truth is I'm scared.

Been using alcohol/ drugs for so long to numb my feelings I'm not sure I can face life without them.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Of course you can. In fact, life is much more fulfilling without being overtaken by the bottle. Instead of being scared, try to be positive and say "I can do this, damnit!" If you are concerned about withdrawal, try to see a doctor. You can do this! Believe in yourself, we believe in you. Best wishes.

Dom
Old 11-26-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
YEM
05/07/2011

The truth is, you never have to use drugs or alcohol again if you don't want to. Its not easy at first but with time and some honest work on yourself it gets much easier. I would try and find a fellowship or program that works for you and go regularly.

I had to push the reset button on my entire life and basically start over. I made new friends that are clean/sober, I cut all ties and have slowly began rebuilding relationships with my family and righting the wrongs of my past. Stick around here and know that people have gone thru what you are going thru and that there is light on this side. Stay strong.

My life is 1000 times better than I ever dreamed it could be and I wouldnt trade it for the world.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know this may sound trite, but, it really will be okay. I never believed I could stop drinking. I drank a lot every single day. It was hard. It helped seeing that others believed I could do it. You can quit. You will find a lot of believers here.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was scared, too, when I stopped drinking. I'd been a drunk for so long I didn't remember what it was like to be sober.

But things got bettter as I gradualy got some sober time behind me.

I don't miss those days of wanting to quit with the anxiety, fear and a sober life ahead of me that I feared so much.
There is nothing to fear, though. You WILL feel better given time.

I know what you're going through. Keep posting and reading, many of us have been in your shoes.

My best to you.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by padlock View Post
Been using alcohol/ drugs for so long to numb my feelings I'm not sure I can face life without them.
I think you just have to have faith that so many people before you have managed to face life sober after a lifetime of using. It is possible and even fun. I like to look at is a an experiment. Whatever happens I know that drinking won't make things better so I am just learning what other stuff does You can do this Padlock x
Old 11-26-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by YEM View Post
The truth is, you never have to use drugs or alcohol again if you don't want to. Its not easy at first but with time and some honest work on yourself it gets much easier. I would try and find a fellowship or program that works for you and go regularly.

I had to push the reset button on my entire life and basically start over. I made new friends that are clean/sober, I cut all ties and have slowly began rebuilding relationships with my family and righting the wrongs of my past. Stick around here and know that people have gone thru what you are going thru and that there is light on this side. Stay strong.

My life is 1000 times better than I ever dreamed it could be and I wouldnt trade it for the world.
Took the words out of my mouth. You never have to drink/drug again!

Many have gone before you and were successful you can do it to.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

you can. anyone can. you'll probably be surprised how strong you can be, if you'd like.

i drank a lot because i too was afraid of stopping and facing the world.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm going through that right now. The alcohol did a decent job of numbing my feelings. For 7 years before that it was anti-anxiety pills. All of a sudden I'm feeling again, and it's the most horrific experience of my life thus far. But I have to ask myself, would I rather exist as a zombie, or feel my emotions - both good and bad? Right now it's all bad, but I know the good will come. I'm choosing to live rather than exist.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It is scary. There is hardly a day goes by I don't have a bad memory or tear up but this is so much better than going through life as an alcoholic zombe which I was for much of my life
Old 11-26-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i know what you mean...
Old 11-26-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes, I know what you mean.....the thought of not having a crutch to lean on is very scary. I feel the same way. But when I read other peoples experiences on this site it does give me courage. This time of the year in particular will be very difficult with all the celebrations etc, but obviously, you have reached a point where you no longer want to live your life dependent on drugs and alcohol so keep strong and determined.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I believed that I could not face life without drugs and alcohol but what I found was that I reached a point where it didn't matter. I could no longer live life with drugs and so, there was nothing to lose. As it turned out, I could face life without drugs and alcohol and it was better than I could have imagined.