Notices

On the cusp of loosing my sobriety

Old 11-24-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

On the cusp of loosing my sobriety

I have been sober 118 days. I had a difficult holiday and feel like I am going to drink. I am afraid I am going to drink. Need support
Old 11-24-2012, 11:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You have come so far . Don't give up. Remember what it was like when you decided to quit. Remember what you went through. Do you really want to go back to that? You can do this.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you've had a rough holiday, but drinking isn't going to make it any better. I've hung around SR, when I was in early recovery, to be reminded of that.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-24-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Positivefuture.

Don't listen to your addiction. Let is pass. Let yourself be in bad mood, lazy, whatever. It will be over soon, and when it passes you won't regret your relapse, but will feel thousand times stronger. Where's discomfort, there's growth. Make youself some tea, or what you like and go to bed early.

“Everything will turn out right, the world is built on that.”
― Mikhail Bulgakov, The Master and Margarita

Take care.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah, what he said. Try to remember the way you'll feel the next morning. Uugghh, hairy teeth and all!

From what I read on here it gets even better after 3 months and you are almost there!

Its just a substitute, I know, but I find if I drink an energy drink, I get super motivated and into a project which takes my mind off of the craving. I know caffeine, etc. is mood altering but its never put me in jail. And this second week, I've done that only 3 times compared to 6 in the first week - so I don't think its a huge problem.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Same as others. Personally I sometimes I had filmed myself in the last few days. I could watch it when I feel like having just one beer.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hang in there Positivefuture,
We are all rooting for you .. this is only a tempoary feeling, all things come to pass, so shall this . At 6 months sober a dysthymia/depression i didn't know i had lifted .

Bestwishes, M
Old 11-24-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

picking up wont make anything better, is only going to make it worse. Whats you plan for the day? Whats your recovery plan.

I would post here talk to another addict in recovery, read some recovery literature ...
Old 11-24-2012, 12:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You have our support. Make tomorrow #119.....not #1. 118 days is a great accomplishment - don't give in!
Old 11-24-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

Hang on to your recovery. Did something happen during the holidays to upset you? Holidays are always a difficult time to get through, but you can get through this.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Dts

The holidays are a really trying time. I know, I quit 5 days before thanksgiving last year.

Hang in there like the others have said, you've made it a long way!!!!!
To me there's nothing going back will fix, and I understand feelings are hard to deal with but you can do it!!!!!!!!
Old 11-24-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Don't do it...I blew nearly 90 days 2 weeks ago and deeply regret it now...
Old 11-24-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you had a bad holiday PF

Instead of drinking to get over the bad feelings why not try something else - some meditation, some exercise, go treat yourself to a meal, a movie...do something nice for yourself

Do you have any support besides SR?

D
Old 11-24-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'll just repeat what everyone else has said: DON'T DRINK! It won't make anything better and will actually make things worse, not to mention having to start all over. You can get thru this. Hang on to your sober time and don't mess it up!
Old 11-24-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Both my friends and family are all big drinkers. The holiday was spent with much temptation. Until that point I successfully avoided being in any situation with alcohol. I am starting to realize that I am doing to have to distance myself. I really don't have much support. Thank you all for your support.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi positive . There are so many firsts for you in this year, all these holidays...your first ones sober! Everyday really is a milestone in sobriety. Play back your 118 days to your first day. Where were you? How were you? It is ok to see you need to make a few changes right now to support sobriety, it really is life or death. Time will pass and you will look back and be so grateful for making it through tis time.

Congratulations on your sobriety.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always found it rough after being with drinkers too....but you did it
Don't break your stride now PF

D
Old 11-24-2012, 03:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you very much! Some days I can get thru the day just fine and others it is so difficult. I am going to do everything I can to make it to 119 than you all so much for your support.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Pos, I think you are right about distancing yourself from people who drink, although you really can't distance yourself from the family (usually), I went 4 months and 5 months sober and i think it was around two years sober one time back around ten or fifteen years ago, i can't even remember, but what pushed me over the edge is hanging around with people who drink,they are on a different level with the endorphines than a sober person, i felt like odd man out, i just about had a nervous breakdown for real. i've pretty much givin up on myself as i drink beer six in the last six hours, so i'm certainly not the best person for giving advice, but like you said, distance, that would have helped me.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It is almost 8 o'clock here so I am thinking you survived the temptations and will be waking up feeling really proud of 119 days.

The holidays are definitely difficult, and it seems like your friends and family are still drinking which makes it harder. Do you have any other support systems in place?

Post to koror and let us know how you are doing!!!