Notices

Young Adults In Recovery

Old 12-16-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Hey what happened to everyone? This was such a great thread for the short time it was around! Hope fellow young people are having a good sober weekend!
Old 12-16-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  
Your Sober Friend

This weekend was...I don't even know a word to be honest. Definitely a weekend I'll never forget for good and bad reasons. 61 days sober.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 61 days Brian! Keep it up!
Old 12-18-2012, 03:11 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  
Your Sober Friend

Well I successfully made it through finals and breaking up with my girlfriend all without touching a drop of alcohol. So proud of myself How's everyone else doing?
Old 12-18-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  

I am 22 & trying to stay sober because I lash out on loved ones when drunk & get very aggressive & hateful with my boyfriend who I love & have been with for 2 years.. I have tried to quit several times but fail every attempt. I've failed because I feel I will lose a social life if I quit since all my friends want to go out to bars/clubs when we go out. It hasn't even been a month since my last drink, but it's been a huge bummer for me when I still try to go out with friends since everyone else is drinking. Any words of advice?
Old 12-18-2012, 06:12 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

I'm 28 and just on day 2. I've made it 5 months sober a few years ago. Time to start again. I will sure be happy once the withdrawals pass! I seem to forget how terrible they are every time. *sigh*
Old 12-19-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Hello all. I am 29. I am on day 7 again!. Made it to day 8 last month. Very worried about the future. I feel like everything will be boring without my wine or alcohol (sounds insane) Worried about christmas eve and New years eve. Worried about everything. I am just so grumpy without drinking. Any advice? Does this feeling go away?
Old 12-19-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Hello you all! Checking in on my favorite blog Great to see some new faces!!

In response to being worried/scared about not having fun, losing your social life, i'm not going to lie ... for me, it hasn't been the easiest thing I've done, but it's possible. With that said, every new experience I have sober, I find myself so incredibly proud of myself for getting through it. The key here is to find someone who is your supporter, your accountability partner. you can find them in AA, in a significant other, parent, etc. Someone that has your sobriety at the top of their list, someone who understands that if you took ONE more drink, it could mean death to you. When you have someone by your side, they are your sound reason when you may be having a break down. I was surprised to see how much social anxiety I have about certain situations ... when I drank I was the life of the party. But - I've gotten through those situations sober, and I've had a good time. I've proven to myself that I am a fun, loving, and compassionate girl with a great sense of humor. It's such a big self esteem boost. You have to look at alcohol for what it is- it steals your identity, it doesn't make it. It feeds you lies and robs you of your self control. Trust me, although you may feel like you are a more fun person drunk, those that truly love you will tell you that you are a better person sober.

Just my 2 cents! How's everyone doing with the holiday's coming up? Right now I'm feeling a little self absorbed in myself due to the fact that my eating habits have SUCKED lately. I think some of this has to do w/ drinking. I can't drink, so my next social indulgence is eating. I hurt my back really bad working out, so for now it's light exercises and the couch for me. I'm ready for the New Years to be here so I can embark on some resolutions! Let's here resolutions!
Old 12-20-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Hi all! Jjay, thanks for starting this thread, it is much appreciated. I havent had a chance to read through everyone's posts, but i will. Especially on NYE, which i am sort of dreading.

I'm 33 and working on day 5. I am struggling so im grateful for this forum. it keeps me honest and inspired. Anyway, just wanted to say hi.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, all. Just a quick check in to see how everyone's doing. I'm not actually counting, but tracker say it's Day 67.

CNH08 - welcome! Congrats on Day 5! The first week is hard, but you've almost done it. Reading and posting here helped me a lot, and still helps. Stick around)

Katiedid - one thing at a time) First, fix sobriety, then eating will catch up) Sorry about your back. As for Holidays - make a plan to keep yourself busy and have fun. Shift your focus from food to something interesting. Easier say than do, I know). Resolutions? I promise I will finally get my 6-pack abs back)

And my best wishes to all.

Have a good day)
Old 12-21-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Hey guys, new to the forum, about 3 days sober. My little brother decided today that he is going to try to quit drinking as well. We are 24 and 23 respectively. Glad to see there are plenty of people my age trying to do this. Would love to find some sober buddies out there. Heading out to the first meeting of the season.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:36 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Location: Las Vegas, Nevada... Originally from Cincinnati, Ohio
Good job to you! Keep it up both of you! You can do it!
Old 01-08-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  
Huh?

I have been here for 29 cycles around the sun.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Hey guys. I'm relatively new to the forum, 30 years old and currently 24 days sober. Big sports fan, love movies, music and Xbox/PS3.

Speaking of movies, since I've been sober I've been BURNING through my Netflix instant queue! My girl and I watched 3 movies this weekend, one last night and currently watching another.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Hey, I tried to read most of the posts on this thread. I'm 28 in the NYC area. This is my second attempt at sobriety. I read someone in the beginning say how their mind starts racing on Friday and Saturday nights - I get this big time. I am relatively fine all week, but when the weekend hits it like a different mentality. I don't know if its because I know there are so many things going on, or if that was the major part of my pattern (binge drinking on the weekends, occasional cocaine use while drunk). I am working Friday and Saturday night this week, so going out is not a question, but it is absolutely my biggest hurdle. What does everyone do to keep their weekends interesting, and themselves occupied/not thinking about drinking (on weekends)?
Old 01-08-2013, 09:40 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  

I'm (just!) 31 and 1 week sober. While most of my friends don't consider themselves "problem" drinkers there has definitely been a recent shift within my social circle to search for non drinking activities. It's amazing how the world opens up when you're not limited to places you can walk or cab to because the assumption is that you'll have too much to drink in order to drive. We've been bowling, swimming, hiking. You get to relive all those things that were exciting before you were old enough to drink!
Old 01-08-2013, 10:18 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Totally obsessed with American Horror Story! The second season is even creepier than the first.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Is anybody still reading/replying to this thread?