Notices

Is it just me, or is booze EVERYWHERE...?

Old 11-23-2012, 06:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

Ooops, did I miss a joke?? I'm all about keeping things light. I'm a total goofball 24/7.

I think we should type in our Boston accents from now on and see if people can understand us
Old 11-23-2012, 06:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

A heard a woman say how she was practically quivering upon arrival at a fancy party....the goblets, the chilled wine all lined up....all so beautiful. She stopped herself right then and said " You are not a beautiful drinker! You don't sip a glass or two throughout the evening from a lovely goblet. You'll be drunk and puking in no time at all.....then the big hangover.......NOT beautiful at all!"
Old 11-23-2012, 06:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JJay View Post
Ooops, did I miss a joke?? I'm all about keeping things light. I'm a total goofball 24/7.

I think we should type in our Boston accents from now on and see if people can understand us
Hahahaha, yeah I don't think my humor always translates well over the internet. Total goof over here too.

"Ah final ahs just disappeah, but wheah they go we've no idear."
Old 11-23-2012, 06:58 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pondlady View Post
A heard a woman say how she was practically quivering upon arrival at a fancy party....the goblets, the chilled wine all lined up....all so beautiful. She stopped herself right then and said " You are not a beautiful drinker! You don't sip a glass or two throughout the evening from a lovely goblet. You'll be drunk and puking in no time at all.....then the big hangover.......NOT beautiful at all!"
I kind of want to give that lady a high-five.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I have always pondered this very fact. I am on a suboxone treatment for opiate addiction. I have always been in total control when drinking but opiates , forget about it. Anyways I have always thought that recovering alcoholics must have some of the strongest will power. Just wanted to let you all know that I am impressed with anyone who can stay sober in the face of a society that bombards you with alcohol. Hats off to you
Old 11-24-2012, 12:50 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I was born during the Prohibition era. That period gave rise to the family ritual of "cocktails", or at least vastly increased any preexistent custom. Folks all across the land were in rebellion. The police would never interfere with what went on in family gatherings. Every now and then they'd raid a speakeasy but there were lots of payoffs, lots of corruption. So social drinking, along with smoking, became "adult" and "sophisticated". In Hollywood there were countless films of suave sophisticates with long cigarette holders holding glasses of champagne. Then when Prohibition was repealed and Roosevelt got in, we had newspaper stories featuring F.D.R. jaunty with his long cigarette holder proud of pouring what he thought were the finest martini's in town, whereas in fact many guests admitted that they had trouble keeping a straight face.
So the culture became schizoid. in one sense, folks with drinking problems, folks like us on S.R., were "funny", "feckless", etc. W.C. Fields made a career out of that. In another sense, alcoholics were not "adult", like their sophisticated betters, who looked down their noses and patronizingly inquired, "Well, what will youhave? gingerale?. This ambivalence continued until the late 1950's and 1960's and then came the drugs, formerly an affliction of the down and outs. So now "recreational" drugs became the fashion, even or especially among the "sophisticates".
What motivates all this? Money, the ultimate addiction, preying on the weakness and gullibility of others. A recovering alcoholic must somehow learn by "unlearning", learn how to dump all the conditioning imposed by an alcohol and drug saturated society, learn how to become a true adult, no longer dependent on what others do or think. We must find a way of rising above it.It's a long uphill path, steep and rocky at the start, but it leads to the sunlight at the top of the hill.

W.