Notices

A Strange Malady

Old 11-22-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Strange Malady

I can't sleep at night. I've taken to sleeping all morning. Its like monstors under the bed and in the closets. The slightest noise and I'm up and about. Working with my PTSD therapist but doesn't just go away. Drinking helped me here but it wasn't drinking it was passing out. Just need to keep working it and trust it will adjust. Staying on line in the evening helps but as people go away its like I am on the front alone. Always work to do, always progress to be made.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hiya fitz. Have you considered getting a good sleep routine going? The golden hour before you settle down, avoid computers & electric things, relax, read a book, bath and settle. I did a whole weekend spa week on better sleep and routine was no1 top tip. If you can't sleep don't busy yourself just relax and tell your body this is sleep time! I have no tv, computer or anything in my bedroom. It's my sanctuary.

Hope you get some rest soon.

S x
Old 11-22-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I will give anything a try. I think it is like a foxhole thing. Or a family thing, my mom mentioned this morning she would rather not sleep then have the dreams she has.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Most nightmares are caused by a too hot room. Tjat os the mist common cause. Your mind is going to extremes to wake you up to get you to cool down. My mum had horrendous nightmares till she changed her duvet to a lower togg, turned KFC the hearing and cracked open a window even in winter.

There's some good tips here:
Mobile Site Preview
Old 11-22-2012, 03:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have like war dreams
Old 11-22-2012, 03:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Melatonin. If you've not heard about this natural supplement, talk to your Doctor about it and if it is right for you.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks I take it also doen the bigger stuff like Seroquel.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I used to just get and behave as though the night was my day, take the dogs for a walk, read do other stuff and gradually my routine adjusted until I was sleeping at night.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I had a lot of trouble getting sleep in my early recovery.

Slowly I was able to get 3 to 4 hours and that was not going to bed until 1:30 to 2:00am.

That sufficed for several hours into recovery.

Then I was talking to my Mom and she informed me that I have always been a 'night'
person. Even as a baby, she would purposely try to keep me awake so that I would
sleep nights and it never worked. My sleeping night time was from 4am or so until 1 or 2 pm with one wake up for a change and a bottle.

Then when I hit adulthood and had to work, I had to actually TRAIN myself to sleep at
night so I could actually be awake and alert at my job which started at 8am my best
SLEEPING TIME.

I now usually got to bed somewhere around 4 or 5am and sleep until about NOON and
I am getting enough rest. Some times if I need a nap I might like down for an hour or
so at 6 or 7pm.

There are people (me for one) whose internal clocks are set differently. Every time I
have been hospitalized, the night nurses have quickly commented on the fact that I
must be a 'night person.'

So you might like to try accommodating your 'internal clock', going to bed very late,
getting up by NOON or so and you can still do your deliveries to the homeless. It
would be worth a try and in the process you might find yourself actually getting some
rest and not stressing about when or how much you sleep. It is worth a shot.

I have a gal friend that is still working, she is not quite ready to retire, she is an RN
at one of the hospitals here, and she ALWAYS works 'swing shift' 6pm to 6am, be-
cause that is her 'best' time of day.

Try different sleeping times/cycles and see which one actually works for you.

Just a thought.

Love and hugs,
Old 11-22-2012, 09:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I thought maybe I had day/night inversion from all the drinking trashing my liver but nope...I am just a night person. Left to my own devices I would rarely get up before noon. Luckily for me my job is from about 4:00 pm to 11:45 pm-12:15 am. Works great! Unluckily for me, when school resumes in Jan I will have an 8:00 am class!
Old 11-22-2012, 09:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks all as always