Notices

New here and trying not to drink today

Old 11-24-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here and trying not to drink today

I have gone to several AA meetings but I'm a bit of an introvert and can't seem to get comfortable enough to engage. I don't have a sponsor and I'm not comfortable speaking up to ask for one. Need a little help as I'm feeling very withdrawn since quitting.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You have found a good place. I am a great introvert and SR helps me daily. Welcome
Old 11-24-2012, 03:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi walkingonglass

I have no experience with AA but I wanted to welcome you

Welcome!
D
Old 11-24-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you. Makes me emotional just reading the welcome messages. That's what kind of day I'm having
Old 11-24-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi walkingonglass - we're so glad to have you here. SR saved me from a lifetime drinking habit - I was shredded when I came crawling in here. It was knowing I wasn't alone anymore that really helped me have hope. No one else in my life got me, or even tried to understand what I'd been through.

I'm glad you've reached out for a better life. You can do this.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My boyfriend broke up with me just before Thanksgiving because I've been depressed and withdrawn since quitting. Without work or him, all I can think about is wanting to drink and trying to talk myself out of it. It's been a month. I wasn't prepared for this emotional upset and finding the battle very difficult today.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by walkingonglass View Post
My boyfriend broke up with me just before Thanksgiving because I've been depressed and withdrawn since quitting. Without work or him, all I can think about is wanting to drink and trying to talk myself out of it. It's been a month. I wasn't prepared for this emotional upset and finding the battle very difficult today.
Wow...my ex and I split on Halloween actually, I relapsed into a 3-week binge after being sober 3 months. I wasn't ready for that emotional upset either, and I obviously failed.

I'm also an introvert, AA is not for me, I'm way too shy and maybe intimidated by being so public about my problems. I've only joined this site yesterday, which was my day 1, and it helped me so much, there is so much support. My vow is to stay sober, but also to help myself by coming here every day, several times a day if I want to. It keeps me honest. I don't have family/friends support, and am all alone and I was afraid I couldn't do it, but just having this outlet and these new friends has proven a wonderful motivator for me. Good luck and don't drink today!
Old 11-24-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Just try to remember it won't give you the comfort you're seeking. I kept going back to it, thinking it would somehow make me feel the way it used to. The old days of enjoying it to relax are gone, and never coming back. Somewhere I crossed the line - and now when I drink it only brings danger and uncertainty.

Be kind and patient with yourself. You're going through a hard time, no wonder you're looking for relief. If you can stay sober, each day should be a little better. Keep posting and reading here - we all understand how you feel.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Rose2012, your post made me smile. There are other people like me for whom AA doesn't feel like a good thing. And it's not at all that I don't believe in the steps, I'm just not ready to be open in a group like that yet.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by walkingonglass View Post
Rose2012, your post made me smile. There are other people like me for whom AA doesn't feel like a good thing. And it's not at all that I don't believe in the steps, I'm just not ready to be open in a group like that yet.
There was another thread that I was reading yesterday, I actually cut and pasted it in a file so I could read it daily, this is the link:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...lve-steps.html

I'm could never relate to the AA wording...but this version made more sense to me, and I've been reading this over and over. I'm using it as my own tool for change and daily thought. Maybe it'll help you too?
Old 11-24-2012, 03:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi walkingonglass, just wanted to say a very big welcome to you, im new here, but i can tell you this site has been a life line to me, I really cant believe i found it, i read peoples posts and think wow thats me thats how i feel. people that for the first time get and understand.
Im not been to aa iv just started addiction therapy. but i do find reading others quotes and experiances usful to my recovery.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post Rose

And also to the initial poster - PaperDolls. It makes the 12 steps a little more accessible. I'm in a struggle myself and this helps a lot.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Walking and welcome. Life gets so much better when you are sober. Lots of people get and stay sober without AA.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

welcome to SR walkingonglass
Old 11-24-2012, 05:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome! I found SR & hope from the people who have beaten addiction.
It can be done. There are lots of success stories here
Old 11-24-2012, 05:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Hi and welcome, walkingonglass. There are many resources where you can find help (including this site) and not have to face people and speak out. I'm the king of the introverts, so I know exactly what you mean.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family!
Old 11-24-2012, 07:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!! Also, one month sober is something to be proud of. You will find lots of support and inspiration on here!!!